View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Colonial Beach, Virginia
United States
Total Time = 2h 52m 39s
Overall Rank = 134/145
Age Group = 17
Age Group Rank = 17/19
Event warmup:

NOTE: race from early July. I figured I would update a couple of my incomplete discouraging race reports. I am better now and have fixed my swim problems. IMCDA 2007 here I come!!!

This report is titled: Swim Distaster Part II - Boy Almost Defeated.

Here are my comments from my blog from the day - no other information will be added. I am just getting my races up to date.

Race Day:

My future in this sport is very much in doubt. The swim was a total disaster (and the bike wasn't too much better). It got so bad on the swim that I called the boat to take me in. However, when they arrived I decided that I needed to finish what I started. I need a couple of days to reflect and figure out where I go from here. I will get up a race report at some point (I think)..............

Day After:

Ok - I am going to get right back on that horse. The thing with the swim is I know it is all mental. For some reason I totally panic. Yesterday I started hyperventilating within the first 200 meters and I had to flip over just to breath. My HR was racing the entire swim and I never was able to freestyle as I simply needed to breath. My HR was still soring on the bike, so as a result I took it very easy for most of the ride. I didn't decide to 'cycle' until like mile 18 or 19. The rest of the ride might as well have been a Sunday stroll. The good news is when you are last out of the water there is nobody left to pass you. As usual, I passed a ton of people on the run.

I need to remember a quote I was telling one of my friends who is just getting into running: "Most people over-estimate what they can accomplish in 12 weeks, and under-estimate what they can accomplish in 12 months"...........The truth is I've only been swimming and biking for 12 weeks. Both will come in time. I know my first 12 weeks of running were tough too.

I've never had a mental block like this before so I am unsure how to handle it. All I want from the swim is to find a comfortable pace in an open water race that I can keep for 1000 meters and ultimately for 2.4 miles (under 2 hours) without any panic. The thing is when I go to the Bay for open water training swims, everything is fine. This only occurs in races. It's all in my head. I need to work on relaxation techniques before the swim start.

I've come up with what I think is a pretty good plan. I am going to do the Sprint in Hampton at the end of the month. The swim is only 750 meters, so I should be able to make it around for that. If I panic again at Hampton, I will take some time off from Tri's. I will turn my efforts 100% to running in order to BQ (with at least 1-2 swims per week as cross training). Yes, that will mean that IMCDA 2007 is out the window. I have 2 concrete long-term athletic goals for myself - one is to complete an IronMan, and the other is to Boston Qualify. I will do both in my lifetime, preferably before I turn 40. I thought I was going to go after the IronMan before Boston, but that might change. I figure if I spend the next 1-2 years going after Boston while spending time in the pool, I will eventually get over this mental hurdle in the water.

Ok - I'm back. Run and swim tonight.

Swim
  • 38m 34s
  • 1100 yards
  • 03m 31s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 04m 10s
Bike
  • 1h 19m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Run
  • 47m 37s
  • 6 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2006-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:34 | 1100 yards | 03m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/19
Overall: 0/145
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:44 | 24.85 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/19
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:37 | 06 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/19
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-14 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Colonial Beach Triathlon

2006-09-15 7:49 AM
in reply to: #542007

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Colonial Beach Triathlon

The good news is when you are last out of the water there is nobody left to pass you.

And it's much easier to find your bike in T1, I know from experience.  I will never forget the look on your face when you got out of the water and saw me - it was, "Oh.  My.  God.  She DID lap me on the swim."  and yelling at you, "No, No, I got a boat ride back!!!!" 

You've really kicked it since that race - good job. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colonial Beach Triathlon Rss Feed