General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Marathoner Turning Triathlete! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-22 11:53 AM

Subject: Marathoner Turning Triathlete!
Hi, I’ve been running about two marathons a year for the past 3 years. Got a bad case of hip tendonitis which had me sidelined for the later half of 2017. After many months of PT, ART, graston, and strength training, I needed a new goal for a fresh start.

I registered for HIM Syracuse on June 17, 2018. Really excited and training going well so far. Easing back into things slowly. Depending on how training goes I’m considering adding HIM Steelhead on August 12, 2018 and then rounding out the season with the NYC Marathon Nov. 3, 2018. After that going into hibernation mode for a month! Big goals but got insurance for Steelhead and NYC Marathon just in case.

Any input or well wishes are welcome!!

AJ

2018-02-22 12:38 PM
in reply to: runningroutine

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Marathoner Turning Triathlete!
Syracuse is an awesome race! Welcome to the sport, and to the site.
2018-02-22 12:54 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Thank you!!
2018-02-24 4:07 PM
in reply to: runningroutine

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by runningroutine

Hi, I’ve been running about two marathons a year for the past 3 years. Got a bad case of hip tendonitis which had me sidelined for the later half of 2017. After many months of PT, ART, graston, and strength training, I needed a new goal for a fresh start.

I registered for HIM Syracuse on June 17, 2018. Really excited and training going well so far. Easing back into things slowly. Depending on how training goes I’m considering adding HIM Steelhead on August 12, 2018 and then rounding out the season with the NYC Marathon Nov. 3, 2018. After that going into hibernation mode for a month! Big goals but got insurance for Steelhead and NYC Marathon just in case.

Any input or well wishes are welcome!!

AJ

Best of luck with your shift into triathlon. I made the same shift several years ago myself, moving from being a long distance runner to learning to swim and bike. There is a lot to learn and lots of adaptation that will have to happen with your body, but as a marathoner you already know how to suffer, so you're halfway there.

I actually shifted over to Tri's because I was getting injured ALL THE TIME. I would send in a race entry and then 6 weeks before the event something would blow up on my body and I would be forced to cancel. The bottom line for me, all the running was just too much stress on my legs...shifting to triathlon not only improved my fitness but gave my knees and legs much needed breaks through cycling and swimming.

There is a pretty good book called Run Less run Faster. It was written by a couple of exercise physiologists at Furman University who were very run focused but got into triathlon. Since they were running less (due to swapping out runs for bike or swim workouts) they were worried that their running times would suffer. In fact, they got FASTER with less running.

It's a pretty cool book. I used it to run a PR in the Chicago marathon several years ago. I've now got 39 triathlons under my belt and have no plans to go back to being only a runner.

The link is here:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/runners-world-run-less-run-faster-b...

Enjoy the journey. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Marathoner Turning Triathlete! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hoosier Triathlete

Started by hbourne
Views: 527 Posts: 3

2018-01-24 10:35 AM k9car363

Couch potato/Nurse to triathlete in the working!

Started by gennarkis
Views: 767 Posts: 2

2017-07-16 4:11 PM triosaurus

So I decided to be a triathlete...

Started by gigolfer
Views: 787 Posts: 4

2017-06-23 1:56 AM saralguinn

From obese to triathlete

Started by Diablosi05
Views: 2194 Posts: 5

2017-09-05 2:14 PM jhaack39

First time triathlete. NB canada