General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XLab Torpedo Hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-24 2:22 PM

Subject: XLab Torpedo Hydration
I bought one of these for my aero bars, and I love the system. However, taking a single sip of water is like trying trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I understand the concept of not taking in any air with a sip, but it almost makes you want to save your energy and not even drink. Is there anyway to get this to go away? I have the clear top lid without slots, and I keep the other straw hole plugged as it came to prevent water from spilling out. Thanks a bunch!!

2018-03-26 2:07 AM
in reply to: GooseHunter131

Subject: RE: XLab Torpedo Hydration
Originally posted by GooseHunter131

I bought one of these for my aero bars, and I love the system. However, taking a single sip of water is like trying trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I understand the concept of not taking in any air with a sip, but it almost makes you want to save your energy and not even drink. Is there anyway to get this to go away? I have the clear top lid without slots, and I keep the other straw hole plugged as it came to prevent water from spilling out. Thanks a bunch!!

Something's not right, water should come straight out. You may have to trim the straw, I seem to remember they are quite long. Perhaps it's doubled over in the bidon?
2018-03-28 8:54 PM
in reply to: #5240325

I trimmed the straw to my liking. It’s not bent over at all, I pulled up on the straw so it wasn’t hitting the bottom of the bottle. That didn’t work. I have a camel back bite valve on the end I thought may have been doing it, but that wasn’t it either. The only way for it to not do as I described is to open the lid for air flow. After that, it works fine. Bad part to that is it defeats the purpose of the lid. Beats me..
2018-03-30 9:17 AM

User image

There is a little rubber one-way valve plug thingy on the top of it that should let air in while you drink. It it is clogged, it will cause the problem you describe - especially if the bottle is full. I would check to see if that thing is working properly. If not, perhaps the place you purchased it will exchange it on warranty or order a new part for you?

- Ed
2018-03-30 2:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I had the same frustration. My heart rate would go up 5-7 bpm just trying to get a sip of water! I ended up cutting the bite valve off all together. That helped a bunch. To further improve flow with the clear cap, I drilled a small hole in the rubber plug that goes in the alternate straw hole. (I have the Versa 50 which doesn't have the air inlet valve. A pin hole in the solid clear cap is supposed to allow the air into the bottle to replace the liquid going out the straw.)

Edited by gary p 2018-03-30 2:52 PM
2018-04-03 10:43 PM

Xlab sent me a new lid. The one I had didn't have the small hole in it to allow proper venting. Got the new one with the hole, and it works as it should. Thanks for the replies!!

2018-04-08 7:52 PM

One other note, buy a Speedfil valve and swap the one out from Xlab. Thank me later. Glad they got you a lid with a hole in it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » XLab Torpedo Hydration Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BTA hydration

Started by jnuger
Views: 823 Posts: 3

2017-09-07 2:49 PM marcag

Canyon Speedmax Hydration Set-up

Started by Buggeracup
Views: 1065 Posts: 2

2017-05-29 12:55 PM Buggeracup

Cervelo p2c hydration options