General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for first Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-25 5:44 AM

Subject: Training for first Tri
Hey there, been lurking around reading posts for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd introduce myself!

I'm 22, 6'8, living in NZ, 300lb and have for the last few weeks been training and preparing to start some proper training for my first sprint tri. I've always been fairly fit for my weight, lots of rugby etc but 2 broken ankles did make me pack on a bit of fat. I've gotten back into swimming and am reasonably fit, I can swim 500m fairly easily due to doing alot of surfing and surf photography which includes treading for hours. Have just got back on the bike, once again I don't struggle too much but it is a struggle to get the fit right with my height - super long torso and shortish legs. Working closely with my LB store on this, they've been great. Anyone tall experience this?
Run is the part i'm most worried for, I've done a few 4km runs comfortably but my ankles struggle the next day, I think for the next couple of months I'm going to focus mainly on the bike and swim and try lose a bit more weight to make it easier on my ankles. Triathlon I am aiming to compete in is January, I feel like I could do a sprint tri without doing too much training, and love a challenge so I may go for full distance... I guess I can decide this in a few months time? Nutrition is a big learning curb for me, luckily my new wife is right into it and taking alot of the hard work away!
Anyway, look forward to getting involved and learning from the website!

2018-03-25 5:48 PM
in reply to: benmcleodnz

Subject: RE: Training for first Tri
Also, I'm struggling to understand the whole mentor thing in the forum - it seems like a really cool idea and I'd love to get involved?
2018-03-26 5:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. Do your sprint tri and then decide whether you want to move up to Olympic or a Half Iron distance. Have fun with the journey!
2018-03-26 9:12 PM
in reply to: 0

Edited by HaydenHunter 2018-03-26 9:13 PM
2018-03-27 6:49 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by benmcleodnz Also, I'm struggling to understand the whole mentor thing in the forum - it seems like a really cool idea and I'd love to get involved?

It is a cool idea Ron implemented with a few years back.  I've mentored a couple times.  

"Officially" the mentor group has a leader (called the mentor) and a manageable number of members (typically, these would be protege's in a typical mentor/protege arrangement).  In all but a few cases, please understand that Moderator =/= (does not equal) coach.  

In the best groups, the group has a moderator/facilitator who can manage group dynamics and the entire group shares leadership which includes answering one another's questions, holding other members accountable, providing support to one another as each struggles to make the process work.  

I've been blessed that my groups have generally thrived and I've learned as much from my protege's as they have from me.  (I haven't been active enough on BT to mentor the past few years.)  

They may be starting up some groups.  Read the leader bio's.  Read the bio's of the people comprising the group, and ASK TO JOIN ONE!

2018-03-28 3:59 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Thanks McFuzz!

Yes, go to the Mentor Forum and check the subject lines. Any group that has "OPEN" in the subject line is accepting new members. You can reply to the thread of that group and introduce yourself, and then you'll be in!

Many of the groups are wrapping up in April, but some of them keep going all year.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Training for first Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri sprint

Started by RoyalEngineer
Views: 700 Posts: 2

2017-08-07 8:55 AM colesdad

first tri at 62

Started by rkneeland
Views: 546 Posts: 2

2017-07-21 6:54 AM StaceyK

Tavel to Tri First Timer