Dallas Athletes Racing
32F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 49s
Overall Rank = 177/354
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed earlier than normal; no TSW with me this weekend, only her second, maybe third, missed event. Had a bagel and a DDP on race day at about 4:30, rested a bit more, took off. Had everything packed up the night before. Once on site, had plenty of time to park, walk over, and get everything organized. Not having TSW there as support personnel, I kept forgetting things like glasses and wallets needed to be left in my transition bag instead of carrying them to her. Worst part here was taking off my track pants and long sleeve shirt and exposing myself to the sub-32 degrees wind chill.
Event warmup:

Mingled with the other folks in my swim category. Did actually sit and pedal a recumbent bike up in the natatorium gym for about five minutes while waiting.
Swim
  • 07m 11s
  • 275 yards
  • 02m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Big difference from swimming in a 25 yard pool from a 50 yard pool at the race a few weeks ago. This was much more typical of my normal swim experience, so a pretty anticlimactic deal. While I'm still a little snobbish toward pool swim triathlons - there's really a whole other level of challenge to an open water swim - it's nice to not have that worrisome anxiety before the event starts. Got passed by the guy who jumped in behind me, but passed two other swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe swim that last length a little harder, but this was totally fine.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Longer than normal T1 since I had to struggle into a fleece bike jersey due to the cold; pulling fleece over wet skin is an exercise in frustration but it was cold enough I wouldn't have been comfortable without it. Put socks on too. Other people around me were putting on warm-up pants in addition to coats. Kid next to me, doing his first tri, actually put on a knee-length heavy parka for the bike.

If I'd been training without socks, I might've ditched putting those on. But given the temps, probably not.
Bike
  • 39m 8s
  • 11.4 miles
  • 17.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike ride; felt faster than results show and my Garmin indicated a distance of 11.4 miles, same as last year, so that's what I've recorded. Really cool moment making the first turn onto the main course after T1, I looked up and the clouds were hung in a dark line just above the horizon, which was aglow with a rosy hue. Nice start to the day. I jockeyed for a little bit with the guy who started just behind me in the swim, was keeping up fine without a huge effort, until he schooled me in the art of taking corners, carving through them like a high speed laser knife; I actually thought he was going to go down at the first corner. Amazing how much difference that can apparently make in your time. I think only one other person passed me. Got back to the rack in T2 and the only bike there belonged to Mr. Corner. I love being one of the first bikes back! Was glad to get off the bike too; for most of the second loop, cold as it was, I felt as if the tip of my privates, which hangs off the front of my bike saddle, was getting frostbit. Guess it was just saddle numbness aggravated by a wet trisuit and the cold, but it was nice to get that blood flowing again.

I seem to have peaked speed-wise on the bike, though. despite training efforts. Very frustrating.

Overall a pretty good ride, happy with the way I handled it. Just wish I could get faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Pretty good transition since I came in with bike shoes on the pedals and didn't have to tie shoes. Wasn't sure where the Run Out exit was, probably cost me 10 seconds or so.

Know all of the entrances and exits.
Run
  • 32m 12s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Another tough run; what's up with my running this year? Can't account for it. Lack of training is no excuse; I've been doing structured training for almost three months now, and wasn't goofing off prior to that. I know the annoyance of my knee is costing me to some extent but uI wouldn't think this much difference. It almost feels like I don't have the "wind" anymore, as if my cardio capacity is compromised. Again, can't account for it.

Don't know. Don't see the knee issue going away anytime soon, so that's going to be there. Keep running, keep pushing, maybe there'll come a breakthrough. Or maybe this is the new normal? Not ready to accept that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water, went to transition to start packing up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Longer transitions and what seems to be a compromised run leg, either because of my relatively recent knee issues, compromised endurance levels, and/or just plain getting older.

Event comments:

Short, fun race with a nice, uncrowded course that's close to home and a lot of fun to boot. Hard to beat.

Last updated: 2018-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:11 | 275 yards | 02m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 283/354
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snaking pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:08 | 11.4 miles | 17.48 mile/hr
Overall: 109/354
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop out and back with two horns with U-turns, through a warehouse area in Flower Mound. Nice roads, a couple of steady hills that bled off a lot of speed and gave the climbing muscles a decent workout.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:12 | 03.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 244/354
Performance: Below average
Course: Kind of an out and back with a bunch of little side loops; some minor slopes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes