General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to Run Transitions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-23 6:30 PM

Subject: Bike to Run Transitions
How do you all push your bike back to your transition area once you have gotten out of your bike shoes and the shoes are still attached to the pedals? I plan on getting out of my shoes prior to getting off the bike, and have both my legs on one side of the bike prior to the line for an easy dismount. This obviously puts the pedal to its lowest spot. Once completely off the bike, I'm trying to figure out how to do this without dragging my shoes on the ground as I'm pushing the bike. IS it just a quick movement of lifting up the rear of the bike and then moving the pedals to be level? Probably a stupid question, but Ive never really seen it done before TIA!!

2018-03-24 9:49 AM
in reply to: GooseHunter131

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Bike to Run Transitions
I let my shoes just drag... no other way around it. Also, for the first race, consider doing a bit of a hybrid... have your shoes attached to the pedals, but step over it and into one shoe, push off and get up to speed before getting the other foot in. Before getting to dismount, open up your shoes, riding a bit with the the foot in, but not strapped, lift your heals out before getting to dismount, take one foot out, stop and step over the bike and on you go. It's almost as fast, but quite a bit safer until you feel very comfortable with flying mounts and dismounts.
2018-03-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I do as described above. That way you can make sure the pedals/shoes are in position not to drag when you dismount.
2018-03-27 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

It's happened to me more than once where in a race, at the bike dismount, I've had my shoe come off my pedal at the dismount due to it hitting the ground. In both instances it was due to the lack of tension in my pedal/cleat that had lessened over a period of time. Something to be mindful if you use SPD pedals.

2018-03-27 10:17 AM

I dismount at a pretty good clip, and I let them drag. Here is something very scientific I did with my shoes summer before last. I put duct tape on the heels. Eliminates the damage from dragging and what could look more cool than a guy with red and black shoes with silver duct tape on the heels??

One thing not really related to this is my first couple tri's I found that I may have dismounted carrying a little too much speed. It was almost a disaster but I was able to run those first few steps fast enough to slow down. The legs don't work real well those first few yards, so error on the slow side as you dismount. Also, if it helps, I place my right hand on my seat and run with my arm away from me on the seat. I can balance the bike this way, steer it by a slight lean on the seat, and I don't trip over it. I have seen some people almost running sideways with one hand on seat and one on the bars, and they are clanging shins into pedals etc. Keep the bike away from you.
2018-03-27 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Also depends on the length of transition. Some of my local races has a long skinny transition area = more chance to drag shoes or have them pop off.

I either loosen the shoes right before dismount and run with them on and slide them off as I'm racking the bike or slide out at dismount, leave them on and take my chances for the shorter transition areas.

2018-03-28 8:50 PM
in reply to: #5240305

Thanks for the advice!! To
Me, it seems easy to literally take two seconds and just level out my pedals after getting off the bike. All it takes is a quick lift of me seat and pulling up on the pedal/shoe 1/4 rotation. I’m not the kind of guy that will be on the podium by any means, but I won’t be at the back of the pack either. I’ve practiced this a few times since my original post, and honestly seems way quicker and far less frustrating than dragging shoes and having a bike bouncing around as I’m pushing the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike to Run Transitions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Help Choosing A Garmin Watch...Or Any Watch for Run/Bike/OWSwim

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1032 Posts: 11

2017-12-01 8:20 AM TheCrownsOwn

Transition Area Etiquette Reposted from Articles

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 678 Posts: 1

2017-06-27 1:46 PM alicefoeller

Transition Area Etiquette - Article w Tips

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 842 Posts: 3

2017-06-11 2:47 PM Just Plain Ted

Run fitness complimenting bike fitness?

Started by zedzded
Views: 1201 Posts: 8

2017-05-02 9:55 PM Bripod

Tri watch VS. running watch+bike computer.

Started by DaniD
Views: 1353 Posts: 3

2017-04-05 9:41 AM LundyLund