General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Step back week Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-16 9:41 AM

User image

Subject: Step back week
I've been starting into my training for the new season. This winter I've been working with weights besides maintaining a base for running, swimming and biking. Before you ask, I'm doing weights because it was suggested in Joe Friel's book that anyone over 50 do some weights to compensate for losing muscle mass. I'm 63.
Next week is my step back week. Do I cut back on the time/intensity spent on weights as well?

2018-03-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Step back week
Yes, keep the frequency and number of reps but lower the weights. So if you're doing 3 sets @ "X" lbs - do 3 sets @ less than "x" lbs.

With SBR, again, keep the frequency but lower the intensity (i.e, slower pace - no hills) and go for shorter time. I usually just do 30 minutes per work out. It will really seem like you're not doing anything but as Friel mentions in his book - that's the point. You have to be just a disciplined during your rest week as the build weeks.

Happy training!

Frank
2018-03-16 11:24 AM
in reply to: Frank in St. Louis

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

cut-back weeks have been shown to be questionable at best

2018-03-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by dmiller5

Really? I had no idea - shows you what I know.

When I started really focused training (2004) I read all kinds of books, articles, etc... At the time, the build/rest platform was what seemed to be the smartest way to train. So, since then, I've been doing my same training regimen for years and it's worked for me (3 weeks build, 1 rest, 3 weeks build, 1 rest, etc...)

2018-03-16 12:12 PM

User image

That would be great because I have a difficult time cutting back, a little type A. Where did you read this?
2018-03-16 3:28 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

For some.  For others, recovery weeks are absolutely necessary.  Some people do better with a few days of recover versus an entire week.  I question making a blanket statement that cut-back weeks have been shown to be questionable.  By who?  By which peer-reviewed study?

Or are you disputing the need for recovery Dave?

2018-03-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

just disputing the 3 week on 1 week off cycle that is dictated as the correct week to train for everyone. disputing that an entire recovery week, 25% of your training time, is necessary if the training load is correct. disputing that they should be scheduled months in advance.

2018-03-18 12:38 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

just disputing the 3 week on 1 week off cycle that is dictated as the correct week to train for everyone. disputing that an entire recovery week, 25% of your training time, is necessary if the training load is correct. disputing that they should be scheduled months in advance.

FWIW, the 3 week on 1 week off cycle is just the most common structure used in stock training plans.  It's not dictated by anyone knowledgeable about training principles.

The ideal training structure is specific to the individual athlete.  Some do well with 3 week/1 week.  Some athletes (especially older ones) do best with 2 week/1 week.  Some people do very well with 5 days on / 2 days off.  Some excel with 11 days on / 3 days off.  The possibilities are endless, plus the ideal schedule will even change over time for a given athlete.  The only things that are universal are the concepts of alternating stress and recovery and varying intensity from day to day even within the "on" periods.

2018-03-18 12:45 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by TriMyBest

FWIW, the 3 week on 1 week off cycle is just the most common structure used in stock training plans.  It's not dictated by anyone knowledgeable about training principles.

The ideal training structure is specific to the individual athlete.  Some do well with 3 week/1 week.  Some athletes (especially older ones) do best with 2 week/1 week.  Some people do very well with 5 days on / 2 days off.  Some excel with 11 days on / 3 days off.  The possibilities are endless, plus the ideal schedule will even change over time for a given athlete.  The only things that are universal are the concepts of alternating stress and recovery and varying intensity from day to day even within the "on" periods.

i wouldn't argue with any of that.  I've just seen too many athletes follow the rote 3 weeks on, 1 week off to their detriment.  my personal view is that training plans should be far more flexible and allow for rest periods as load, stress, and other factors impact fatigue levels and injury risk

2018-03-18 3:28 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TriMyBest

i wouldn't argue with any of that.  I've just seen too many athletes follow the rote 3 weeks on, 1 week off to their detriment.  my personal view is that training plans should be far more flexible and allow for rest periods as load, stress, and other factors impact fatigue levels and injury risk

There's no doubt about that.  For an experienced athlete, like yourself, those sort of adjustments aren't too difficult, because you know how to listen to your body and what to do.  The challenge is for inexperienced athletes who haven't learned yet how to understand what their body is telling them nor what to do even if they did understand what it was saying.  That's one of the most common reasons less experienced athletes hire coaches.  It provides them with an objective guide and teacher.

2018-03-18 5:19 PM
in reply to: #5239934

I really like Friel's books. I have used the mountainbike bible for years and recently bought the triathlon bible ebook. They provide a great starting point for people new to structured training.

Over time you will learn how much recovery you need but when you are starting out, there is no harm in following the plans as they are. I am following his structure loosely at the moment as I am new to triathlon and have no idea about structures run and swim training.

I am currently going through his build phase but it will be about 6 weeks in total as I am approaching an A race. I know from experience that I can do an intense 6 week build and get more out of it than doing 5 weeks with a recovery week in the middle somewhere. At the end of the 6 weeks I have time for a 2 week peak and then race week.

2018-03-18 6:20 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Agreed, it depends on the person and it's one of the things you'll figure out along the way. I've tried it several ways from 3/1 to no easy weeks. I do find I'm best if I take an easy week periodically to recover from the accumulated fatigue. I decided to follow a trainneroad base plan this winter and it's 5/1. That feels about right for me. . . my legs are super heavy by the end of that fifth week.
2018-03-18 9:16 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

So what I'm gleaning from this is to take a step back period (length depending on the person) when you feel your body asking for one. The way the body asks is by feeling fatigued and heavy feeling muscles. During that period, intensity, length and weight (in the case of weight lifting) should be reduced.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Step back week Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Got sick... 2 weeks until my first HIM, need help getting back on track

Started by Dill-Ag13
Views: 684 Posts: 8

2017-11-15 11:21 AM NickJons

back on the bike, much higher power output

Started by racalvert
Views: 1029 Posts: 10

2017-10-16 7:37 PM zedzded

How to get back into training, need some motivation

Started by rjcalhoun
Views: 782 Posts: 5

2017-08-08 2:16 PM BlueBoy26

What's a "typical" recovery week look like?

Started by nc452010
Views: 934 Posts: 10

2017-03-29 1:51 AM WildWill

Calf tear - 6 weeks out from 70.3

Started by tmespo
Views: 830 Posts: 7

2017-03-19 2:19 AM Hot Runner