Atlanta Track Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 45m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I'd been officially training for this marathon since Thanksgiving week, but had done a 10-mile and half marathon race leading up to the start of training. I had a few weeks where I didn't hit my miles - over Christmas, in January when I had the flu, then three weeks ago when I was traveling. But I had nailed all of my long runs and felt good going into this.

Up at 4:30 a.m. where I breezed through everything I needed to do at home, including coffee and a waffle. Then I left the house at 5 to catch the 5:20 train. Love that the city started running trains an hour early just for the race.
Event warmup:

Followed the steady stream of runners about 4/10 mile to Centennial Park where everything was set up. I found the Gear Check tent, then backtracked to the porta potties before sitting down to apply sunscreen and eat a bagel before dropping my bag and heading to my starting coralle. I was in the last wave due to predicted time, but no worries. The atmosphere was great and I was super pumped to start my 8th standalone/11th total marathon.
Run
  • 5h 45m 48s
  • 26.5 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

It only took 12 minutes for my wave to make it's way to the start line, and I was testing the Live Track feature with my family via my new Garmin - so pushing the start button I was hopeful that they'd be able to follow along.

Dark at the start, and not many spectators at all, but I was so happy to be running in my new city. The runner congestion cleared very quickly, and I settled into a groove early. Now, I knew this race was going to be hilly, and I was determined to not let that interfere with my mental state. I held off on any walking until mile 3, then started walking up some of the hills. It was going to be a long day, and it was ok to walk when I needed to.

Getting to double digits at mile 10 was tedious for a bit, then again tedious to get to the halfway mark. It was starting to warm up, so I intentionally started drinking more water (YAY for my handheld! Wasn't going to make the mistake of not bringing it again). Then before I knew it I was at mile 15 and that was when I told myself I could take 2 more ibuprofin with my date. I had eaten a date a miles 5, 10 and 15 at this point.

Miles 15-20 I don't really remember, except for being proud that I was challenging myself to run up at least half of each hill. My legs were still feeling OK, with my right lower calf/ankle starting to talk, but nothing serious. My knees were SURPRISINGLY okay, they never hurt once.

I was super excited to get to mile 20, the ultimate mental milestone. Just a 10K to go! I remember at one point I was walking behind two girls who I'd been around for most of the race. One of them was struggling, and the other was being SO supportive and at one point they linked arms and kind of leaned on each other as they made their way up the hill. I CRIED. I legit cried at these two strangers (friends? Lovers?) who epitomized the spirit of running and pushing through. Also somewhere in here my stomach threatened to growl so I ate half of a Clif bar that I was carrying. It was the perfect amount to keep my stomach quiet and went down easy.

My mom and sister had been tracking me live, and were sending me texts along the way that I would read walking up the hills. I have to say that those made such a difference! I loved that they were checking in on me, especially in the last miles. <3

Kept checking off the miles with so many hills in this last bit. I'll post the elevation chart and you'll see what I'm talking about. I did love running through Piedmont Park, a classic Atlanta landmark (where I saw Bruno Mars play!) and there were SO MANY people and kids and dogs. I kind of thought I was going to get lost in the crowds but managed to follow the orange cones haha. Ate the other half of my Clif bar somewhere in here.

Finally saw the mile 25 marker and was excited. Last mile of this journey that marked another milestone since recovering from my broken leg, marked my return from getting back in the groove after moving across the country, and was the last milestone before starting Ironman training next week.

Coming into the finish area, I was a little surprised there were hardly any spectators, but I had to remember I was in the last wave and one of the slower runners. I focused on making my way to that finish line with the biggest smile on my face. Love running, love this city, love crossing that finish line!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I executed really well for my abilities.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my sweet medal and a sad snack box of food I couldn't eat (save for a mini snack bag of M&Ms) and found a place to sit for a minute. I was kind of weepy, just so happy to be out here and finishing another marathon. After I collected myself and my gear bag, I walked the 4/10 mile to the MARTA station and put my stinky self on the train - sorry not sorry, passengers! I just ran a marathon! I was home just before 2:30 and wolfed down some leftovers from the other night before getting in my Epsom salt bath and taking a nap.

In my post-run assessment, I'm so happy with how this went. My pace was fairly steady (almost exactly mirroring my long runs), I never walked huge chunks, challenged myself to run up at least half of each hill, I never felt terrible or in despair, and no joints or body parts hurt alarmingly. I don't even have blisters or peeling skin on my feet. Very happy with this.

Nutrition: Dates at miles 5, 10 and 15 (I might have had one more somewhere in there), 1/2 Clif bar at mile 18, the other half at mile 22, and tons of Poweraid and water. I took a Poweraid, sometimes two cups, at every aid station I could, and re-filled my handheld water bottle 3 or 4 times. This was intentional; I could feel how much I was sweating and could see the salt on my pants early on.

Event comments:

A great race through so many cool areas of Atlanta! One of the hiller races I've ever done, but worth it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2017-07-18 12:00 AM
Running
05:45:48 | 26.5 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Through so many cool parts of Atlanta! Centennial Park, Candler Park, Decatur, Emory University, Druid Hills, Virginia Highlands, Piedmont Park and Midtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-03-18 7:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Georgia Marathon

2018-03-19 7:13 AM
in reply to: #5240014

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Georgia Marathon
Great job! I always admire your positivity.
2018-03-19 8:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Way to go!! Sounds like a perfect race day and a great learning experience as you transition to IM training.

2018-03-19 12:06 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations!

2018-03-19 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Just such a SOLID race. Really cool that you were able to take the train to/from and be home by early afternoon. Yay for running in your backyard!

2018-03-19 2:44 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

First, it's totally OK to get emotional during and especially after a race, especially considering what you personally went through to get here.  Second, CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I love how  your family was able to track you and send you inspiration and love and how those texts gave you a boost.  Nice work!

2018-03-20 5:18 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Congratulations! Sweet medal!
2018-03-20 11:15 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Nice work! Looks like we both got sick before our marathons, ughh....
2018-03-21 9:14 AM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Great job!! Dates....hmm...I may have to try those in training.
2018-03-21 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations Lisa! You may not know how much of an inspiration you are to some of us. I loved reading how much this means to you, seeing the emotional response you had to the others around you and to the race itself.

2018-03-23 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Congrats on your finish Lisa. You write such great reports and I like when you put focus on the real important things in life.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock ā€˜nā€™ Roll Raleigh Half Marathon

Started by awm007
Views: 1079 Posts: 2

2017-04-03 12:17 PM melbo55

Berlin Half Marathon

Started by Yman
Views: 757 Posts: 1

2017-04-02 9:11 AM Yman