Other Resources The Political Joe » Gender Pay Gap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-10 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Gender Pay Gap
Evidently today is "Equal Pay Day". Go figure.

Here's a thought....all things being equal.....oh wait, all things are NEVER equal. Men and women are different! Men tend to be more aggressive and tend to toot their own horns more so than women. Compliment a man on a project and he will smile and tell you all the hard work and long hours he put in. Compliment a woman and she is more likely to say it was a team effort.

But there is more to it than that. Maybe companies what strong, assertive, aggressive men who are willing to put in 14 hr days and not have to pick the kids up from school. There are exceptions to everything but to deny that men and women are equal is disingenuous.

Happy Equal Pay Day!

2018-04-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Gender Pay Gap

Originally posted by Rogillio Evidently today is "Equal Pay Day". Go figure. Here's a thought....all things being equal.....oh wait, all things are NEVER equal. Men and women are different! Men tend to be more aggressive and tend to toot their own horns more so than women. Compliment a man on a project and he will smile and tell you all the hard work and long hours he put in. Compliment a woman and she is more likely to say it was a team effort. But there is more to it than that. Maybe companies what strong, assertive, aggressive men who are willing to put in 14 hr days and not have to pick the kids up from school. There are exceptions to everything but to deny that men and women are equal is disingenuous. Happy Equal Pay Day!

Bro - have another cup of coffee before you make another post LOL.......that one was tough.  Your 2nd to last sentence, after reading the rest of it, had me running for another cup.

2018-04-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

My career has cruised along the scenic byways and my position/pay reflects that.  

I could have taken "high visibility" assignments that required 60-70 hours per week (for years).  
I could have taken assignments that had me traveling 50-75% of the time.  

I opted for roles where I could be home most days for a family dinner, read bedtime stories, be a scout leader or soccer coach.  

No regrets.  

I've worked alongside female peers and in fact one of them became my boss.  She got frustrated being passed over, quit, got hired back with a promotion, and then promoted to supervisor. 

2018-04-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Rogillio Evidently today is "Equal Pay Day". Go figure. Here's a thought....all things being equal.....oh wait, all things are NEVER equal. Men and women are different! Men tend to be more aggressive and tend to toot their own horns more so than women. Compliment a man on a project and he will smile and tell you all the hard work and long hours he put in. Compliment a woman and she is more likely to say it was a team effort. But there is more to it than that. Maybe companies what strong, assertive, aggressive men who are willing to put in 14 hr days and not have to pick the kids up from school. There are exceptions to everything but to deny that men and women are NOT equal is disingenuous. Happy Equal Pay Day!

Bro - have another cup of coffee before you make another post LOL.......that one was tough.  Your 2nd to last sentence, after reading the rest of it, had me running for another cup.

Yeah, sometimes I'm like an Evinrude in a cesspool. There are many reasons men make more money and part of it is some men don't feel comfortable taking direction from women. Infamous male ego and all. I've worked for female engineering managers and one was the best manager I've ever had and the other one was the worst....she had 2 small children and was constantly having to leave work to go tend to a child. My wife and I both worked full time but she was the one who did most of the doctor calls. My daughter called me from home one time and said, "Daddy, I'm sick." I said, "I'm sorry honey, what do you want me to do?" She said, "Call Mama!"

Need.....more.....coffee......
2018-04-10 9:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by McFuzz

My career has cruised along the scenic byways and my position/pay reflects that.  

I could have taken "high visibility" assignments that required 60-70 hours per week (for years).  
I could have taken assignments that had me traveling 50-75% of the time.  

I opted for roles where I could be home most days for a family dinner, read bedtime stories, be a scout leader or soccer coach.  

No regrets.  

I've worked alongside female peers and in fact one of them became my boss.  She got frustrated being passed over, quit, got hired back with a promotion, and then promoted to supervisor. 

Same with me. I worked with a guy as a peer for a number of years. One Monday morning we were talking about what we did over the weekend. I told him the kids and I had gone camping at Wheeler State Park. He said he had built a 30 page presentation to present to management on how we should operate going forward. Within 5 years he was my boss. FF twenty years later he is a VP in the company......but he ended up getting divorced....presumably from all the 15 hr days climbing his way to the top.

When people ask me who I work for I tell them, "I work for my family". :-)

I always stayed very involved with our kids. The 'problem' came when my youngest went off to college. I was lost! I didn't know what to do with myself. Started getting depressed....not clinically depressed but melancholy. After 17 years of being a teetotaler I started drinking and eating like a pig to stave off the boredom. I don't have golf buddies, or poker buddied and just a few fishing buddies. I po'd one of my buddies from college several years back. My two best friends from college wanted me to join them on a whitewater rafting trip down the Ocoee....Class IV rapids. I told them I wanted my son to come along. They said no, they just wanted it to be the men.....I think my son was about 16. So they nixed the trip. No problem....my son and a buddy of his went by ourselves.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-04-10 9:22 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gender Pay Gap Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Celebs Erupt over Pay Disparity

Started by jmcconne
Views: 574 Posts: 14

2018-01-11 6:22 PM mdg2003