General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two Speed Fixie Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-28 1:55 PM

Subject: Two Speed Fixie
Hey Everyone!

I am planning on participating in the Chicago Olympic Triathlon this year as a first timer. Currently, I own a two-speed fixed gear bike. I'm wondering if it'll be possible (at least for the first couple of races, when I'll see if I will want to go on with the sport) to use this kind of bike for sprint/Olympic sessions.

Do you think this is crazy?
Is there a chance for me to be effective on such a setup?

If not, does anyone know of anyone selling a used Tri bike? I am a 5”3” 113-pound female.

Please let me know. Thanks!

2018-02-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: rachamone

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Two Speed Fixie

I'm not 100% on the regulations, whether a true fixie is considered to be equivalent to a rear brake, but you would need brakes front and rear to be legal. As for being effective in the race... Depends on your gearing. If the race is flat, sure, why not. If there are hills, well, you'd be compromising either on the flats or the hills. Stopping to swap the chain between gears would be a detriment.

2018-02-28 2:21 PM
in reply to: 0

I'm not sure I'm following ya. Then again, I know only enough about bikes to be dangerous. Or...undangerous, as the case may be.
I don't know how fixies would work with mechanical breaks which you'd both need and want.

If you've got breaks and 2 speeds and you can coast (without the pedals moving)....it's not really a fixie? I know there's some fancy schmancy track bikes that have some funky hubs that make them not truly fixed.

But, if you can coast and have breaks, it's not crazy. "Effectiveness" will be more impacted by you than the machine. Efficient? Fast? Not as much as other options. Who cares.

Barring rules (you'd want to check on that) that might not allow a bike without mechanical breaks and it's truly a fixie....sure...as they say...Anthing is Possible.

But, whew. I'd rather be on a beatup mountain bike with big gnarly tires in a crowded race. Beg, borrow....steal. Well, maybe not the last one. Rent? No need to rent an expensive tri-bike. A hybrid or generic 'fitness' bike will get you there.

Edited by jhaack39 2018-02-28 2:22 PM
2018-03-01 1:16 AM
in reply to: #5238985

I too own a fixie with flip flop hub. I switched to single speed for training for my 1st one in April . I average 14-17mph some mild hilly terrain. I think it’s doable. However I do notice road bikers easily cruising at 17+ while I’m working it. You can also consider renting a road bike from the Bike shop to try it out and for race day. I considered this too but ended up finding a road bike on Craigslist for a good deal so I’m going to see how that impacts my training.
2018-03-01 7:14 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Okay, so the way I understand "two speed fixie" is this: You have two chainrings, and two fixed cogs, and they're sized such that the same length chain works in the two combinations (inner/inner, outer/outer). The other possibility is a flip-flop hub with a small difference in size, such that the horizontal dropouts will take up the difference when placing the rear wheel. In any case, again, check the regulations regarding rear brakes and whether the fixed rear cog will qualify for such. You'll need a front brake regardless.

2018-03-01 11:16 AM

Originally posted by briderdt

In any case, again, check the regulations regarding rear brakes and whether the fixed rear cog will qualify for such. You'll need a front brake regardless.

I suppose these would work and I gather they exist. Front breaks on a fixed drivetrain.
I don't think I could handle that. Eye-hand coordination is one thing. But eye-hand-leg/foot coordination is probably too much for me to handle.

Maybe it's partially because I haven't ridden a fixie in 40 years. But, I suppose....as they say....pun intended.....it's like riding a bike.

2018-03-02 1:29 PM

Thanks! I checked the competitive rules and it looks like fixed gear bikes are not permitted The rule is very specific about the fly wheel being able to move freely.

(j) There must be one working brake on each of the two wheels.
(k) There must be a free-wheeling mechanism between the crank and the rear wheel that allows the bicycle to roll forward while the pedals remain stationary.
(l) All aspects of the bicycle must be safe to the user and to other participants in the event. Minimum safety standards include, but are not limited to, properly glued and sealed tires, tight headset and handlebars, and true wheels.

I am looking into switching out my back wheel with a “coasting” hub and putting a second brake on my bike. That way I can switch as needed and be able to still race on my bike.
2018-03-02 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Many flip-flop hubs will do a fixed cog on one side and a single-speed freewheel on the other. Worth checking. SS freewheels are fairly inexpensive.

2018-03-02 10:39 PM

User image

Ventura, California

I purchased a 1988 Peugeot Triathlon road bike in Sept. 2015, 2 weeks before my very first Olympic. I paid $150 for it and it was all original, including the tires. I put about 20 miles on it before the race to get the basic fit sorted and away I went without a hitch.

2.5 years later, about $1,000, and approx. 3,000 miles later, I still race that bike today. I will admit only the original forks and frame remain. It has been in many races including a couple Ironman 70.3's, thousands of miles of training rides, 10's of thousands of feet of elevation climbing, speeds of 50+ mph  and I still cannot find a compelling reason to justify spending thousands of dollars on a new bike. Next upgrade will be a set of aero bars, coming soon.

Moral of the story, you can find a good bike used very inexpensively and it will power you through many many miles of training and races.

One of those make you smile moments was at Ironman Superfrog 70.3 when some guy with a $8K bike complimented my 'Vintage' racer and gave me props for keeping it old school.   

2018-03-04 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
According to the USAT rules, you need two brakes. As far as I know this does not include the fixed rear.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two Speed Fixie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

one or two recovery days

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 786 Posts: 13

2017-11-21 10:34 AM BikerGrrrl

Speeding up recovery?

Started by PhilaGaryl
Views: 968 Posts: 10

2017-08-15 2:12 PM PhilaGaryl

Need advice deciding between two bikes.