General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Challenges Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-21 9:48 AM

Subject: Swim Challenges
Hey all - new to the triathlon world, and while I've done biking and some running (more sports related as opposed to specific running races) growing up, I was never a swimmer nor did I ever learn any strokes or spend much time in the pool growing up.

Been working on swim for last ~4 months and have done some time with a coach, but just trying to find something that will motivate me to go to the pool and make the swim more (or even somewhat) enjoyable. At this point, I can typically swim about 150m without stopping, and need to improve both technique and swim fitness.

Can anyone share some things they like about swimming or how they motivate themselves to get in the pool and push through workouts? I find myself getting bored very quickly while swimming, as the bottom of the pool looks the same every lap and with no real motivation to get myself to the pool. I think the fact that I have 20-30 minutes of prep work (ie grabbing swim bag and heading to pool and back) doesn't help, whereas with the bike or a run I can be starting my workout within 5 minutes.

Any tips/tricks that help people get motivated for the swim or help them start expanding their non-stop swim distance that they can share? I'm looking at April/May for triathlon season to begin and those would be 750m open water swims, so not sure my 150m in the pool would quite cut it at this point.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2018-02-21 10:14 AM
in reply to: new2swim

User image

Subject: RE: Swim Challenges
A structured workout made up of a lot of short interval sets. The only time I staring at the black line on the bottom of the pool is if I add a long swim. Meaning a straight 1000-2000 yd swim but I’m still thinking about stroke and pace. Normal workouts I’m thinking about pacing and hitting times. The only thing I can think of for motivation to actually get to the pool. I keep a spreadsheet with all my workouts. Having a goal for how many yds / yr I would like to reach helps.
2018-02-21 10:47 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Thanks for the input goggles - can you possibly provide a sample of something you'd recommend?

Trying to find something that will help me get more motivated, as well as improve my swim fitness, and I think it would be a repeating process where improving one would improve the other and keep things moving in the right direction.
2018-02-21 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
What makes my swims NOT boring is simply the structure that removes anything longer than 300 yards/meters.

I swim twice a week with a masters group so I just do the workout and I don't have to think about anything.

When on my own once, sometimes twice a week I simply do a bunch of 100's and 50's.

For example my typical workout would look like the following:

Warmup:
Swim 300
Kick: 200
Pull: 300

The swim part of the warmup could be 3 x 100 with 15-20 seconds rest in between.
The kick portion could be with fins or part with fins part without fins, up to you.
The pull is with a pull buoy and sometimes with paddles sometimes without. During the pull set you are thinking/concentration on your underwater pull, head position etc. that hopefully will carry over to your main set.

Main Set:
Swim 12x100 on 1:45
rest 1 minute
Swim 10x50 on 1:00

Cool Down:

So this simple workout would be 2700 yards/meters total.
For YOUR workout you can adjust things as needed. If you only want do so 1500 or 2000 yards total etc. simply reduce the warmup a little and cut down the number of 100's and 50's.

Adjust the intervals according to YOUR fitness/abilities.

Don't overthink things. If you just get your booty to the pool 3 times a week and just bang out some 50's and/or 100's you;ll work yourself up to being able to easily knock out that 750 come race day. But you need to keep at it and yes, fight the boredom.

Each week, try and improve your times. You will have "bad" days where you're just not swimming fast. Don't stress over it. Just put in the work it will pay off eventually.
2018-02-22 6:30 AM
in reply to: #5238410

I agree with the comments here. Stick to some shorter reps rather than just going for distance. I do one day a week of 50m and 100m reps and another day of 200m reps. Some times I swim a 1.2km but I find I get more from the shorter reps.
2018-02-22 7:09 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Originally posted by reecealan

Main Set:
rest 1 minute

Can you expand on this a bit - I see the 1:45 leave times, but not sure what type of rest period that leaves you. I can say for me a 1:45 leave time has me starting the second 100m when I'm about 10-15m away from finishing the first as I am swimming in the 2min/100m area.

Thanks!

2018-02-22 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Originally posted by new2swim

Main Set:
rest 1 minute

Can you expand on this a bit - I see the 1:45 leave times, but not sure what type of rest period that leaves you. I can say for me a 1:45 leave time has me starting the second 100m when I'm about 10-15m away from finishing the first as I am swimming in the 2min/100m area.

Thanks!

The intervals will be based on your level of fitness/what you're comfortable with. I simply listed what my current intervals look like. What you'll want to do is use an interval that will leave you 15-20 seconds of rest between each. If you use a pace clock on the pool deck, it's easier to use 15 or 30 sec. intervals because it's easy to remember and sometimes easier to read etc.

The way that workout is structured, I have nearly the same rest interval for both th 100's and 50's but I go harder in the 50's in terms of pace. I might come in at 1:25 etc. on the 100's but on the 50's I'll come in under 0:40 which is sub 1:20 per 100 pace wise.

If at first you feel you need 30 seconds rest or more that's fine, it's YOUR workout.

I have found that chopping swim workouts into smaller pieces makes the time go by a little quicker and the "win-win" is the fact that chopping it up results in faster open water swim times (750m, 1500m etc.).

In terms of progression I have tried two things over the years of which both have proven positive results.

Once you get "comfortable" hitting your intervals:

1. Reduce the interval (send off time), cut 2:00 down to 1:55 etc..
2. Increase the number of swims, increase from 5 x 100 to 7 x 100 etc.

This can reduce the amount of "boredom" because you are accomplishing you own "mini" goals as you progress through your training. Remember, you will have days where you're not gonna hit you targets. Don't get discouraged. Finish the workout, take a day or two off from the pool, then get after it the next time.
2018-02-22 10:44 AM
in reply to: reecealan

The intervals will be based on your level of fitness/what you're comfortable with. I simply listed what my current intervals look like. What you'll want to do is use an interval that will leave you 15-20 seconds of rest between each. If you use a pace clock on the pool deck, it's easier to use 15 or 30 sec. intervals because it's easy to remember and sometimes easier to read etc.

The way that workout is structured, I have nearly the same rest interval for both th 100's and 50's but I go harder in the 50's in terms of pace. I might come in at 1:25 etc. on the 100's but on the 50's I'll come in under 0:40 which is sub 1:20 per 100 pace wise.

If at first you feel you need 30 seconds rest or more that's fine, it's YOUR workout.

I have found that chopping swim workouts into smaller pieces makes the time go by a little quicker and the "win-win" is the fact that chopping it up results in faster open water swim times (750m, 1500m etc.).

In terms of progression I have tried two things over the years of which both have proven positive results.

Once you get "comfortable" hitting your intervals:

1. Reduce the interval (send off time), cut 2:00 down to 1:55 etc..
2. Increase the number of swims, increase from 5 x 100 to 7 x 100 etc.

This can reduce the amount of "boredom" because you are accomplishing you own "mini" goals as you progress through your training. Remember, you will have days where you're not gonna hit you targets. Don't get discouraged. Finish the workout, take a day or two off from the pool, then get after it the next time.

Thanks Reece this is awesome and really helps me setup some swims. Now I can target some repeats, find a "starting spot" and then work to increase number of repeats and/or decrease rest between repeats to start ramping up my swim fitness and will now have some sort targets in the workout which I can use to push myself as well as gauge what is/isn't helping. Much appreciated!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Challenges Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Challenges Pre Race

Started by nickster
Views: 727 Posts: 2

2017-07-16 12:42 AM triosaurus

Cedar Hill - Open Water Swim Challenge and Aquathlon

Started by sail
Views: 756 Posts: 3

2017-04-23 6:40 PM sail

Post Swim Nose Leakage...