Other Resources The Political Joe » Corporate Influence Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-28 8:04 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Corporate Influence
I've been reading about companies cutting ties with the NRA....presumably because as an NRA member I am evil and do not deserve a discount.

Delta stopped a discount program with the NRA. To which I say, "who cares?!" I have never used my NRA card for discounts on anything! That is not why I joined NRA and not why I continue to be a member. I doubt you will find anyone who joined the NRA to get discounts at Delta or FedEx or anywhere else. Nor is anyone going to cancel their membership with the NRA because Delta no longer gives a token discount to NRA member. Hail, I never even knew about these various discounts.

I think corporations do themselves a disservice trying to influence social issues in the country. A couple of years ago Target announce they would make their bathrooms open to the opposite sex if they person 'identified' as the opposite sex. The last thing a mom wants to hear her 8 yo say after using the bathroom at Target is, "Mama, there was a man in the ladies room." This decision totally blew up in their face and cost them millions in revenue.

CVS decided a few years ago to no longer sell cigarettes because they were unhealthy....yet they still sell Snicker's bars, Coke, beer, ice cream, etc. It was a marketing ploy and I guess we will never really know if this made more people shop at CVS or fewer people shop there or what effect the lost revenue from cigarette sales cost them. Did anyone quit smoking because CVS no longer sells cigarettes? No.

I guess I have an issue with the whole 'guilt by association' thing. If the triple k gives money to a political candidate does that mean the candidate supports them? No, it means the campaign needs money! If the DNC takes money from that Hollywood producer and then later finds out he is creepy sexual harasser should they give the money back? No! If Farrakhan endorses a candidate does that mean the candidate supports Farrakhan? No.

I guess fundamentally I think business ought to steer clear of social issues and just focus on providing the best goods and services they can. Starbucks is forever trying to outguess the public....problem is, they are a Seattle based company and what plays well in Seattle does not play so well in Nashville.

2018-02-28 10:45 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: RE: Corporate Influence
Its becoming more pronounced...from "Corporate Welfare" or Corporate Caring" to outright Virtue Signalling.

My thoughts...Delta would not make that decision if they were making significant sales through the NRA. They are riding a wave for support by using the NRA as a stepping stone. Some marketing exec made his bonus this year. If sales were nil or small from the NRA, why not cancel the agreement and publicize it hoping on the "other" side to use their product instead.

I have a few professional memberships and can't say I've ever used the group rates for anything...mainly cause when I checked they wern't cheaper than what I could find on line myself.

Corporations everywhere are doing this, and doing this more....

Here's a great sign of virtue signalling from Shoppers Drug Mart just this week in Ontario:
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/shoppers-drug-mart-yanks-gun-...

So now people like me have decided no longer to shop at Shoppers because they've decided to make a corporate stance on an issue that has nothing to do with their products... Will it pay off with them? Time will tell.

There must be something to Corporations doing this. If it didnt effect the bottom line they wouldn't bother with it. Shareholders get pissy if you start playing moral compass on trivial issues at the expense of profit. But if it favours profit..I have a hard time arguing that action...

2018-02-28 12:27 PM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Pro
Tejas
United supposedly did this too. Not a peep about it on the company website tho.
2018-02-28 12:42 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
I just sent National Rental car an email to their customer support folks.

"I just read that National is cutting tied to the NRA. Just wanted to let you know I will be cutting ties to National."

I had to sat "will be" because I have a car reserved week with them and don't want to lose it. :-) Hey, it's a luxury car I booked for less than the price of a compact! Seriously....really weird. IDK if it's because I am an Emerald Club member or what. I've not use them in years and have no points with them any more. Maybe they are trying to wooo me back? If so they sure stepped on their dk with the NRA thing....

Attachments
----------------
Rental car.pptx (211KB - 1 downloads)
2018-02-28 2:16 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Yeah, none of these corporations cut ties because of any real beliefs. It's all about pandering and social image. Disgusts me.

2018-02-28 7:37 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Expert
Floriduh
It's all about the Benjamins. You think otherwise?

2018-02-28 9:29 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

I'm no longer drinking IPA's unti...........wait......nevermind.

2018-03-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
And it looks like I just stopped shopping at MEC also...sigh.

http://torontosun.com/business/mec-to-stop-selling-vista-outdoor-pr...

If the "embargo" against Vista made sense..I could support it. But by just catering to some faceless social justice warriors....I can't support a company like MEC. Already contacted them and advised them of my choice.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Corporate Influence Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Corporate america and the 1st amendment

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 1007 Posts: 11

2017-07-11 8:17 AM Rogillio