General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is too much talc for T1 possible Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-08 11:13 PM

Subject: is too much talc for T1 possible
I've done 4 triathlons and #5 is Saturday. I still go with socks on the bike just bc running in my cycling shoes is better than trying to get my feet into the shoes already clipped in (the rubber bands to suspend the shoes just so seems to precarious). My biggest T1 problem has been that it takes forever to get my feet dry. Experimenting in my bathroom has convinced me that talc (baby powder) really can help.

First I step on a towel for 1-2 seconds, then I step on a thin bed of talc and shoot some talc over the top of my feet. Of course I have talc in the my prepped socks. Sitting down I then pull on my socks. Seems to work quite well. The talc is cheap.

I'm just worried than in the heat of the real T1, this over-reliance on talc could somehow back-fire?

Other experiences?
TIA, Allan

2018-03-09 12:44 AM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: is too much talc for T1 possible
I use it a lot for all my races. No problem unless you manage to spray it into your breathing passages (or someone else's) during transition. Be mindful as inhaling it can trigger asthma in some people. Ditto for spray-on sunscreen, bug repellant, etc.
2018-03-09 3:17 PM
in reply to: lombardi3g

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
I never use socks for Olympic and sprint distance races. I put talc in my bike shoes and running shoes so my damp feet will quickly slide into my shoes. Haven't had a blister yet. I just don't want to give up free time in transitions to put on socks. I figure if someone I'm racing spends just one minute fighting with their socks I can run 20 seconds per mile slower over 3 miles in a sprint and still be dead even.

I use body glide on the tongue and upper heel of both my bike and running shoes...then dump in talc on the inner soles. A damp foot slides right in slick as a whistle.
2018-03-16 8:35 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Ventura, California

Originally posted by lutzman I never use socks for Olympic and sprint distance races. I put talc in my bike shoes and running shoes so my damp feet will quickly slide into my shoes. Haven't had a blister yet. I just don't want to give up free time in transitions to put on socks. I figure if someone I'm racing spends just one minute fighting with their socks I can run 20 seconds per mile slower over 3 miles in a sprint and still be dead even. I use body glide on the tongue and upper heel of both my bike and running shoes...then dump in talc on the inner soles. A damp foot slides right in slick as a whistle.

Interesting technique I have not heard of before, makes alot of sense.

Hmmm, I think I am going to have to experiment with this technique. In the case of socks I have them rolled up like a condom and sitting in my bike shoes, when I run up from the swim I don't even bother drying my feet, I just roll the socks on like a glove and slide them into the bike shoe, takes mere seconds. But I like learning new techniques and this one sounds even faster. 

Thanks,

2018-03-18 7:51 PM
in reply to: rjcalhoun

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I just roll the socks onto wet feet....

I may pour water over my feet to wash off mud/sand, but not dry them. (I usually do IM though and need to not blister up my feet).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » is too much talc for T1 possible Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is this possible with a GPS watch?

Started by atobia10
Views: 454 Posts: 4

2018-02-16 12:01 PM HaydenHunter

IM 70.3: Is it possible to transfer?

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 1000 Posts: 4

2018-02-03 10:15 PM canadarn2001

T1 question

Started by Burchib
Views: 660 Posts: 6

2017-09-29 3:18 PM Burchib

Possible to do 5k followed by marathon (next day)

Started by goran007
Views: 875 Posts: 10

2017-09-19 6:03 AM CBess

Wetsuit-T1

Started by Burchib
Views: 700 Posts: 13

2017-08-23 4:14 PM Burchib