General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Seeding and Cutoff Times! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-27 11:24 AM

Subject: Self Seeding and Cutoff Times!

I'm looking for some advice on self-seeding and impact on cut-off times for full Ironman distance.

In a nutshell - I'm looking to finish swim around 1:50, current bike longer distance (75 mile training ride at roughly correct elevation gains) puts me at 14.5 MPH so right around 8 hours for bike. That leaves VERY little time for transitions, potty break, any errors and I'm nervous that I'm putting myself in a spot to get picked off by starting at the back of the pack.

Anyone have experiences they can share with this and advice on how best to manage? Other than swim/bike faster?!

Thank you!

2018-03-27 12:17 PM
in reply to: meggieb

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Self Seeding and Cutoff Times!
Do not seed yourself anywhere other than where you should be based on your time. The fastest swimmers will be going over twice your speed and with the limited visibility in the water, that will certainly lead to a bad situation. It's also not fair to those that have put in the time and effort to get that fast to have to deal with it. In wave start, faster swimmers will tend to be aware of slower swimmers being in front of them (and know that they didn't have a choice but to be there) and will largely be respectful. If someone self seeds where they have no reason being, expect a bunch of aggressive Type A's to swim right over top of you whether intentional or not.

Cut off times are based on the last wave (in a wave start) or when the last person enters the water in a rolling start. So it doesn't make a difference. Do not seed yourself improperly.

2018-03-27 2:14 PM
in reply to: 3mar

I'm definitely NOT looking to seed myself improperly and I'm trying hard to prepare to be swum over already given it is a 2 loop course. However, a 530 cutoff time seems to me like it gives an advantage to those that start at say 7:10 as opposed to me at the back of the pack. Triathlon is attempting to get new folks into this sport - I'm one of these newbies and just because I'm not fast doesn't mean you should assume I haven't put in the "time and effort".

I have worked my tail off to get to this race and currently sit at week 25 of 30 weeks of training so I hope that someone in this thread has better advice for me than for you to ASSUME I haven't worked hard to get where I am at.

The whole reason I started the thread was to get advice from folks that have maybe been in a similar position, not to help me seed myself improperly!

2018-03-27 2:34 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Although the people that start earlier won't get physically removed from the course if they don't meet the cutoff time, they will end up as an official DNF (did not finish) in the results. So if someone starts early, and spend more time in the water than the cutoff allows, they will be disqualified officially, although not physically removed from the race. Everyone is held to the same cut off time regardless of when they get in the water. Your cut off time starts when you walk over the mat.

2018-03-27 3:02 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Not sure which race you're doing, but consult the athlete's guide and if you want, contact the race director about how the start and cutoffs are implemented.  

Agree, with a 1:50 swim and 8:00 bike, you've got 40 minutes available between a 7:00AM start and a 5:30PM run start cutoff (which you should confirm).  10 minute transitions aren't unreasonable, but puts you in a 20 minute window to actually start swimming.  In the past with a mass start, that is plenty.  In time-trial starts, they can usually get 12-20 people per minute (3-5 second intervals).  

Obviously, given your concern with potentially missing the 5:30 cutoff, you wouldn't want to seed yourself any further back in the swim than necessary.  (Expect a few others to have the same concerns.)  Some slow swimmers will blast the bike, and you might plead to start ahead of them (hey...they get to pass you on the bike, so win for them...)

2018-03-27 3:49 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I ran across this article that may be helpful to you - it talks about how to decide where in your allocated slot to position yourself based on what type of swimmer you are (elite/good/poor). I personally liked the tip about positioning yourself for the most relaxed approach... if you have swim anxiety, this may mean starting towards the back of your wave is actually more advantageous. That kind of thing.

My other piece of advice would be to stay focused during the race - which can be hard to do when you're out there for 15, 16, 17 hours. Continuously be thinking about your next move, next mile, next nutrition checkpoint, etc., instead of zoning out or daydreaming (guilty here!). As you near the end of the swim, visualize yourself coming out of the water, running (at least jog! Lots of time is lost walking in transition) to your bag, getting what you need, what order will you do things in transition, jogging out of transition and smoothly mounting your bike. Do the same as you get ready to finish biking. For me, this helped eliminate some of the fumbling around time where you end up saying "what am I doing?!" and spend valuable time re-grouping.

Last, if you haven't already, check out race reports from folks who are around your speed (I may be one of them ). Read up on tactics that worked and didn't work for them, note what they wish they would have done differently. Best of luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Seeding and Cutoff Times! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tell me again why I shouldn't wear core shorts all the time

Started by nc452010
Views: 1766 Posts: 15

2017-05-11 11:28 AM JohnnyKay

limited time for cycling

Started by panino
Views: 1026 Posts: 9

2017-05-09 10:19 AM simpsonbo

First time destination 1/2 IM?