Other Resources The Political Joe » California DFL Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-01 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: California DFL
"California ranks dead last among U.S. states in quality of life, according to a study by U.S. News."

Wait, I thought California was the proverbial land of milk and honey....or maybe the land of fruits and nuts?

Apparently their liberal laws serve as a magnet for illegal aliens, homeless and people who live off the gubment.

Here is the listings:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

My state, Alabama did not do very well but the part of the state I live in is an anomaly. From a different source:

"One Alabama city beat out stiff competition for the title of fastest-growing tech town in 2017. ZipRecruiter and Payscale have named Huntsville the top tech city in the U.S. Huntsville's year-over-year tech job growth was 309 percent, according to the ranking. The report found early career median pay starts at $59,500, while mid-career median pay jumps to $96,400. ZipRecruiter, a job search website, and Payscale, an online salary, benefits and compensation information company, said median Huntsville rent is $950, while the median home price is about $152,000."

2018-03-01 8:46 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: California DFL

Originally posted by Rogillio "California ranks dead last among U.S. states in quality of life, according to a study by U.S. News." Wait, I thought California was the proverbial land of milk and honey....or maybe the land of fruits and nuts? Apparently their liberal laws serve as a magnet for illegal aliens, homeless and people who live off the gubment. Here is the listings: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankingsMy state, Alabama did not do very well but the part of the state I live in is an anomaly. From a different source: "One Alabama city beat out stiff competition for the title of fastest-growing tech town in 2017. ZipRecruiter and Payscale have named Huntsville the top tech city in the U.S. Huntsville's year-over-year tech job growth was 309 percent, according to the ranking. The report found early career median pay starts at $59,500, while mid-career median pay jumps to $96,400. ZipRecruiter, a job search website, and Payscale, an online salary, benefits and compensation information company, said median Huntsville rent is $950, while the median home price is about $152,000."

That is an odd stat you pulled out of a chart that ranked California the #32 best  state to live in and and Alabama #46. Especially considering that chart also has California ranking better than Bama in Health Care, Education, Economy, Opportunity, and Crime & Corrections. Who knew that illegal aliens, homeless, and people who live off the gubment would have better education and less crime than Alabamians. 

Or if you're looking to make a liberal/conservative comparison, the ten overall worst states to live are Kentucky, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Alaska, Arkansas, Alabama, West Virginia, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Louisiana coming in DFL. 

2018-03-01 9:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Rogillio "California ranks dead last among U.S. states in quality of life, according to a study by U.S. News." Wait, I thought California was the proverbial land of milk and honey....or maybe the land of fruits and nuts? Apparently their liberal laws serve as a magnet for illegal aliens, homeless and people who live off the gubment. Here is the listings: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankingsMy state, Alabama did not do very well but the part of the state I live in is an anomaly. From a different source: "One Alabama city beat out stiff competition for the title of fastest-growing tech town in 2017. ZipRecruiter and Payscale have named Huntsville the top tech city in the U.S. Huntsville's year-over-year tech job growth was 309 percent, according to the ranking. The report found early career median pay starts at $59,500, while mid-career median pay jumps to $96,400. ZipRecruiter, a job search website, and Payscale, an online salary, benefits and compensation information company, said median Huntsville rent is $950, while the median home price is about $152,000."

That is an odd stat you pulled out of a chart that ranked California the #32 best  state to live in and and Alabama #46. Especially considering that chart also has California ranking better than Bama in Health Care, Education, Economy, Opportunity, and Crime & Corrections. Who knew that illegal aliens, homeless, and people who live off the gubment would have better education and less crime than Alabamians. 

Or if you're looking to make a liberal/conservative comparison, the ten overall worst states to live are Kentucky, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Alaska, Arkansas, Alabama, West Virginia, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Louisiana coming in DFL. 

Yeah, I'd say overall that "quality of life" is a pretty much trumps the other categories. "Oh, California's economy is strong....sucks to live there but the economy is strong!"

And Alabama is a terrible place to live....especially Huntsville. Please spread the word so people do not move here! Awful.....just awful.

These things are just opinions and vary depending on your situation. If you live in a gated community in Malibu you'd likely feel different than if you lived in East LA or in Crenshaw. Same goes for Alabama - if you live in the ghettos of BHM you'd feel much different than it you lived in Madison (where I live). So take the rankings with a grain of salt because if doesn't matter what the "average" is.....it matters only what your personal situation is in the area you are in.

ETA

"Best place to live" is actually very subjective. If a state is ranked #1 in education but your kids are already out of college that is not a big factor and I'd give that very little 'weight'. If I am retired I would not put too much weight on 'opportunity'. If crime is high it is probably because of the inner cities and not applicable to the entire state. Anyway, I just thought it was a fun way to slam California. I don't like CA....as states go. My brother lived there for years and I occasional went there for work and spent hours on the 405 stuck in traffic cussing the place. OTOH, I loved hiking in the Muir Forest and love the giant redwoods.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-03-01 9:57 AM
2018-03-01 11:26 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Kind of sketchy results IMO. Texas is #8 in economy, yet #47 in opportunity? 46 in quality of life? Looks like some skewed data to me. They're not figuring in cost of living with their quality of life numbers. Not buying the Cali numbers either.
2018-03-01 11:41 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by mdg2003 Kind of sketchy results IMO. Texas is #8 in economy, yet #47 in opportunity? 46 in quality of life? Looks like some skewed data to me. They're not figuring in cost of living with their quality of life numbers. Not buying the Cali numbers either.

I don't think it's skewed data as much as it's just crappy categories. According to this report, quality of life is a combination of pollution/water quality, community engagement, and voter turnout. Opportunity is income inequality, racial/gender pay gaps, cost of living, and housing affordability.

For the way this report was created, I'd take a state rated high in economy, education, and fiscal stability over one rated higher in quality of life and opportunity any day. 

2018-03-01 11:45 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by mdg2003

Kind of sketchy results IMO. Texas is #8 in economy, yet #47 in opportunity? 46 in quality of life? Looks like some skewed data to me. They're not figuring in cost of living with their quality of life numbers. Not buying the Cali numbers either.

Cities like Houston and LA tend to skew the results for the entire state.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » California DFL Rss Feed