General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles for Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-08 1:06 PM

Subject: Goggles for Ironman
Looking for recommendations for goggles for my first Ironman... Ironman Wisconsin in September. I have Speedo Vanquishers now but they do not have enough padding for an IM length swim.

2018-04-09 8:48 AM
in reply to: Lavesper

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Goggles for Ironman
I use Aquasphere Kayenne's they work great. I wear contacts so I need a good seal. I've used from sprint to IM distance with no problems. They provide a wider field of vision than vanquishers as well. I use vanquishers in the pool also.
2018-04-09 1:51 PM

User image

Goggles do not have padding. They have a gasket which years ago was a sponge like material that may have seemed like padding. My guess is what you are wearing is either not a comfortable fit or you do not have enough time in them yet to get used to them ? “Swedes” or Swedish style goggles, what ever you want to call them these days, do not have any gasket and are just hard plastic. I’ve worn those for up to 4hrs in practice in HS but since they fit well never knew they were there. I’ve tried Vanquishers and For me they were hohum. I mostly wear speed sockets now but that’s another goggle that if it doesn’t fit well will bother you. My suggestion would be to try and find a local sporting goods store that might have a few brands in stock you can try. Or order from somewhere like swimoutlet that will let you return as long as you don’t wear them in the pool yet.
2018-04-09 3:24 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Goggles do tend to be personal as everyone's faces are differently shaped and one goggle that works for one person may not fit correctly for another.  That said, I'm a big fan of the Roka R1.

2018-04-09 3:54 PM

Welcome to the world of goggles.
They drive me nuts.

I've finally reached a stasis point and have a pair I can wear totally comfortably up to 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, I have another 45 minutes where they are reasonably comfortable.
After that, all bets are off.

Fortunately, I'm a decent swimmer and can do 2.4 miles in that window. And...I'm not likely to do 2.4 again anyway. Unless there's no deadline to meet and I intend on stopping on shore for water and a snack and a bit of a rest or something.
2018-04-09 4:33 PM

I've used Blue Seventy for almost 3 years and love them! I've tried so many different ones and was never really able to find one that worked for me. One day I was at the local tri shop buying a wetsuit when I saw the Blue Seventy goggles. I had no clue they made goggles but the package said they were made for open water. I asked the lady about them and she said she heard good things about them and if I didn't like them I could return them. I figured I had nothing to loose. They are very comfortable, don't fog, never had issues with leakage, they come in different tints, and are durable. I still have the original pair and I use them for the pool. I have 2 others I bought 2 years ago...one for sunny days and the other for cloudy days. I don't really know of any goggles that have padding...you want to look for ones that have a good seal and are comfortable.

Goggles are very individualized. What works for one person might not work for others. It might just be a matter of testing them out until you find the one that works for you.

Since you mentioned IMWI, whatever goggles you get make sure they have some tint, or at least have two pairs with different tints. I've done that race 3 times and the sun on the long straightaway can be bright!

2018-04-09 7:46 PM
in reply to: #5241198

User image

Goggles are a bit like saddles in that they fit everyone differently! I’ve tried several and have had good luck with the Roka’s as well, but what works for me might not work for you. Try a few different pair both in the pool and in open water. You’ll figure out what works for you pretty quick!
2018-04-10 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Zoggs has been my go to lately.

https://amzn.to/2EAjROJ

Podium
Fusion
Predator

They all work well and result in less racoon eyes after the lunch swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles for Ironman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

goggles leaking sometimes when swimming

Started by robertChiefsFan
Views: 3832 Posts: 17

2018-08-18 1:31 AM ARWilliamson

Open Water Goggle Lenses

Started by britz1784
Views: 1004 Posts: 5

2017-04-17 12:54 AM Trilogy

Chattanooga Ironman Full