General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this another Fad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-16 6:15 PM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: Is this another Fad?
Someone posted this on Facebook and was wondering is this just another stupid Fad or not https://www.businessinsider.com.au/ketones-fuel-athletic-performance...
If it is not a Fad does it work best with a moderate/high Carbohydrate intake with Ketones, the article calls it the stacking effect

2018-02-17 3:27 PM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Elkins Park, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Is this another Fad?
Really interesting. I first I thought it was crap because when you are in ketosis, you discard a lot of the keytones via urine. But I did some additional research. This paragraph was interesting:

Beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) – After being keto-adapted for a couple of weeks, you will begin to convert the acetoacetate into BHB as it is a much more efficient source of fuel (it undergoes an additional chemical reaction that provides more energy for the cell than acetoacetate). In general, studies show that the body and brain prefer using BHB and acetoacetate for energy because the cells can use it 70% more efficiently than glucose.

However, I don't think ketones should be considered a macro. IT is the end result of bodily processes and I wonder what feedback the body gets from being artificially given higher levels of keytones...
2018-02-19 6:40 AM
in reply to: toastygloveman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

yes its stupid, and bad for you.

2018-02-20 11:32 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I just eat food and workout. Maybe if I were in the top 10 in the world I would obsess about things that can save me 3 seconds in an IM.
2018-02-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
It's unreasonable to live life on "diets" like this for the every day age grouper.
As mentioned before, maybe if you're a world class athlete and you have time to cycle your food like that and be VERY specific ALL THE TIME, it might be worth it.
I hate the word "diet" anyways... people diet to lose weight, lose weight, and then gravitate back to how they were eating before because the "diet life" was not sustainable.
I also hate the "hacks" approach to a quick fix that falls apart long term.

Also mentioned before, eat real whole foods, train, sleep and you'll be fine. Find a lifestyle and eating habit that works indefinitely that you can sustain without suffering... and if going Keto works for you forever, then knock it out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this another Fad? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I Ready??

Started by buckmaster
Views: 476 Posts: 4

2018-01-11 10:23 PM wenceslasz

5.10.17 I am 47 years young today!

Started by ingleshteechur
Views: 834 Posts: 14

2017-05-11 12:36 AM Shermbelle

Am I on my way to being ready for the full IM?

Started by swibiru2
Views: 983 Posts: 2

2017-04-08 1:21 AM Baowolf

Am I crazy?

Started by joshwennes
Views: 1511 Posts: 16

2017-03-15 9:23 AM jhaack39