General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not able to sustain average wattbike power on an acutal bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-28 6:42 AM

Subject: Not able to sustain average wattbike power on an acutal bike.
Hi

I've just started cycling on an actual road bike after doing over a years training on a Wattbike and I'm pretty confused (and annoyed) as to why I can't replicate the same average level of power that I do on the Wattbike outside. I'm aware my speed outside will be slower due to resistance, gradient etc but I assumed my power levels would be roughly the same regardless. What am I missing? The only thing I can think of is bike set up. My road bike has had a professional bike fit, whereas I setup the Wattbike using guidelines like saddle to hip bone height etc. The biggest difference is the saddle on my road bike is higher than the handle bars, whereas it's vice versa on the Wattbike. The Wattbikes I use are at my local gym and are all new so it shouldn't be down to faulty power readings.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this as want to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks all

Edited by Alpal 2018-03-28 6:55 AM

2018-03-28 7:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Not able to sustain average wattbike power on an acutal bike.

the wattbikes power meters are probably suspect at best, but what power meter are you using outdoors?

Edited by dmiller5 2018-03-28 7:53 AM
2018-03-29 11:19 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

the wattbikes power meters are probably suspect at best, but what power meter are you using outdoors?

This, you'll have to do some discovery using your bike's meter to find out what the right numbers are. Don't try to chase the same numbers.
2018-03-30 3:18 AM
in reply to: Alpal

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I used to do most of my cycle training on gym watt bikes, before switching to my own bike and a tri club Computrainer, then my bike with a power meter. The watt meter on watt bikes seems to calculate power somewhat differently than the latter two. To me it seems like watt bikes tend to undervalue torque and overvalue cadence in whatever algorithm is being used to calculate power. Power seems higher than it should be when I am spinning quickly at low resistance, and lower than with my normal power meter when I am pushing a harder gear at lower cadence. It is often off by as much as 15-20 watts, depending on what kind of workout it is.

The numbers on watt bikes can be used as a reference for training sessions on the same kind of bike (ideally, the same bike--gym bikes may not all be calibrated or worn to the same degree), assuming you did your power tests on it, but you can't compare it to a Computrainer or normal power meter. If you are going to do a lot of training with the road bike and your own PM, I would suggest doing an FTP test with that equipment and using those numbers when you train on it.
2018-04-03 10:01 PM
in reply to: #5240535

Why do you care about watts? ..at the end of the day only time counts
2018-04-04 5:32 AM
in reply to: Marione982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Marione982 Why do you care about watts? ..at the end of the day only time counts

why do you care about time? at the end of the day only effort counts

2018-04-04 6:01 AM
in reply to: Alpal

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I started using trainerroad a couple years ago with a Kurt Kinetic trainer and virtual power. My ftp power was around 272 watts. when I changed to a Garmin Vector 2, the power dropped to around 253W. The difficulty of the workouts was very similar. I bought a Wahoo KICKR last year, and without power matching, the KICKR power was around 10-15 watts different from the vector 2 pedals.
2018-04-04 8:16 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Originally posted by Marione982 Why do you care about watts? ..at the end of the day only time counts

Why do you care about effort? At the end of the day, only positive feelings count.
2018-04-04 8:43 AM
in reply to: b2run

Originally posted by b2run

Why do you care about effort? At the end of the day, only positive feelings count.

Why do you care about positive feelings? At the end of the day everyone gets a trophy (or a finisher medal).
2018-04-12 5:40 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

Thanks for all the useful suggestions - will investigate further. Would prefer to do an FTP test outdoors but it's finding somewhere in my local area that I can do one uninterrupted and with relatively uniform terrain.
2018-04-12 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You can do the FTP test indoors--much safer! Just be aware that when training outside in the real world, power will tend to have more moment to moment fluctuations due to varying road and weather conditions. (For example, your power numbers will tend to be much higher when going uphill; low or even zero downhill.) But overall these should average out for most rides. It's okay to use the FTP from an indoor test as a guide to what goals you should be pushing in a workout or race; just realize it's going to be more variable than indoors on the trainer. I do almost all my bike training on the trainer, but am generally able to hit typical targets for % of FTP (based on an indoor test) at various race distances.

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-04-12 7:26 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not able to sustain average wattbike power on an acutal bike. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good triathlon blogs by average age groups athletes

Started by Triatlwest
Views: 828 Posts: 1

2017-10-29 5:38 PM Triatlwest

back on the bike, much higher power output

Started by racalvert
Views: 1043 Posts: 10

2017-10-16 7:37 PM zedzded

Not Able To Tri - Rant

Started by skibummer
Views: 732 Posts: 2