BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Clydesdales/Athenas Tri-N 4 Weightloss Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2018-03-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Clydesdales/Athenas Tri-N 4 Weightloss Group - OPEN

Originally posted by leatherneckpa

BIKE

• 21m
  • 4.20 miles
  • 12.00 Mi/hr

30ºF and WINDY!  Nope, not going for that 1st bike ride of spring today! Went to the Y instead. Dropped the grandson (4) off at Child Watch. Cool idea, they get to play while we get our workout in.

Andrew, sorry to hear you were down and out.  Hope you feel up to your run today.

Robin, getting a little worried.  Not like you to be offline for so many days.  Hope all is well.

Im back. I have been sick with some mystery cold/allergy/infection that no doc seems to be able to figure out. I also went camping near Charleston last weekend. I'll be getting back to training today and get back to being here regularly.

2018-03-18 9:54 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Better week last week,

5 runs for 2 hours 10 minutes. Which is my highest total for the year so far.

Yay for small victories.
2018-03-21 9:20 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog Better week last week, 5 runs for 2 hours 10 minutes. Which is my highest total for the year so far. Yay for small victories.

Good for you!

PS ALL victories are BIG victories.

2018-03-25 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Very quiet again.

This was a semi-crap week. I did get a couple of runs it but I desperately need to get my training schedule in order.

2018-04-04 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Happy Easter everybody, by which I mean Robin and Andrew.  Wow, you two have been quiet.  I had the "end of the marking period" crunch, last minute homeworks being turned in and graded, lots of religious activities (Catholic school), and of course, Easter break.  I was a little busy.

BUT, I did not let that stop me from squeezing my workouts.  I finished March exactly on pace.  I had never followed a plan before and the idea of a "recovery week" was total anathema to a hard charging Marine, even an old one.  But I think I could learn to appreciate those weeks.

For all of March I only got to get my bike out for two real road rides.  Can somebody explain something to me?  How is it possible, on an out and back course, to have to work against a headwind BOTH ways!?

2018-04-17 11:18 AM

User image

Too Late to Join????

Name:
My username is TX Jeepr however real name is Judson. I have had many nicknames growing up but this seems to be a family forum so I will stick with the one that has fit my lifestyle for so long I can’t remember.

Story:
I do have a Facebook page and also LinkedIn, but I don’t use social media as much. I prefer to be busy outside if all possible.
I played all the sports growing up Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track and Soccer. Back in the day you could enjoy all the sports and not have to be focused on one. Closer to graduating HS I focused on Soccer and ending up playing D1 until I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL in flash of a moment. It forever changed my career is the world of competitive soccer. I struggled to focus on school as my playing career was over. This was in the 80s and the technology was not there to help me get to a place where I could possibly consider playing again.
So I quit school and found a job at UPS then quickly determined that I would need that education to further my career the way I wanted. So I worked full time and went to school at night. Skip ahead 10 years and I started playing rec over 30 soccer, it was fun for 7 years or so. During that time I started running some, but found my true love for cycling. I was not competitive but loved participating in local group rides and benefit rides. I had always loved the first vision I had of Ironman in the 80s on TV and it was had a draw to me. I could not wait until the following year to watch it again.
I am now 50 years old and a bit overweight (75lbs)…haha. However I have this desire of participating in activities like no other time in my life (mid-life crisis)? So instead of sitting in a boat chasing fish….with a fly rod in my hand, I want to enjoy what life has to offer.
Lastly, I believe that last year had a severe impact on my life’s view due to the event we experienced. In August of 2018 my house, contents and vehicles were all lost during Hurricane Harvey. When you have someone that you have never seen before much less spoken to, rescue you at your front door in a boat….it changes you, forever.
So here I am willing to change what I have not made an attempt to in a long time. It is a bit intimidating as I am not the 5’10” 185lb D1 athlete I once was.

Family Status:
Married 26 yrs to the bravest and smartest woman I have ever known (besides mom). I have a 22 yr old son who graduated from college over the summer and has moved onto his job and future. I have a 20 yr old daughter who is a junior in school and hoping to graduate soon.

Weightloss:
Now that the wife and I are empty nesters she was to become more active. My weight loss journey has had many ups and downs. I am currently ~75lbs over weight and have to make some changes now.

CURRENT TRAINING:
Limited to riding the Mt bike and walking periodically, in part as the house is still not complete from the storm in August of last year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
Maybe a Sprint at the end of this year. I have a few friends who are pushing me hard to commit, as then you have a goal to work towards and stay on schedule.

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES:
Positive experience and help and guidance through my journey.

2018-04-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: TX Jeepr

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by TX Jeepr Too Late to Join???? Name: My username is TX Jeepr however real name is Judson. I have had many nicknames growing up but this seems to be a family forum so I will stick with the one that has fit my lifestyle for so long I can’t remember. Story: I do have a Facebook page and also LinkedIn, but I don’t use social media as much. I prefer to be busy outside if all possible. I played all the sports growing up Baseball, Basketball, Football, Track and Soccer. Back in the day you could enjoy all the sports and not have to be focused on one. Closer to graduating HS I focused on Soccer and ending up playing D1 until I tore my ACL, MCL, and PCL in flash of a moment. It forever changed my career is the world of competitive soccer. I struggled to focus on school as my playing career was over. This was in the 80s and the technology was not there to help me get to a place where I could possibly consider playing again. So I quit school and found a job at UPS then quickly determined that I would need that education to further my career the way I wanted. So I worked full time and went to school at night. Skip ahead 10 years and I started playing rec over 30 soccer, it was fun for 7 years or so. During that time I started running some, but found my true love for cycling. I was not competitive but loved participating in local group rides and benefit rides. I had always loved the first vision I had of Ironman in the 80s on TV and it was had a draw to me. I could not wait until the following year to watch it again. I am now 50 years old and a bit overweight (75lbs)…haha. However I have this desire of participating in activities like no other time in my life (mid-life crisis)? So instead of sitting in a boat chasing fish….with a fly rod in my hand, I want to enjoy what life has to offer. Lastly, I believe that last year had a severe impact on my life’s view due to the event we experienced. In August of 2018 my house, contents and vehicles were all lost during Hurricane Harvey. When you have someone that you have never seen before much less spoken to, rescue you at your front door in a boat….it changes you, forever. So here I am willing to change what I have not made an attempt to in a long time. It is a bit intimidating as I am not the 5’10” 185lb D1 athlete I once was. Family Status: Married 26 yrs to the bravest and smartest woman I have ever known (besides mom). I have a 22 yr old son who graduated from college over the summer and has moved onto his job and future. I have a 20 yr old daughter who is a junior in school and hoping to graduate soon. Weightloss: Now that the wife and I are empty nesters she was to become more active. My weight loss journey has had many ups and downs. I am currently ~75lbs over weight and have to make some changes now. CURRENT TRAINING: Limited to riding the Mt bike and walking periodically, in part as the house is still not complete from the storm in August of last year. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Maybe a Sprint at the end of this year. I have a few friends who are pushing me hard to commit, as then you have a goal to work towards and stay on schedule. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Positive experience and help and guidance through my journey.

Welcome. I cannot imagine losing everything. We came very close to it during the wildfires here 2 years ago. The fire line was 200 ft from our home and we were evacuated with as much as we could put in the car (cats mostly) for 2 weeks.

About the sprint.... go ahead and register, it will give you something to work towards.

2018-06-04 12:35 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

can i join too? up to 175.4 lbs and was at 172 and want to eventually get down to 159....eek! used to be part of team skinny a very long time ago and need some accountability back. 

jackie (better get ready for my ride home!)

2018-06-11 6:00 PM

User image

New user

Ohio
Would it be possible for me to join? My history with weight loss/gain is probably too extensive to list completely, but my long story short is that my high weight was 368+ (probably closer to 380, but 368 is my official highest weight at the doctor's office). I began losing weight a couple of years ago and enjoyed some success through running and diet. I got down to 248 or so. Last year, I switched jobs and suffered a torn calf muscle that sidelined my running. Throughout 2017 I steadily gained weight until I found myself at around 315. Through running and diet I am now at 284. My goal is to get down into the 220s-230s and eventually run a sprint distance tri. Right now, I am signed up to run a 5k at the end of this month and a 4 miler in October. I am also considering signing up for a duathlon in September. My primary concern though is to keep losing weight without injuring myself and to learn more about the sport.
2018-06-12 7:04 AM
in reply to: Gobie

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. Lets do this thing.

This group has been foundering but we can revive it. I need some accountability still, too.

Welcome!

2018-06-12 7:13 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

My name is Robin,

I have been up and down thescale for a long time,  mostly up. I lost a bunch of weight 10 years ago and found triathlon. I was 48. I call myself an "adult onset athlete". I had done some active stuff: mountain biking, hiking, etc. but nothing truely athletic. I started running to lose weight and someone mentioned tri. I laughed, then secretly started researching it on the web. I found BT and the rest is history. I did my first spring then and felt like a goddess when I finished. I have done a few half marathons, a few Olympic distances and started training for a half. The last 6 years have been dramatic health-wise for my husband, and to a lesser extent, me. Of course, I gained 90 percent of the weight back. I am currently dealing with a minor illness, that has put a major dent in my training and my efforts to shed the weight. To quote an old movie, "I am not dead yet, I am feeling better". So onward and upward. I had to defer the NYC triathlon but I have an olympic distance and a sprint in August that I am training for.

2018-06-12 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi, Like Robin, I've been on these threads previously. And if there's some interest in breathing new life into them I'm keen to get back involved.

NAME: Bullfrog, it's an old nickname from my sailing days... It's against the rules to use real names Real name is Andrew, but no preference for which is used.

STORY: In 2009 I was almost 300lbs, started running to lose weight, running turned into a half marathon, which turned into a duathlon, which in turn turned into tris. The weight and fitness levels have been up and down ever since. I've done 7 half marathons, 12 sprint tris, 3 half irons and in March 2017 my sole Ironman (16:49:xx finish) Since then I've been on a hiatus from tris as in June 2017 Mrs Bullfrog and I welcomed our first baby to the family, so training very much took a back seat. Now the little monster is a year old I'm hoping to get back to more regular training, focusing on running only for the next year or 2 due to time constraints, but who knows when the multisport bug will bite again.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a 1 year old baby boy, and a 3 year old spoiled dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: Running with the dog when I can, 3 times a week recently, aiming to get up to 5-6 in the next month or so.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 'Raced' a half marathon in May, to confirm how unfit I am. Looking to enter a 5 race half marathon series over the NZ summer. Also considering entering some ocean swim events (shh don't tell Mrs Bullfrog) no biking or tri's on the horizon for me.

WEIGHTLOSS: Up and down like a yo-yo. Have been up near 300lbs, and as low as 210 when in good shape. In the last 12 months got up to about 290lbs, currently 277, want to get back under 200. It's a long term project...

Although I'm only running at the moment, I fully intend to return to Tris at some point, when family life allows. And I do think I've got a bit of experience, which I'd like to share if it's any help to you guys.

**EDIT: Oh yes, almost forgot, I rolled my ankle on the weekend, which is still sore 3 days later. So may be currently injured. Crossing my fingers it's right soon.

Edited by bulfrog 2018-06-12 10:23 PM
2018-06-12 10:21 PM
in reply to: TX Jeepr

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by TX Jeepr

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
Maybe a Sprint at the end of this year. I have a few friends who are pushing me hard to commit, as then you have a goal to work towards and stay on schedule.

Your friends are right! Having a race coming up and paid for does wonders for motivation levels. The end of the year is a long time away, if you work at it there's no doubt you can do a sprint by then.

Go on, take the plunge, you know you want to
2018-06-12 10:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by ceilidh
  • I had to defer the NYC triathlon but I have an olympic distance and a sprint in August that I am training for.

• How's the training going for your August tris Robin?

And, have you heard anything from Mike? He seemed to disappear again after restarting us here...
    2018-06-13 6:37 AM
    in reply to: #5237347

User image

Champion
    Bronze member
    I have hears nothing from Mike. I sent him a pm but nada.

I have been sidetracked by illness for tje last 6 months. I have neen doing some training, but not enough. However, knocking in wood, the last 2 weeks seem better. If I can keep this up, I won't suck too bad.
    2018-06-18 8:13 AM

User image

Master
    brummie land

hey all, i managed to lose a pound in my first week of being careful; then put it all back on again last week. argh!!! got an ibs flare up this week but down a bit and proper weigh in on friday. what i learnt last week is, is that i have to be careful all week if i am to lose weight/keep it off.

my motivation is hearing the news that even if you are fit but overweight you will have a increased chance of heart disease.

"Another recent study, which measured the metabolic health of more than 17,000 respondents, showed that overweight people who exercise regularly and consider themselves “fat but fit” still had a 28% increased risk of heart disease, compared to their slimmer counterparts."

my dad had heart surgery a few years and this has given me the kick up the a$$ i need to stop pretending that just doing cycling is enough.

my main difficulties are staying with the programme when i am stressed; i need to learn to better cope with anxiety issues without going for the pizza/beer option! 

on the good news front i am back from a shoulder injury so can slowly increase my bike miles again.

the rest of you: what are your motivations?

2018-06-20 1:41 PM
    in reply to: sappho96

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by sappho96

hey all, i managed to lose a pound in my first week of being careful; then put it all back on again last week. argh!!! got an ibs flare up this week but down a bit and proper weigh in on friday. what i learnt last week is, is that i have to be careful all week if i am to lose weight/keep it off.

my motivation is hearing the news that even if you are fit but overweight you will have a increased chance of heart disease.

"Another recent study, which measured the metabolic health of more than 17,000 respondents, showed that overweight people who exercise regularly and consider themselves “fat but fit” still had a 28% increased risk of heart disease, compared to their slimmer counterparts."

my dad had heart surgery a few years and this has given me the kick up the a$$ i need to stop pretending that just doing cycling is enough.

my main difficulties are staying with the programme when i am stressed; i need to learn to better cope with anxiety issues without going for the pizza/beer option! 

on the good news front i am back from a shoulder injury so can slowly increase my bike miles again.

My motivation is that my life is much easier when I weigh less and am more active. I hurt less, I can do more without getting tired, my arthritis does not hurt as much and I feel just better in general.

2018-06-20 10:22 PM

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Originally posted by bulfrog
    **EDIT: Oh yes, almost forgot, I rolled my ankle on the weekend, which is still sore 3 days later. So may be currently injured. Crossing my fingers it's right soon.

11 Days later, no maybe about it. After a lengthy visit to the Drs today, I have a suspected avulsion fracture in my foot. So on no running for another 10 days until a Drs revisit, where I will either be healing well, or referred off to an orthopedic surgeon.

So seeing as I'm on no running, I went for a swim last night. My first swim since Ironman NZ, 15 months ago. And man do I feel like it's been 15 months. Pace was actually ok, (50m intervals @ 1:45-1:50/100 pace) but the strength and endurance in my upper body is non existent. Still, it'll come back, and with my foot diagnosis today, it looks like there's a lot of swimming in my future.
    2018-06-20 10:33 PM
    in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
    Auckland, North Island
    Originally posted by sappho96

My weight is always up and down. Focus on the trend over a month or 2, not 7 days. 1 lb in a week is nothing to stress about. So long as the long term trend is down, you're golden.

My motivation is a couple of points,

1, I love the satisfaction of finishing endurance events.
    2, I have been fit(ish) and unfit, I enjoy fit more.
    3, I (mostly) enjoy training, It's 'me time' and I enjoy getting outside and doing something.
    4, I have previously dealt with depression, physical activity helps with that. While it's not the only reason to do something, or the only thing to help deal with depression, it's a part of it.
    2018-06-22 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog
    Originally posted by bulfrog **EDIT: Oh yes, almost forgot, I rolled my ankle on the weekend, which is still sore 3 days later. So may be currently injured. Crossing my fingers it's right soon.
    11 Days later, no maybe about it. After a lengthy visit to the Drs today, I have a suspected avulsion fracture in my foot. So on no running for another 10 days until a Drs revisit, where I will either be healing well, or referred off to an orthopedic surgeon. So seeing as I'm on no running, I went for a swim last night. My first swim since Ironman NZ, 15 months ago. And man do I feel like it's been 15 months. Pace was actually ok, (50m intervals @ 1:45-1:50/100 pace) but the strength and endurance in my upper body is non existent. Still, it'll come back, and with my foot diagnosis today, it looks like there's a lot of swimming in my future.

I hope you avert the surgeon. However, I dealt with foot pain for years, and while the surgery was painful healing, it is way better now than before.

2018-06-24 2:01 AM

HI, I can post my bio afterwards.

Is the group still open?

AJ

2018-06-24 6:26 AM
    in reply to: AJ_M

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by AJ_M HI, I can post my bio afterwards. Is the group still open? AJ

Welcome, AJ. It is.

2018-06-24 10:54 AM
    in reply to: #5244591

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
    Hey you guys. It's been a minute...

This is one of those "crawling back" posts because I know I need to get things rolling again.

I guess I'll start with my health. I am Diabetic again. Last a1c was 10.1. I'm back up to 171.5lb as of this morning. Still fighting HBP with the added bonus of chest pain (yes, my Dr knows)

There is some good-ish news. My shoulder/hand problems have minimized due to changing to a job that doesn't require all the heavy lifting. They're still there, but nowhere near as bad as they've been. I've also tools around the house to help me out. An old bowflex and dumbbells for weight training, A schwinn 130 exercycle until I feel safe enough to leave the house solo on the bike. Also, a nice pair of Hokas to get out on my feet.

One quick question... I've been looking for an app that will track diabetic, BP and diet. Problem is, I cant seem to find one that does all 3. Suggestions?
    2018-06-24 11:11 AM
    in reply to: #5245020

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
    Can't edit. That's *271.5 lbs*

I would kill to be 171... heheh
    2018-06-24 11:44 AM
    in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
    Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Can't edit. That's *271.5 lbs* I would kill to be 171... heheh

Welcome back. Every step forward is good.

I do not know of such an app. It seems there should be one, though.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Clydesdales/Athenas Tri-N 4 Weightloss Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
    Views: 938 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa