GO Race Productions
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 9s
Overall Rank = 14/208
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/57
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Holiday inn 6 miles from the race. Got up at 6 am had a banana and pancakes and a coffee. Took 4 anti-fatigue caps and headed to the race. Siri took me to a closed gate so I was about 20 minutes later than I wanted to be but still had an hour before the race went off.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, rode 3 miles and swam 200 meters. Took a gu 15 minutes before race start.
Swim
  • 05m 14s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was about 20 seconds slower than I would have liked it to be. Dove into the water great but never found a good rhythm. Passed about 10 people from the college division that weren't good at swimming.
What would you do differently?:

I swam a semi-hard pool set on Friday before the race and my arms were tired. Note to self easy before races even if it is a short pool swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

better performance in T1 than previous but still getting owned by the specialized s-works tri shoe. I took a few extra seconds to put on socks which I normally do in T2 but with temps being 50F and no cold weather protection I took all the help I could get.

I need to learn the flying mount to make the shoes more efficient for me.
Bike
  • 27m 41s
  • 9.8 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was cut short 10 miles vice the normal 12 miles because of poor road conditions, that being said the road conditions were rough throughout the course. Combine that with the constant up and downs of the hilly course and the cold weather 50F at start time and I never could get my power up or heartrate into a rhythm. I rated the bike as BA because it was slower than I was hoping for, overall it was a good bike top 5% of competitors. Took a gu just prior to entering T2.

More time practicing hills. Bike fit.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

T2 was fast because I put my socks on in T1.

nothing
Run
  • 21m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt good and I stuck my HR in the low 170's to start with the plan to increase speed throughout. First mile my left heel was very sore, still battling PF on left foot and newton MV^2 that are nearing end of life probably aren't helping much. I was running hard and passing a lot of people but didn't quite run as fast as I would have liked (21 minute was goal) but again the run put me in the top 10% of competitors.

Different shoes
Post race
Warm down:

packed up transition and played with the kids while waiting for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

many things: weight still >190lbs, only 4 weeks of steady training, no training on hills, didn't bring cold weather gear to race, and PF in left foot.

Event comments:

Overall great support for the race, I love having a military division on a military base. For 2nd in military division I won a $25 Dick's gift certificate. The only complaint was they ran out of food post race.

Last updated: 2018-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:14 | 300 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/57
Overall: 23/208
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Lava Pants
Course: The swim is a 300 meter pool swim in the Fort Gordon Indoor 50m Pool. Participants start at one side of the pool and snake their way up and down each lane as they work towards the other side of the pool. The is 1 way traffic only in each lane, great for passing.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:27:41 | 9.8 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/57
Overall: 11/208
Performance: Below average
HR 169bpm, cadence 98rpm, estimated power 231watts https://www.strava.com/activities/1469028997
Wind:
Course: The bike course is a 10 mile loop. The course is rolling to hilly and takes place completely on the Fort Gordon base. The roads are open to traffic – but traffic is usually fairly light. (there are 2 substantial climbs which are not accurately described in the onsite description). The course was shortened for a 2nd year in a row due to bad road surfaces. https://www.relive.cc/view/1469028997
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 98
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:30 | 03.1 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/57
Overall: 22/208
avergae HR 173 bpm 1st mile - 6:58 - 175bpm 2nd mile - 6:47 - 179bpm 3rd mile - 6:46 - 180bpm https://www.strava.com/activities/1469029008
Course: The 5K run course is a single loop, nearly completely on the 3 mile running trail. The course is flat. The running trail is a mix of sections of sand, dirt, and clay; the sections were a mix of hard pack, loose, and quick sand. I felt that I was 20 seconds slower per mile based solely on the running terrain. https://www.relive.cc/view/1469029008
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes