Dallas Athletes Racing
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 20s
Overall Rank = 277/464
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 20/34
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, ate two slices of cinnamon toast and half a bagel with PB, drank a DDP. TSW up at 5:30, we're on the road by just after 6am. Race time was slated at 7:30 but, like last year, this is the first day of Daylight Savings Time so the sun wasn't actually rising until about 7:45am; they delayed the start by about 10 minutes. With a time trial pool start, that meant I didn't go off until almost an hour after the first swimmers (52 minutes to be exact).
Event warmup:

None. After getting transition set up, basically sat around the venue. A warm-up would have been essentially superfluous.
Swim
  • 09m 3s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Frustrated by this swim; had really hoped to kick butt on this but I ended up about 20 seconds slower than last year. Can't account for it. TSW watched the whole thing, said I never stopped, stroked and breathed pretty consistently throughout. I don't know, felt like I might've started out a little fast and my breathing became a little labored. I know I got passed by a couple, but I think I also passed a couple of swimmers myself. As a pool swim, it was pretty stress free.
What would you do differently?:

I had a plan for this but never actually followed it, ended up going out too fast. Settled more into the plan on later lengths but I think I was already moving slower by then.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Sat down to pull on my socks before heading out so this was pretty casual. So I'm pretty surprised by the time here; expected much slower.

Nothing, this was good. Race plan had no accommodations for transitions, wasn't going to worry about them. That I did fairly well was a pleasant surprise.
Bike
  • 44m 52s
  • 12.8 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall pleased with the bike. Forgot to wake up the power meter before starting, so i have no power info; would've been nice to have an idea how that measured out. Tried to ride steady, did incorporate one 15 minute harder effort into the overall ride; felt like I pushed pretty good during that. Given my run performance, though, I'm wondering if I pushed too hard here. Although none of the hills were particularly bad, they came one right after the other, and were long enough that they bled off the momentum of the preceding downhill pretty fast.

Happy with this bike. Am wondering, though, if my effort here burned too many candles that I needed on the run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Another reasonable transition. Did have to take time to tie my shoes, but everything went smoothly enough. Was interesting to be the first back to our rack off the bike....don't think I've ever arrived at my rack in T2 and been the only bike there.

Average transition for me; having to tie shoes added a few seconds.
Run
  • 32m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Poor run and worse than expected.. Think I did better last year on less training! Doesn't make sense. Maintained a pretty even pace throughout, even did a few harder effort intervals of 3-5 minutes in the second half, so really thought I'd do better. As mentioned previously, wonder if pushing too hard on bike impacted me here. Never felt extremely uncomfortable on the run, so that's worrisome. Couple of days after race I began to wonder if this is first indication of age catching up to me. Not yet ready to accept that.

Not sure. Need to evaluate how I do in my next race, which will be a bit shorter, see how I feel after that.
Post race
Warm down:

Sucked down a bottle of water, walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall conditioning, I suppose. Age maybe? I'd expected better results because I've been doing structured training for about five weeks now, compared to last year when I'd not even started anything beyond off-season maintenance.

Event comments:

DAR puts on a great race and this was no exception. Only hiccup is the late start resulting from Daylight Savings Time, forcing a delay in the swim. TT swim start, of course, means I don't go off until an hour or so after that.

Last updated: 2018-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:03 | 328 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 383/464
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Lane to lane pool swim in a 50m pool.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:52 | 12.8 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Overall: 207/464
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Two-loop, roughly rectangular, circuit through Keller's primary thoroughfare and some of its residential neighborhoods. One of the short sides was directly into the wind, the other, where we'd have had a tailwind is where the hills were, each pretty long and steady (although you could gain some ridiculous speed on the way down).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:52 | 03.1 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 347/464
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back on paved running trails through a park and adjoining neighborhoods, with odd artwork sprinkled throughout.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes