General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are your thoughts on this? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-03-30 1:50 AM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: What are your thoughts on this?
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/heart-attacks-of-the-mega-fit-how-sa...

Surely overall endurance athletes have better cardiac health than non athletes

2018-03-30 11:12 AM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: What are your thoughts on this?
It's hard to make a broad statement about a large group of people like that. Catchy headline to get readers and make non-endurance people feel justified in not working out very much. Haters.

You can set yourself up for hardening of the arteries and other issues with over training. It's a fine line, but I'd rather take my chances being and endurance athlete than waiting on Dr appts to get scripts for my meds to address issues from under-activity and the chances of serious health issues not being active.

I do go in for EKG's and Echo's on a regular basis to make sure nothing sneaks up on me.
2018-03-30 7:01 PM

User image

I turned 40 in January and 10 days later had a heart attack. My heart attack was not the result of my involvement in tri, but instead bad genetics and a lot of stress. I completed my first 70.3 last summer and am signed up for another in July. My doctors have expressed concerns stating that prolonged events like a 70.3 can do erratic things to heart rhythms.

Overall endurance events have been good for my life and my health. But these things are now front of mind for me. Too much of anything can be detrimental, but for the vast majority of us endurance events offer way more positives than negatives.
2018-03-30 7:08 PM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Would anyone of this apply to Sprint and Olympic Distance Training and Racing or just Half and Full Ironman
2018-03-30 9:22 PM

I'm definitely no expert, but I would say that sprints and olympic distance are outside this category. You can still push yourself too hard in training for these events, but I would say that the distances generally aren't long enough to fall under the "major endurance" umbrella.
2018-03-31 7:32 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Oggi

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/heart-attacks-of-the-mega-fit-how-sa...

Surely overall endurance athletes have better cardiac health than non athletes

Yes, they do. And that is said in the article and what is known in the literature.

My thoughts on this are:
Heart disease is still the number one killer and can take anyone-some have more risk and others less risk. Being an active athlete puts you in a lower risk group-not zero risk, but lower.

2018-04-05 1:32 PM

How many people enter extreme (i.e. IM, HIM, Marathons, long distance swimming etc.) endurance sports for "health"? There are better ways to simply be healthy like moderate eating and moderate exercise. Maybe once in your life or so you do an Ironman just to see what it is like, just like maybe once in your life you have a crazy drunken Las Vegas weekend to see what it is like.
But to do these kinds of things constantly as a hobby? You don't do that for health.

I do long distance endurance sports because I like doing stupidly extreme things. That it would take a toll on my body was expected. But, to not put too fine a point on it, conception is a death sentence. I'd prefer to keel over at 60 remembering that time I tried to bike up a 2 mile 30 degree incline in 105 degree heat than keel over at 90 remembering those pleasant hikes in the park followed by sensible brown rice cakes.

(Not to judge if you prefer the latter... That's far more sensible!)

To do this kind of thing a lot you have to be at least a little crazy. And crazy is (often) fun. But it ain't usually heart healthy.

End of weirdo guy ranting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What are your thoughts on this? Rss Feed