General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this a shin splint? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-23 8:08 PM

User image

Subject: Is this a shin splint?
Been running for years, but this seems to crop up every year or two.

Last Thursday, I ran 6 miles with first and last mile warm up and cool down and the middle 4 miles at fast/5k pace. Inside leg (one closest to cars), but outside of shin was knotted up and tight during fast run. With the tight shin, it makes my foot feel like a flopping weight (I guess since my ankle is not moving as much?) After enough time during run (maybe 3-4 miles), pain will lightened and shin seems to loosen up.

Conversely, ran 7 miles today at Z1/Z2 on same course and no problem.

This has happened several times recently when running at fast pace and on different courses. Did a 10k in AZ 3 weeks ago and same issue entire race (ran at Z3/Z4). Slow run day before and day after had no issues.

Only other pain seems to be top of both feet between big and 1st toes (again when I run fast).

No other discomfort after run. I'm running on new shoes and same brand as I have for years (new model) with lots of cushion.

Seems like shin splints, but wouldn't that always hurt then?

2018-04-24 3:44 AM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Is this a shin splint?
I've had these in several longer races, usually late in the run on a hilly course. In my case there's no real pain until the following day, just extreme tightness of those muscles, usually on both sides. Makes it very difficult to run at any speed--I feel like I'm waddling. This actually happened in the final miles of 2 out of 3 of my fastest HIM runs (about 1:46-1:47); without them, the split would have been closer to 1:42 or 1:43. My guess is it's related to muscle fatigue/cramping. My understanding is that shin splints is pain due to microtears in those muscles, and it usually develops gradually over several weeks. Sudden onset during a hard workout or race is more likely cramping.

I've worked through a lot of possible culprits and solutions with my coach and never really gotten to the bottom of it. Here are some of the possibilities I've worked through. What you'd do about it would depend on the cause:

1.Leg muscle fatigue/tough bike course/ overcooking the bike for my fitness level (better taper, better pacing)

2. Mechanical imbalance or lack of flexibility (kicking with fins; sitting on your ankles for a while every day)

3. Electrolyte issues (but strangely, this usually happens to me in cooler races, not hot ones): Better hydration plan

4. Compensating for other pain or injury--in one case I had foot pain in an area similar to where you describe (Morton's neuroma plus possibly capsulitis or a stress reaction). I was probably modifying my stride and "braking" a bit to avoid putting pressure on toes that became very swollen and painful. That might have led to more pressure on my shins. Solution depends on the exact nature of the injury. For Morton's neuroma, it really helps to have shoes with a very roomy toe box, since your feet will swell considerably in a long race or workout and that puts more pressure on the already irritated nerve. You usually feel Morton's neuroma on the bottom of the foot between the big and first toes right where they join the ball of the foot, but maybe pain is referring or it is something else like a stress reaction or joint inflammation I(capsulitis)?

5. Running on different surfaces than you are used to. I do a lot of my summer running on grass/trails but most HIM runs are on pavement. The cramping has tended to hit me in late summer races--maybe I am running unnaturally to lessen the impact?

5. For me, general muscle tension from being cold on the swim and bike. I seem to cramp more in cold/cool races, including the shin muscle cramps. Basically, I avoid cold races when possible.

Maybe some of these would be useful?
2018-04-24 11:12 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Great info.

I had thought maybe a cramp, but it is such a odd muscle to try to stretch out (front of shin), I wasn't able to get much success.

Next time this happens, I will stop and maybe try a massage ball.
2018-04-24 6:37 PM
in reply to: scottficek

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You could try sitting (well, kneeling and then sitting back on your ankles) on your feet for a few minutes if this happened in a workout and there was a safe place to do it. I can't imagine that working in a race situation, though. If I sat down like that in the final miles of a HIM run, there is no way I would ever be able to get back up! There are some trigger points for that muscle if you can find them or get a massage therapist to help you. Hard to describe but they are up at the top of the shin, to the outside and just below the knee. Sometimes strong pressure on those can "unlock" the muscle. But done wrong, it can make things worse.

Another thing to look at might be your form when running hills. Don't know about the courses when this happened to you, but in my case it is always races with a hilly bike and run course. I'm guessing it's mainly a muscle fatigue issue (it's never happened in training and only hits me at a point in the race that's farther than I'd go on a long brick run) and maybe something to do (in my case) with pushing the downhills too aggressively on the run. Probably also related to the fact that I don't have hills to train on nine months a year. Then again, I could see how "braking" and running them easier might also lead to problems. Maybe something to experiment with.
2018-05-25 6:25 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Sarasota, Florida
It sounds like the only thing wrong with your shin is your tibialis anterior muscle is in spasm. This muscle originates along the length of your shinbone, it then crosses over your ankle and inserts into the long one of your arch. When it contracts it lifts the inside of your foot up off the ground. When it's tight it will give the same symptoms as shinsplints or even a stress fracture.

Runners who run on the outside of their foot will frequently have spasms in this muscle. Also, if you drive long distances, and if it’s happening in your right leg, it could be caused by the driving.

I’ve been working with endurance athletes for 29 years, and I’ve written several self-treatment books that have helped so many athletes. I suggest you try this: sit on the floor with your leg out in front of you. Put the heel of your opposite foot onto the very top of the hurt muscle. You’ll be just below your knee joint and on the outside of your shinbone. Then press down on your heel and run it all the way down the length of your leg. About 4”-6” down your leg you’ll come to a really tender point. Hold your heel there, pressing as deeply as possible. You can even try to “kneed” it out with your heel. That will force the hydrogen ions (H+) which are the acid part of lactic acid. Blood will fill the void and begin to heal the muscle fibers.

If you go on my Instagram site (@JulstroMethod) you’ll see pictures of doing this treatment, and pictures of kneeling on a ball to work deeply along the length of the muscle.

As for the top of your foot, this muscle could be a part of the problem, and there is another that is very likely involved. Try pressing your fingertip directly into the sore point, and then feel around for a real “hot spot.” That could be the spasm that is causing the problem.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.Julstro.com for logical explanations and advise about tight muscles and sports injuries.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this a shin splint? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I ready for open water?

Started by DaniD
Views: 1868 Posts: 23

2018-06-05 2:23 AM knuta99

Am I Ready??

Started by buckmaster
Views: 476 Posts: 4

2018-01-11 10:23 PM wenceslasz

5.10.17 I am 47 years young today!