General Discussion Triathlon Talk » * LADIES.....Womens Race Gear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-02 1:32 PM

User image

Subject: * LADIES.....Womens Race Gear
Hi everyone!!

I'm a Hoosier training for her first sprint triathlon, which is in 8 weeks. I need advice on what to wear for the race. I live in Indiana so the weather could be really nice or really crappy ( it's very temperamental). I was looking at getting a one piece but I want to know which brands everyone would recommend. I hoping to get one soon so I can try to break it in before the race. I have a very athletic body and with that comes HUGE thighs, so do any ladies have a recommendation on a one piece that won't cut my thighs in half? I know I could go up in size but I don't have a very big upper body. I'm also not opposed to a tri top and bottoms either. Just needs some recommendations!!

- Reid

2018-03-04 1:15 PM
in reply to: remilam

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: * LADIES.....Womens Race Gear

I would recommend two pieces - tri shorts and top. I have a tri suit but I gravitate to the two piece outfits the majority of the time. The suit feels like it's riding up on me when I'm running. I've worn the tri suit maybe 2 times when I've had a pool swim and didn't want to feel like my bottoms were pulling down when I pushed off the wall. I've since bought tri shorts with a drawstring so I can tighten them and not worry about that issue anymore. 

Brands - I do not have much in the way of thighs but for durability and comfort I have had success with Zoot and Pearl Izumi. With your concern of the shorts cutting your leg in half you might want to try a longer length in the shorts. 

Good luck and have fun!

2018-03-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Thank you! My only concern with top and bottom is the possibility of the bottoms riding down and the top riding up. Is that an issue you have? I've found the pants that I can get to stay up have an extreme high waist and I've been unsuccessful with finding high rise tri bottoms.
2018-03-04 11:43 PM

Hello!

I'm also a Hoosier triathlete, so I can definitely sympathize about the weather here. I have a tri top and bottoms, and while I haven't tested the top much, I know that whenever I wear the tri shorts they don't go anywhere. They are completely form fitting, and once they come on they generally don't move much until I take them off. I normally wear mine over top of my one piece swimsuit, and I haven't raced in them yet, only trained. My shorts are Pearl Izumi. They are definitely very, very tight around the legs, but it doesn't really bother me much.
2018-03-05 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You might try Danskin tri suits or shorts and tops if you can find them. REI usually carries them; not sure about elsewhere but you can probably find them online. Not as expensive as some of the specialized tri brands, but they seem to hold up well for shorter distances, and come in a big range of sizes and some nice patterns. I have seen women with pretty big thighs running in them for sprint and Olympic distances, and they looked comfortable. My guess is you would be happier with a two-piece outfit if you will need a bigger size for the shorts.

If the weather is cold, you can always pull on an extra layer for the bike and/or run over your tri suit or top in T1. I like to wear a surf shirt (rash guard) if temps are just a bit too cold for a sleeveless top (not above 60), a tech or Merino wool long-sleeve shirt for temps that are a bit colder (not above 50), or, if truly cold and miserable (two races in the Pacific Northwest with bike legs in the 40's and windy) a windproof pull-on bike jersey. These tend to go on okay if not skin-tight and if you roll up the sleeves in advance. A top with a partial front zip is best--you can pull down the zipper and push up the sleeves if/when you start to warm up.

Others are welcome to laugh at my temperature standards for "cold". I am scrawny, live most of the year in the tropics, and hate being cold! Also grew up in the Midwest (Ohio) so I know all about the weather of which you speak!
2018-03-05 2:53 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by remilam Thank you! My only concern with top and bottom is the possibility of the bottoms riding down and the top riding up. Is that an issue you have? I've found the pants that I can get to stay up have an extreme high waist and I've been unsuccessful with finding high rise tri bottoms.

Buying shorts with a drawstring helps that issue. I just tuck my tank into my shorts for the swim and tie the drawstring. 

2018-03-05 10:57 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, I have that issue with two piece suits. It seems to be more of a problem for long-waisted women, even thin ones. Getting a tri top that fits snugly but runs long (again, Danskin tends to do that--I have two that fit well) can help solve it, but if you have a small waist relative to your chest size, you might still find that the top will either flap around on the swim (if the chest fits, the torso is too loose), or it will be too tight in the chest or too short, if the torso is snug enough for the swim. I have a small frame, a US size 2 or, at most 4, but am apparently curvier than the suit makers think I should be--most tri tops (Zoot, Pearl Izumi, 2XU, Sugoi) do not fit properly. They appear to have been designed for pre-teen girls with no curves, not smaller adult women. Have had better luck with Danskin, and one piece suits.

The riding up/falling down issues are one reason I prefer a one-piece suit. But that could be difficult if you need different sizes on top and on the bottom. If you can find something that fits and is comfortable top and bottom for all three events, I think it's the way to go. But that can be hard to find!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » * LADIES.....Womens Race Gear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deleting races from my races

Started by trinunya
Views: 610 Posts: 3

2018-01-08 2:16 PM trinunya

duathlon gear

Started by b2run
Views: 586 Posts: 1

2017-09-25 11:20 AM b2run

Ladies --> Pregnancy and training