2018-04-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Working the land...
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Left Brain

Your geo guy doesn't know beavers.  I'm serious here.....when you are driving around your place in a truck, or on a tractor, or whenever.....have a rifle and kill any beavers you see.  If you don't, 2-4 years from now you won't recognize the work you're doing.  I'm going to hunt on my dad's place next week for a couple days on my way back North and I'll take some pictures of what they did to his road on top of his dam......absolute destruction .

interesting.  I have only seen them on my surveillance cameras at night.  I've never seen any during the day.
I saw that muskrat the other day which was the first one of them I've seen.

It's worse than you thought. Those nocturnal beavers are 'special forces' types sent in advance to probe weaknesses, map the land and lay the ground work for the actual invasion of regular daytime beavers.

Set up some tents, lay in provisions and be ready to pick us up at the airport. The first Annual BT Beaver Hunt needs to happen soon.

I volunteer to fly aerial recon in your Cirrus if needed.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-04-14 10:28 AM

2018-04-14 9:08 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by mdg2003

Originally posted by Oysterboy

Jeez guys, this is sounding a lot like the makings of a first annual BT beaver hunt. We all gather at Tony's property and help him get rid of the critters. Alcohol, firearms, and heated political discussions ... what could go wrong?

I'm in. I'll be the designated driver and the sober voice of reason for when the Jack and Fireball kicks in. Since I won't be bringing any booze, I'll put 3-4 pounds of bacon towards camp provisions.

Yeah, right.
2018-04-14 11:31 PM

User image

Pro

I'm damn sure in! 

I'll bring 50 lbs or so of tannerite and enough .223 ammo to kill all the beavers in North America.  If Tony has enough beavers, and we get enough beer to go with the explosives and ammo, I promise I won't even talk politics.....you guys can have at it.  I'll be good.

Oh.....and duck jerky. I'll bring a bunch.  I've been working on it all weekend since it's raining......it'll make you want to smack your mama. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-14 11:42 PM
2018-04-15 5:42 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
I’ll bring homegrown tomatoes and we can have BT sammiches
2018-04-15 9:27 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Tejas

Jeez guys, this is sounding a lot like the makings of a first annual BT beaver hunt. We all gather at Tony's property and help him get rid of the critters. Alcohol, firearms, and heated political discussions ... what could go wrong?

I'm in. I'll be the designated driver and the sober voice of reason for when the Jack and Fireball kicks in. Since I won't be bringing any booze, I'll put 3-4 pounds of bacon towards camp provisions.

Yeah, right.

Fair enough. Strike "the voice of reason."

And yeah Mike, fresh tomatoes would rock some BT sammies.

Renee, you coming to this thing too?
2018-04-15 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Yeah, right.

I think we need Tony to weigh in before we invite ourselves to raid his lake. :-)

Any fish in that lake? We could use the ICE practice of catch and release. Anyone know how to make a beaver tooth necklace?

2018-04-15 10:08 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Rogillio

Yeah, right.

What? He's practically begged us to come help. If a man asks for help, you help him.

I think we need Tony to weigh in before we invite ourselves to raid his lake. :-)

Any fish in that lake? We could use the ICE practice of catch and release. Anyone know how to make a beaver tooth necklace?

What? He's practically begged us to come help. If a man asks for your help, you help him. We might need to pull Lefty aside for an honest discussion about tannerite tho'

Edited by mdg2003 2018-04-15 10:10 AM
2018-04-15 10:39 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Yeah, right.

What? He's practically begged us to come help. If a man asks for help, you help him.

What? He's practically begged us to come help. If a man asks for your help, you help him. We might need to pull Lefty aside for an honest discussion about tannerite tho'

LOL. Love it. Amen brother! My way of thinking.

2018-04-15 11:22 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

I remember when Tony asked us to help him fly his airplane and nobody stepped up.  I don't want to see that happen to him again.

2018-04-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: #5241616

User image

Expert
Floriduh
We’re just trying to do Tony a neighborly favor, I really don’t think we need to seek his permission do we?
2018-04-15 3:31 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

haha, it's on and I think we can never have enough tannerite to aid in the venture.
There's lots of ducks, geese, fish, coyotes, deer, raccoons, and just about any other critters you can think of.

2018-04-15 3:57 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Alabama

haha, it's on and I think we can never have enough tannerite to aid in the venture.
There's lots of ducks, geese, fish, coyotes, deer, raccoons, and just about any other critters you can think of.

Ok then, other than duck jerky, BT sammiches and beer we live off the land.
2018-04-15 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Oh, wait a minute, Tony's land is in Iowa right? I'm not sure how I get there as flights from the coast, by design, only fly over Iowa. Maybe I can parachute in? I also need to check my immunization record, Iowa is a strange land.

Edited by Oysterboy 2018-04-15 5:42 PM
2018-04-15 6:03 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Oh, wait a minute, Tony's land is in Iowa right? I'm not sure how I get there as flights from the coast, by design, only fly over Iowa. Maybe I can parachute in? I also need to check my immunization record, Iowa is a strange land.

I thought Tony was in Nebraska. If it’s Iowa drive up to north Alabama and we can drive my badass Raptor in Iowa. If NE, I’d fly up.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-04-15 6:04 PM
2018-04-16 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Oh, wait a minute, Tony's land is in Iowa right? I'm not sure how I get there as flights from the coast, by design, only fly over Iowa. Maybe I can parachute in? I also need to check my immunization record, Iowa is a strange land.

I can confirm, it is a strange land

2018-04-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy Oh, wait a minute, Tony's land is in Iowa right? I'm not sure how I get there as flights from the coast, by design, only fly over Iowa. Maybe I can parachute in? I also need to check my immunization record, Iowa is a strange land.
I thought Tony was in Nebraska. If it’s Iowa drive up to north Alabama and we can drive my badass Raptor in Iowa. If NE, I’d fly up.

Currently live in Omaha suburb, but bought land in Iowa.  We'll be building there in the next year or two and moving out that way.  Originally grew up in Sioux City, IA as well.

2018-04-16 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Currently live in Omaha suburb, but bought land in Iowa.  We'll be building there in the next year or two and moving out that way.  Originally grew up in Sioux City, IA as well.

Maybe we can add a good ole fashion barn raising to the First Annual Beaver Hunt. Mike, add this to the agenda. :-)

I have a lot of respect for Nebraskans. My wife was a dry land wheat farmer's daughter and grew up on a farm in Western Nebraska between Chappell and Oshkosh. She and her two sisters attended a one-room school house until the 8th grade then went to HS in Chappell. Her older sisters graduated valedictorian and her younger one graduated salutatorian. I told her "I guess I got the dumb one?!" She hit me! She went to college at Kearny State....which is now U of NE at Kearny. She has the best work ethic of anyone I have ever met in my life.
2018-04-16 2:02 PM

User image

Pro

Dude - I'm not taking anything away from those girls and their accomplishments......but I just want to point out that they were valedictorians and such of one room school houses.....they may have been the only senior. LOL

I was not a great student......but if I was the only graduating senior I bet I could at least make a run at being valedictorian.... even if I wasn't a sure thing.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-16 2:04 PM
2018-04-16 3:41 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Blame Obama for the FDA not releasing a "Republican" vaccine.  

2018-04-16 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Dude - I'm not taking anything away from those girls and their accomplishments......but I just want to point out that they were valedictorians and such of one room school houses.....they may have been the only senior. LOL

I was not a great student......but if I was the only graduating senior I bet I could at least make a run at being valedictorian.... even if I wasn't a sure thing.

No, no. They went to a one-room school house till the 8th grade. After that they rode the bus into Chappell and went to a high school with several hundred students. My SIL said when she started school in the city school one of her teachers made a snide comment about the 'students joining us from the country schools might not be at the same level as the rest of you'....and oh that piszed her off. And is what probably propelled her to valedictorian. But mostly it was the work ethic they learned at home and also what and how they learned in the country school. I asked my wife how the teacher taught since they had about 12 students covering grades 1 thru 8. She said the teacher would say, "OK time for History. Everyone take out your history book and read chapter 7 and write a report" or directions like this. Obviously they all had different books unless they were in the same grade level. Subsequently my wife reads at the speed of light! She has a vocabulary that would put Mr Webster to shame. In 31 years of marriage I have only stumped her a few times on not knowing a word....but, to be fair, they we technical terms or obscure physics or science terms. She is wicked smart too.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-04-16 4:10 PM
2018-04-16 4:23 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by McFuzz

Blame Obama for the FDA not releasing a "Republican" vaccine.  

D@mn Obama

2018-04-16 8:18 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Went out there again today to throw some flags down where I'm cutting the road in.  If I don't kill myself in the process, it's going to be a kick butt driveway entrance.  It's about 50' from the top of the hill to the water.

I do have another advice question from a wildlife habitat standpoint.  This is the land area that I'm filling in for the driveway.  I plan to biuld it up another 4'-5' above the water but I'm considering taking it all the way out to the edge where the berms are sticking out of the water.  It's about 1' deep at the edge of the road and gradually goes to about 2' deep towards the berms.  I'm thinking that shallow water are would be really good for fish reproduction and other wildlife because one of the challenges with a quarry lake is very few true "shallow" areas for reproduction.
Anyways, I'm thinking about just leaving the shallows and building my road up where it's at.

2018-04-16 8:24 PM

User image

Pro

Where are the trees that the beavers are working on?  Without more pictures......I'd say that "berm" is actually the work of beavers....that could be the answer you've been looking for as to where they are/were working.  Those willows growing in the water behind the "berm" is another clue.  I'd lay odds that there is/was a lodge somewhere on the deep side of that "berm"....or maybe within it.  Get in a boat or put on some waders and check both sides of the "berm", for it's entire length, for beaver runs.....it'll look like a trough perpendicular to the "berm".  It looks to me that they have abandoned your lake as not suitable since there is no spillway to help them control the depth. ( if the depth is largely a product of the water table, as you say, that's WAY less than ideal for beavers)  Are the cut trees freshly cut or old cuts?

Edited by Left Brain 2018-04-16 8:34 PM
2018-04-16 9:37 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I did go out there on a boat last fall and they're definitely just dirt berms.  I was walking around them and checking them out pretty thoroughly.
There's definitely recent beaver activity because we come out on occasion and see a bunch of new trees cut down.  I've also seen their chubby little waddles on my security cameras at night.  I was just walking on the bank on the other side of the lake today by where the road was and for almost every tree there I saw a beaver chewed stump.

Here's a picture of a section of trees that they whacked last fall.  It's maybe 100 yards to the west of the dam area I'm filling in (with the berms).  As best I could tell they were dragging the trees to the north lake but I still didn't see anything and there's nothing for them to dam over there either.  The fence is our northern property boundary.

2018-04-17 7:15 AM

User image

Pro

That "berm" is the work of beavers......old abandoned work.  If that lake is a strip pit then that shallow area is the work of beavers.  I think they have probably moved on from your lake because they couldn't control the water.  It's hard to tell from the pics you have put up what they are up to now, but those tree cuttings are the work of beavers without question.

This could take more beer than I previously considered.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Working the land... Rss Feed  

of 3