General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Watch Question for Ladies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-07 10:21 PM

Subject: Newbie - Watch Question for Ladies
Hello! First time to post!

I decided to to do my first Tri this summer (and actually have already signed up for 2!) and have been working out already this winter with 2 swims/2 runs/2 rides each week. I currently do not have a fitness watch. Looking to jump into the world of tracking my workouts - and love the idea of the Garmin 920XT but I'm worried its too big for my wrist. Any ladies out there rocking this watch? I'm also not sure as a newbie if I really need all that data....is there something more simple I should be considering?

I looked all over the forums and saw lots of posts on watches/ Garmin, etc...but any advise for a complete female newbie on watches??

Thanks in advance!

2018-03-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: jpetrehn

User image

Subject: RE: Newbie - Watch Question for Ladies
Hi fellow newbie!

I'm currently training for my first tri this summer as well! I have a Garmin 230 and it does about everything I could want it to. It has a great GPS and tracks all my runs and bike rides. Since I'm so new at this I didn't think I would need something high tech and I was right. I also don't think it's too big for my wrist. There is a more high tech version ( Garmin 235) that I believe has a few more features than mine but overall I love mine. I would definitely research it and see if it's something you might like as well!!
2018-03-09 8:35 PM
in reply to: remilam

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
If money is no object, the Fenix 5S is made for thinner wrists and has all the fancy triathlon stuff. But it's $550. Up to $800 if you want the WiFi and the special crystal and the fancy dress watchband.
2018-03-10 7:12 AM
in reply to: jpetrehn

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by jpetrehn Hello! First time to post! I decided to to do my first Tri this summer (and actually have already signed up for 2!) and have been working out already this winter with 2 swims/2 runs/2 rides each week. I currently do not have a fitness watch. Looking to jump into the world of tracking my workouts - and love the idea of the Garmin 920XT but I'm worried its too big for my wrist. Any ladies out there rocking this watch? I'm also not sure as a newbie if I really need all that data....is there something more simple I should be considering? I looked all over the forums and saw lots of posts on watches/ Garmin, etc...but any advise for a complete female newbie on watches?? Thanks in advance!

I have a 920xt and really small wrists. The size of it does not bother me at all. I was using a bigger older garmin before this though so I got used to bigger. The face of it is as long as the width of my entire wrist but my eyes are not as good as they used to be and to me that makes the data easier to read. I can try to take a photo of it on my wrist if you want. 

I like all the features. I always wanted to be able to wear my old watch in open water and fussed around putting it in a baggie then trying to keep it in my swim cap. The 910 XT can be worn in open water or in the pool. I like that it syncs with my cell phone. No doubt it has a lot more features than I utilize but I've spent a lot of years making due with less and buying second hand so I feel like I have all I need with this watch. 

2018-03-10 8:38 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member

I couldn't get any photos in the forum post but I put some in my blog if you want to look how it fits on a ladies wrist. 

2018-03-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: remilam

Thanks for your response! I'm still researching and will look at this option! I don't think I need all the high tech data, but I do think I want something for my swims as that's my weakest area.

2018-03-11 8:46 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Originally posted by alicefoeller

If money is no object, the Fenix 5S is made for thinner wrists and has all the fancy triathlon stuff. But it's $550. Up to $800 if you want the WiFi and the special crystal and the fancy dress watchband.

I would LOVE the Fenix...but ouch...its pricey!
2018-03-11 8:49 PM
in reply to: trigal38

I have a 920xt and really small wrists. The size of it does not bother me at all. I was using a bigger older garmin before this though so I got used to bigger. The face of it is as long as the width of my entire wrist but my eyes are not as good as they used to be and to me that makes the data easier to read. I can try to take a photo of it on my wrist if you want. 

I like all the features. I always wanted to be able to wear my old watch in open water and fussed around putting it in a baggie then trying to keep it in my swim cap. The 910 XT can be worn in open water or in the pool. I like that it syncs with my cell phone. No doubt it has a lot more features than I utilize but I've spent a lot of years making due with less and buying second hand so I feel like I have all I need with this watch. 

Thanks for trying to post the photos - so happy for your response about the 920XT - this is probably the watch that has everything I want it to do at a price I can still afford. I also have tiny wrists and its hard to find a store that has one out that you can 'try on'
2018-03-12 10:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Here's a review of it, with pictures from his petite wife wearing it:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/11/garmin-forerunner-920xt-depth-review.html

Edited by jmhpsu93 2018-03-12 10:54 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie - Watch Question for Ladies Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie bike training question.

Started by Parkland
Views: 849 Posts: 10

2018-01-30 7:17 AM Experior

Need Help Choosing A Garmin Watch...Or Any Watch for Run/Bike/OWSwim

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1033 Posts: 11

2017-12-01 8:20 AM TheCrownsOwn

Ladies --> Pregnancy and training

Started by ski_babie
Views: 589 Posts: 1

2017-09-12 10:09 AM ski_babie

Tri watch VS. running watch+bike computer.

Started by DaniD
Views: 1355 Posts: 3

2017-04-05 9:41 AM LundyLund

So Ladies...lets talk hair

Started by 3mar
Views: 1446 Posts: 9

2017-03-18 9:13 AM streem26