General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed Suits For Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-09 8:31 AM

Subject: Speed Suits For Swimming
I consider myself and average to below average triathlete with performance and knowledge. I have been doing triathlons for only about 3 years so I am still learning a lot! I am running IM Texas on April 28th and have a concern with my speed suit during the swim. My average 100yd IM training pace in a speedo is 1:52. My average 100yd pace in my speed suit is 2:01 and I’m gassed! Am I wrong to think the purpose of a speed suit is to make you faster all around? IM Texas typically is not wetsuit legal so I’m all in to swim in my speed suit. Does anyone else have a speed issue in a speed suit?

2018-04-09 10:00 AM
in reply to: Embrace_endurence

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Speed Suits For Swimming

When you say speed suit, do you mean a swim skin that you take off after the swim or your "tri suit" that you bike and run with ?

A swim skin should make you faster

If that's not what you are using then consider one over your "tri suit".
2018-04-09 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Depends on the fit as well.

If it's loose anywhere, it will create more drag.

The purpose is to compress your body = super tight fit. Reduce your circumference to have less surface area going through the water.

If you are slower in the suit, something's up.
2018-04-10 8:04 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Errr....no! I am usually about 2-3 seconds per hundred faster in it. Your "speed suit" is too loose, and therefore a drag suit! It should be tight to the point where it is somewhat difficult to zip oneself into it, and wouldn't be something you'd ever consider wearing outside of a triathlon situation!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed Suits For Swimming Rss Feed