Other Resources The Political Joe » Student walk out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-14 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Student walk out
There is a good reason we don't let children vote. They simply lack enough real world experiences to make wise choices. Walking out of school to protest gun violence makes for good TV footage but changes nothing. As pro-gun as I was in HS, I'd of walked out too simply because it sounds like a fun thing to do. It's hard to sustain any 'movement' in this country. The Tea Party looked like they were going to transform government and had millions of participants in Tea Party rallies...but it seems to have just about dried up. Every time there is a mass shooting there all calls for stricter gun controls and pleas for someone to 'do something'. Maybe this time will be different. I think best course of action is to arm a few teachers. But as I think we all agreed, each school is different and there is not a one-size fits all.

I have noticed that when our country built a brand new elementary school it was designed to be able to be secured and access controlled. We can secure schools....just like we secured the cockpits of every airliner in America.

2018-03-14 9:51 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Student walk out

Here in Maryland the responses from schools have run the gamut...my daughter's school (Catholic high school) is allowing the kids to walk out of classes but stay in the building and the entire school will lead a prayer session for the families.  Some of the public schools are saying "no freakin' way": you leave school, you suffer the consequences.  Some of the other schools are being a little more liberal (no pun intended, or maybe I was ).  The ACLU is keeping an eye on things, but seemed very measured in their words around kids receiving measured punishment as defined by school rules.  They were more about making sure things weren't politically motivated.  Time will tell how that plays out, probably district to district.

I was thinking (and talked to my daughter about it...) about how this is a really teachable moment for our kids, that we support their right to speak their minds, but that those words and actions sometimes have consequences.  I also told her that she has the freedom to believe what she wants to believe, but make damned sure she examines all of the sides of the argument or issue and not just follow the sheople. 

Like Mike said, they don't have the wisdom from experience to be allowed a vote, but that doesn't prevent them from speaking up.

I just hope these protests unite rather than divide, but I'm betting it devolves into thousands of kids carrying "Ban AR-15s" signs.

2018-03-14 11:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

My kids go to school in the same district as Columbine High School, and the district has been very cooperative with the walkouts. We've gotten emails from the superintendent with detailed information, and the school district has implemented a bunch of safety measures ahead of time, including notifying the media that they are not allowed on school property, etc etc. I assume it will be a very big deal here. My kids are in elementary school so they aren't involved, but their school is going to talk about kindness and bullying during this time. 

I'm not sure it'll do any good with Congress, but I think it's fine for high schoolers to have 17 minutes and feel like they have a sense of purpose. You guys might not have cared, and a lot of students might go along with it, but there are plenty of students out there who want to see a change and want to do something, anything to have their voices heard. 

I see a lot of people pushing this #walkupnotout movement. I think that misses the point. It's telling these kids that it's their fault they're being shot in school, that it's because of something they did wrong. Yes, treat your fellow students with kindness and respect, but since when did being imperfect to another human being mean getting shot in school? 

2018-03-14 11:40 AM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Stacers

My kids go to school in the same district as Columbine High School, and the district has been very cooperative with the walkouts. We've gotten emails from the superintendent with detailed information, and the school district has implemented a bunch of safety measures ahead of time, including notifying the media that they are not allowed on school property, etc etc. I assume it will be a very big deal here. My kids are in elementary school so they aren't involved, but their school is going to talk about kindness and bullying during this time. 

I'm not sure it'll do any good with Congress, but I think it's fine for high schoolers to have 17 minutes and feel like they have a sense of purpose. You guys might not have cared, and a lot of students might go along with it, but there are plenty of students out there who want to see a change and want to do something, anything to have their voices heard. 

I see a lot of people pushing this #walkupnotout movement. I think that misses the point. It's telling these kids that it's their fault they're being shot in school, that it's because of something they did wrong. Yes, treat your fellow students with kindness and respect, but since when did being imperfect to another human being mean getting shot in school? 

I agree but they do have a point. I have very few regrets in my life but one that I've had to learn to live with is the suicide of a friend/coworker. He was manic/depressant....or bi-polar as they now call it. As long as he was on his meds, he was fine. Off his meds and he was Eeyore. One day he put a shotgun in his mouth and blew his head off. I wish I'd of been a better friend to him and maybe he'd of talked to me when he was in those down spots instead of feeling friendless. I do think the one thing that kids can do - other than walking around with signs - is to actively befriend the guys on the fringes. Those people who are just a little weird....maybe loners. Maybe form a team that would meet monthly and talk about what they have seen and how they can help one of their classmates re-engage with the class.

Of course, HSers have their Breakfast Club clicks so not sure how that would work.

Personally I have a hard time identifying with large schools. We had about 500 in our HS.....and 80 in my graduating class. I literally knew every one of them by name.....well, maybe not all the freshman when I was senior but generally 2 grades ahead and behind me. Anyway, the point is, we all knew who was the "most likely to go nuts one day" guys were.

2018-03-15 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
"New Jersey’s Sayreville School District is issuing two-day suspensions for students who participated in the student walkout for gun control."

Guess some kids have to learn the hard way that just because you feel passionate about your cause does not mean you get to break the rules. There are consequences for your actions.

Who was it that said, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." It was cop drama in the 70s but I can't recall the name of it.
2018-03-15 7:59 AM

User image

Pro

"Baretta"

That show was a dumb as these kids being used as pawns for gun control advocates.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Student walk out Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Students walk out......... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Left Brain
Views: 1936 Posts: 62

2018-02-26 8:53 AM Rogillio

Two Jews walk into a bar...

Started by Rogillio
Views: 614 Posts: 3

2018-01-15 10:57 AM Rogillio

Student walk-out at Notre Dame graduation