of 3

2018-02-22 3:22 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Students walk out.........
How to stop school shootings....

I do not have a concealed carry permit and don’t believe it is necessary. By definition no one knows when I’m packin’. If I we’re a teacher I’d carry to protect the kids. Not real interested in charging a guy with a gun with a #2 pencil.

Attachments
----------------
649C67CD-46D9-4F94-87E2-70ABEA8AB121.jpeg (3262KB - 14 downloads)
54984196-B8E1-4219-BBD6-52342CB401D9.jpeg (2086KB - 10 downloads)

2018-02-22 5:42 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

I do not have a concealed carry permit and don’t believe it is necessary. By definition no one knows when I’m packin’. If I we’re a teacher I’d carry to protect the kids. Not real interested in charging a guy with a gun with a #2 pencil.

You need to trim your toenails...
2018-02-22 6:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Bronze member

This school is doing a good job of preparedness: 

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/inside-the-safest-school-in-america-1166029891710

Edited by trigal38 2018-02-22 6:17 PM
2018-02-22 6:30 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

Ouch
2018-02-22 7:17 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Oysterboy
Originally posted by dmiller5

if cops are in a building, and multiple people have guns, can you imagine a scenario where bullets are flying everywhere and more people get hurt?

I can imagine monkeys flying out of my arse....what i know for certain is people are going to die because we can't get there fast enough and nobody there can stop the shooting.
This is a situation with no good answers that is why it has not been solved yet. I'm not in favor of arming teachers as they have a tough enough job without having to jump into a combat situation (without body armor) should the need arise. I think what makes the most sense is to substantially increase the presence of professional security at schools, people that will provide a clear deterrent and technical skills necessary to meet situations that may arise. Also, limiting entrance/exit points into the school so that the security can be concentrated where it needs to be. The challenge will be how to pay for this security. I think part of the cost could be a state excise tax on guns and ammo, those states willing to impose this taxation will have tighter security - you get what you pay for. Think of it as a user tax.

Agree completely

Totally disagree with a tax on responsible law abiding gun owners. That would be a unfair penalty. Would be curious to know how many gun owners would support such a tax. My guess is not many. There is a tendency for people to make some pretty extreme recommendations when they are not impacted in the least by their implementation. If you own no guns 2A is probably not very meaningful/important to you. On the other hand most people would be enraged at the prospect of restrictions/censorship of internet content and the infringement of free speech. No one can deny that unfettered accessibility to ANYTHING imaginable has had negative impacts/consequences. Continued exposure to violence (or anything else) results in desensitization and the internet is ripe with it. Just to be clear I am not in favor of internet restrictions, just trying to juxtapose two differing perspectives.
2018-02-22 8:34 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by CBess

if cops are in a building, and multiple people have guns, can you imagine a scenario where bullets are flying everywhere and more people get hurt?

I can imagine monkeys flying out of my arse....what i know for certain is people are going to die because we can't get there fast enough and nobody there can stop the shooting.
This is a situation with no good answers that is why it has not been solved yet. I'm not in favor of arming teachers as they have a tough enough job without having to jump into a combat situation (without body armor) should the need arise. I think what makes the most sense is to substantially increase the presence of professional security at schools, people that will provide a clear deterrent and technical skills necessary to meet situations that may arise. Also, limiting entrance/exit points into the school so that the security can be concentrated where it needs to be. The challenge will be how to pay for this security. I think part of the cost could be a state excise tax on guns and ammo, those states willing to impose this taxation will have tighter security - you get what you pay for. Think of it as a user tax.

Agree completely

Totally disagree with a tax on responsible law abiding gun owners. That would be a unfair penalty. Would be curious to know how many gun owners would support such a tax. My guess is not many. There is a tendency for people to make some pretty extreme recommendations when they are not impacted in the least by their implementation. If you own no guns 2A is probably not very meaningful/important to you. On the other hand most people would be enraged at the prospect of restrictions/censorship of internet content and the infringement of free speech. No one can deny that unfettered accessibility to ANYTHING imaginable has had negative impacts/consequences. Continued exposure to violence (or anything else) results in desensitization and the internet is ripe with it. Just to be clear I am not in favor of internet restrictions, just trying to juxtapose two differing perspectives.

Ahh, I got guns and I support the 2nd amendment. We have security issues at our schools, someone needs to pay for that. I'd be absolutely cool with paying an extra $0.50 for a box of shells if the money was going to secure the safety of our local schools.

2018-02-22 8:36 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Pro
I likely own more guns than you and I have no problem paying more tax for the ones I'll buy in the future. Everything is taxed to pay for something. If guns need to be taxed to retrofit schools and pay for more security thats certainly a viable way to go about it. A free society isn't free....wait until you see what insurance costs a school district if this isn't dealt with. I don't agree with a lot of what's being thrown around in the wake of this latest shooting....but I certainly agree that enough is enough. How would you pay for it?
2018-02-23 7:22 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I likely own more guns than you and I have no problem paying more tax for the ones I'll buy in the future. Everything is taxed to pay for something. If guns need to be taxed to retrofit schools and pay for more security thats certainly a viable way to go about it. A free society isn't free....wait until you see what insurance costs a school district if this isn't dealt with. I don't agree with a lot of what's being thrown around in the wake of this latest shooting....but I certainly agree that enough is enough. How would you pay for it?

Same way we pay for everything else.....we just print more money! Go deeper into debt!

I don't know what the budget is for Homeland Defense but I think that is where the money should flow thru.

Americans are very generous....instead of a box to check to donate $1 to go to the presidential election how about a line where you write in a portion of your return go to 'save the chitlins' campaign? It could also be privately funded....put pressure on overpaid athletes and Hollywood elites and the Gate Foundation etc to contribute. Instead of wasting millions to hold a protest march, send that money to the "School Tax For Ungunning" (STFU).
2018-02-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by trigal38

This school is doing a good job of preparedness: 

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/inside-the-safest-school-in-america-1166029891710

Thanks for posting this. That was interesting. I'm not sure about the cost impact of having full time personnel manning a security system... but the up front costs of a "gas system" and enhanced monitoring is very viable. I ponder if society would accept something like that though...

My wife is a teacher. Much of what was shown is already done in schools in her board. There are lock down procedures, practised at least once a term. There's a less severe warning called "hold and secure" if something is going on in the vicinity of the school. But in a violent threat that enter the school they essentially close the doors to a classroom, turn the lights off, and herd the students into a corner of the room where they can't be seen through the door. No one talks...and the biggest problem...keeping students off there phones. Even the police warn that posting to social media, calling or texting can alert the threat to where you are....

2018-02-23 9:45 AM

New user

There is not a one-size-fits-all solution. Each school or school district needs to determine what is best for them. If they don't have any or enough teachers willing to carry then they need to hire security guards. Some teachers or janitors or cafeteria workers might be willing to carry but need training. Some schools might already have a guard but need to install more cameras or limit ingress/egress to the school.

Here's where my kids go/went to HS. Securing this campus will be a challenge.

They could start with a fence with gates at the three road entrances with security. When I went to school in the dark ages, they all had fences and limited access.

2018-02-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Originally posted by RogillioI have been racking my brain trying to understand why anyone would oppose arming some teachers and faculty. To me this is the FIRST and best thing we can do.
Rog, this is a quote from someone who I am sure is no lefty and quite educated in the matter (lifted from a piece on Politico):“We think that teachers should be in the school to teach kids and not have to worry about the responsibilities and the liabilities of carrying a gun and being expected to use it in that situation,” said Mac Hardy, director of operations for the National Association of School Resource Officers.
My wife is a teacher as well as a lot of her friends. I get to hang out with teachers a lot. The idea of arming them is so comical I can’t help but laugh out loud every time it is mentioned. I’d be hard pressed to find one of them I’d trust with a firearm. That may not be the case in every school but I’d wager it’s the case in a majority of schools.

2018-02-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Its the NRA's wet dream.  We have shootings so buy more guns!

2018-02-23 11:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by RogillioI have been racking my brain trying to understand why anyone would oppose arming some teachers and faculty. To me this is the FIRST and best thing we can do.
Rog, this is a quote from someone who I am sure is no lefty and quite educated in the matter (lifted from a piece on Politico):“We think that teachers should be in the school to teach kids and not have to worry about the responsibilities and the liabilities of carrying a gun and being expected to use it in that situation,” said Mac Hardy, director of operations for the National Association of School Resource Officers.
My wife is a teacher as well as a lot of her friends. I get to hang out with teachers a lot. The idea of arming them is so comical I can’t help but laugh out loud every time it is mentioned. I’d be hard pressed to find one of them I’d trust with a firearm. That may not be the case in every school but I’d wager it’s the case in a majority of schools.

Mine is too, though stopped full time gig years ago and only subs these days. I think we'd have better results arming administrators and concentrating less on the teachers. Most administrators are hard charging career oriented individuals; making weapons training part of the job would be assimilated by these people without much difficulty. Arming the teachers? We can't discount the 'momma bear' instinct of the teachers. Cornered in a classroom with her kids, I believe most of the teachers I know could be capable of at least emptying a full magazine downrange toward the threat, in order to protect their students. I believe 15 rounds of withering fire would probably make most of these nut jobs tuck tail and run. Downside of spray and pray defense is collateral damage.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-02-23 11:12 AM
2018-02-23 11:20 AM

User image

Pro

At my kids school, and I'm sure most, if not all, others there are plenty of coaches, and others, that are already being used as "security" just like in Florida.  I'm not a fan of arming anyone who doesn't want to be armed, so a security "force" is my first choice.....teachers after that.

There are lots of people who we can laugh about actually having or carrying a gun......but I can tell you this first hand, I stay intouch with most of the people who were in our council chamber when it was attacked.....quite a few of them still work for our city.....they all carry a gun  now.  You know why?  There is NOTHING funny about hiding and waiting to be shot.

2018-02-23 11:22 AM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by NXS

Here's where my kids go/went to HS. Securing this campus will be a challenge.

They could start with a fence with gates at the three road entrances with security. When I went to school in the dark ages, they all had fences and limited access.

There are gates and a guard shack. The weak link is all the open land around the school. All or at least most of it three strand barbed wire on cedar posts. A higher fence works, but then how high and how strong until it looks like we're in prison? Any facility can be secured, it's just going to take money and manpower. Some, like my example, will be harder to secure than others.
2018-02-23 11:31 AM

User image

Mine is too, though stopped full time gig years ago and only subs these days. I think we'd have better results arming administrators and concentrating less on the teachers. Most administrators are hard charging career oriented individuals; making weapons training part of the job would be assimilated by these people without much difficulty. Arming the teachers? We can't discount the 'momma bear' instinct of the teachers. Cornered in a classroom with her kids, I believe most of the teachers I know could be capable of at least emptying a full magazine downrange toward the threat, in order to protect their students. I believe 15 rounds of withering fire would probably make most of these nut jobs tuck tail and run. Downside of spray and pray defense is collateral damage.
After Sandy Hook my wife was in tears one day. She told me she would absolutely do what one of the teachers there did shielding a child with her body. She told me flat out she’d take a bullet for any of her kids. Fast forward to last night , “he’s f ing nuts if he thinks I should have a gun”

2018-02-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas

Its the NRA's wet dream.  We have shootings so buy more guns!

Glad to have you join and be part of a problem solving discussion. It's easier to point hysterically point fingers than solve problems, but not you Dave. Glad to see you're here to help.
2018-02-23 11:39 AM

User image

Pro

After Sandy Hook my wife was in tears one day. She told me she would absolutely do what one of the teachers there did shielding a child with her body. She told me flat out she’d take a bullet for any of her kids. Fast forward to last night , “he’s f ing nuts if he thinks I should have a gun”

I believe she would.......but he's not f'ing nuts thinking people should be able to protect themselves and others from an armed attack......be in one and then tell me that. 

And googles, remember......that woman in sandy hook was killed and so was the kid.  Brave woman, but she really had no other choice except to die.  That's craziness.

2018-02-23 11:54 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Do you think that coach that charged the shooting in the FL school wished he had a gun?

Maybe your wife is incapable or handling a gun but I assure you there are many who are. And not just teachers....janitors, cafeteria workers, maintenance men, guidance counselors, principles.....almost anyone can be trained how to effectively fire a gun. And if not a gun then a taser. Better to fire a taser at a shooter than to throw an eraser at him or threaten him with detention!

If we don't do this we will just be kicking the can down the road. Congress will pass some token laws like banning bump stocks and raising the age to buy guns to 21 and limit magazine size and the gun control people will pat themselves on the back and think they have made the world safer.....until the next shooting. The next shooter is probably already out there planning his shooting and already has his weapon(s). Even if congress banned the sale of ALL weapons there will be more shootings!! Even if the 2nd amendment was removed from the Constitution and the government confiscated all guns.....there would still be shootings! Someone who wants to kill students is not going be stopped by laws!

I just read that about 1/3 of the households in the US has at least one gun. So, statistically speaking, how many houses does one have to burglarize to obtain at least one gun? Doesn't really matter if it is 9mm or shotgun.....both kill. Not many people will charge a man shooting a shotgun with 00 buckshot?

I don't know if people are just willfully ignorant or what. If I take the plug out of a 12 ga automatic it will hold 5 shells. If I have an ammo bag with 100 shells of double-ought buckshot hanging from my neck I can shoot/load/shoot/load/shoot-shoot/load-load/shoot-load/shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot/load/shoot/load-load etc and kill dozens of people. You would never catch me with an empty chamber and so would never get a chance to 'rush me'. If you did, you'd die. I'd also have a 9mm in my left pocket and a 357 in my right.....probably another in my boot.

Focusing on the types of weapon that are used is simply naïve. Trying to keep the nutjob who wants to kill people from getting guns is equally naïve. If some one is willing to kill people, they will have no problem at all breaking into houses to obtain guns or stealing them from friend or family members.....or simply buy them on FB Market Place or CL or a garage sale!

2018-02-23 11:56 AM

User image

I’m certainly not saying this is the norm every where. Also I’m not opposed to the idea of better protection for students and teachers. I can say with almost a 100% certainty I know not one educator who would be capable , regardless of training , defending anyone with a fire arm. Unless protection meant slinging a bunch of lead in one direction regardless of having an effective chance of hitting something. I actually think having weapons on school grounds is more of a risk to students getting their hands on them an accidentally hurting themselves.
2018-02-23 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

To the highlighted point, I heard someone on the radio on my ride in comment that most mass shooters either commit suicide or suicide by cop. So the idea of them being scared off by return fire may not apply here. I'm not so sure that "spray and pray" is a sound mechanism for school security

Lefty: If I was in that chamber during the event you speak of I am dead certain I would be carrying a firearm with me now.

2018-02-23 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I’m certainly not saying this is the norm every where. Also I’m not opposed to the idea of better protection for students and teachers. I can say with almost a 100% certainty I know not one educator who would be capable , regardless of training , defending anyone with a fire arm. Unless protection meant slinging a bunch of lead in one direction regardless of having an effective chance of hitting something. I actually think having weapons on school grounds is more of a risk to students getting their hands on them an accidentally hurting themselves.

This describes 90% of the trap shooters at my club
2018-02-23 12:03 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

She doesn't have to hit anything. First off, just knowing that some teachers are armed will deter some of the nutjobs from even attempting a school shooting. Second, these guys are not looking to be an a firefight. They are not going to rush towards gun fire....they would likely run the other way.
2018-02-23 12:04 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

To the highlighted point, I heard someone on the radio on my ride in comment that most mass shooters either commit suicide or suicide by cop. So the idea of them being scared off by return fire may not apply here. I'm not so sure that "spray and pray" is a sound mechanism for school security Lefty: If I was in that chamber during the event you speak of I am dead certain I would be carrying a firearm with me now.

Yeah, I still see quite a few of the folks who were there that night.....they carry a gun.  I interviewed every single one of them in the hours and days after that shooting......"I was helpless" was the comment I heard most.....that and, "thank God you guys got there so fast".....it wasn't nearly fast enough for 5 people (and one who died 3 months later from his wounds). 

I wish the world wasn't this way, and understand completely the idea that we don't need more guns when something like this happens.....but that's just pizzing in the wind.  This IS the world we live in, and half a billion guns aren't going away.

2018-02-23 12:08 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas

Ouch

Who loves ya baby?

That quote really dates me, eh?
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Students walk out......... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Two Jews walk into a bar...

Started by Rogillio
Views: 617 Posts: 3

2018-01-15 10:57 AM Rogillio