General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Boulder - Training Derailed, Can I make it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-27 11:54 AM

Regular
Corona
Subject: IM Boulder - Training Derailed, Can I make it?
I would like some opinions. Here is some back ground:

I signed up for IM Boulder last year after Oceanside 70.3 expecting to at least maintain a level of fitness leading up to the new year and get after the bigger mileage/time requirements to build for the IM distance with the hope and prayer for a PR. For me, my bike fitness has always carried me through and typically has been solid for most of the year. I would usually build up around November/December and have at least 2-4 centuries ridden during the 'winter' months. I had a solid year building run fitness with a half mary PR and a major PR in the Oceanside run. Swim is my swim. I neglected it for Oceanside and paid the price.This will be my 2nd IM, the last being IMAZ in 2015 (13:30). I train using HR on the bike and run.

Fast forward to September - I got a new job which included relocating to a new state that actually has a Winter - SoCal to Idaho - which meant not much riding besides the mind numbingness of trainer rides. I dropped off the fitness cliff in November/December and came back with decent showings in January and Feb and was able to stay consistent and began to see the fitness coming back. Come March and I got nailed with sickness after sickness which derailed any training for 3+ weeks which were expected to be my bigger, longer base building weeks.

I have 2 solid months of training remaining given I taper for 2 weeks leading up to race day. In your opinion - do I have enough time to not have a religious experience come race day? Should I expect to basically do a major base build for 2 months of long hours in the saddle and slower, low HR runs? Am I over-reacting and should stay calm and pick up my training where I left off?

I can answer any additional questions, if any. Thanks!

2018-03-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: tmoran07

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: IM Boulder - Training Derailed, Can I make it?
Do what you can. Then adjust your race pace accordingly, might have to go much easier on the bike than you'd like to.

I was in a similar situation in 2016. I was signed up for IM CdA, Two injuries during the spring/summer derailed the training schedule but I was able to transfer from IM CdA to IM LOU for a small transfer fee ($50 I think). Too bad too because IM CdA is no more. But IM LOU was great.

As long as the later race is not sold out you might be able to transfer.
2018-03-28 8:38 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

The "religious experience" will occur if you're race strategy isn't supported by your actual training.  

As for the next 2 months...you'll be balancing the aggressiveness to get faster with the risk of training injury.  

2018-03-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Regular
Corona
Update: Met w/ Dr yesterday and I have a Meniscus strain and have been advised to stay off of it for 2-3 more weeks.

So that being said, 'Aggressiveness' in my training is out the window. I'm looking to just get the distance done. Build fitness to the point where I will be able to complete the swim and the bike with a respectable effort and do what I can on the run. At that point I think it'll be a matter of pain management.

I'm not planning on competing and am not worried about being fast. I want to be able to complete the distance without hold Jesus' hand for the last 10 miles.
2018-03-29 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I'd focus on the swim and bike, get the distance in for long runs.

I'm going to speculate there will be some walking on the marathon portion, so you want to fortify on the swim and bike to make plenty of cushion for the run. Most IM athletes don't come close to "race pace" or utilizing peak VO2 on the run as GI distress, muscle fatigue, cramps, etc come into play and slow you down. 3 runs a week with long runs as you probably have done in the past would be good.

I'd look to 4 to 5 rides a week anywhere from 1 hour to the longer rides on weekends (varying intensities, intervals, etc). Get that power built up so you don't burn all your matches keeping a nice steady effort through the bike.

Planned right and paced well, you should be fine under 17 hours without seeing Jesus.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Boulder - Training Derailed, Can I make it? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Mont-Tremblant or IM Louisville for first IM?

Started by AJzip
Views: 1263 Posts: 6

2017-08-25 5:46 AM Toefuzz

Boulder 70.3

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 984 Posts: 9

2018-02-07 1:23 PM TriJayhawkRyan

Weather is making me mad!

Started by Shotshell
Views: 351 Posts: 2

2017-04-26 12:02 PM Shotshell

Need to choose first full IM