General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Time Event Concerns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-23 9:22 PM

Subject: 1st Time Event Concerns
Hey Ya'll - I've got my first event coming up in May and since I've never done this before - I have the normal worries going through my head....but also - and maybe this is showing a subliminal distrust for people that I didn't know existed in my own mind....but I'm worried about my stuff getting stolen in the transition zone.

Is that a thing? Does that happen?

I'm going to the event by myself a couple hours from home and don't have anyone going with me. I'll need to leave my car keys, phone, etc...with my stuff in the transition area. Plus - you lay out all your gear - which is expensive.

Does your gear ever go missing?

Maybe I'm just making this up in my head. LOL

Should I be worried?

Edited by jpetrehn 2018-04-23 9:23 PM

2018-04-23 11:11 PM
in reply to: #5242187

Subject: RE: 1st Time Event Concerns
I had my first race on the weekend and had some of the same concerns. Needed to have phone handy and no bags were allowed to be left in transition. Ended up leaving my phone tucked in my run shoe to be out of sight and out of mind. Moved it to my bike shoe in T2.

There were a lot of people with much more expensive gear and kit in transition so I figured the risk of theft is very minimal. Also there was a certain degree of security as access to transition was only for athletes wearing a numbered wrist band.

I left my bag with some extra gear in it under a tree out of the transition area and nothing went missing.
2018-04-23 11:13 PM
in reply to: jpetrehn

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

This year will be my 8th season racing and I have never had a problem nor heard of anyone else having a problem in transition (theft wise).  I don't recommend leaving your phone and keys in transition just on principle.  Could you take a friend or family member with you or get a key made for your car and wear it around your neck if you have no one to go with you.  Then put everything in your car and lock it.  You only want the gear you need in transition and nothing extra.

I've never worried about my gear in transition except I don't leave my Garmin with my bike until race morning.  

Don't leave anything lying around outside of transition - for example - don't hang your wetsuit on a fence to drip for a while after a last swim then forget it because that might be too tempting.  

If you have a local Tri club maybe talk to some members for advice on transitions and gear placement at your bike.

Practice your transition set up and changing.  It will save you some free time.

Relax and have fun.

2018-04-24 6:30 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I raced tri from 1984 until just a few years ago, and in hundreds of events large and small, I've never lost anything. I've had the same concerns, especially with some events needing to have gear in transition overnight. It's always been just as I left it. Like others, I've had to stash a bag outside the T-zone, and again, no one has bothered any of it.

2018-04-24 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

My theft deterrent system in tri's follows what I do for my life...

1)  Don't have stuff other people want to take.
2)  Don't have stuff I can't afford to lose and replace.  

When I did my HIM in 2006, I wasn't worried anyone would take my 198X Raleigh and I joked exiting transition after the race that if I wanted to steal a bike, it wouldn't be this one! 

You could tuck your car key into the seat bag of your bike and have everything else locked in your car.  

I wouldn't tempt anyone with a cell phone, wallet, 18 key ring laying out in the open.  

Not to say gear never goes missing...but it's rare.  

2018-04-24 2:03 PM
in reply to: #5242189

It's a great question for this place that you won't find an answer to on the "how to" websites.

Never heard of issues. I never see grumblings in message boards.

As someone said...a little common sense won't hurt. The more common sense you bring to it, the less likely you'll lose or misplace something. I wouldn't bring a stack of $20s, but a couple bucks, car keys, ID and phone marginally discreetly tucked away shouldn't be an issue at all.

2018-04-24 8:11 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Ditto what everyone said. Be smart. Don't leave phones/keys/wallet out in the open. Can stuff get stolen? Of course, but I think it's pretty rare. I'm on triathlon/duathlon #40 and I haven't had anything stolen......yet.

I worry a lot less about my fellow competitors than I do some passerby just grabbing something off my bike or from my bag. For that reason, if the transition slots are not pre-assigned, I usually try to find a position away from the edges so some slimeball can't reach over the fencing and help themselves to my Garmin or gear bag.

Enjoy your race and focus on having a great experience!
2018-04-24 9:11 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

THANK YOU ALL for the info!

Yes - of course common sense comes into play! But you've given me good tips to think about and I appreciate it!

Sounds like a good track record without any gear going missing - that helps calm some of the concerns! I'll keep faith in the human race :-)

2018-05-01 12:09 PM

Originally posted by jpetrehn

THANK YOU ALL for the info!

Yes - of course common sense comes into play! But you've given me good tips to think about and I appreciate it!

Sounds like a good track record without any gear going missing - that helps calm some of the concerns! I'll keep faith in the human race :-)

Oh...stuff can go missing. Lost a pair of goggles in Louisville...mainly because I was all goggle eyed, distracted, amped up, excited, anxious to get on the bike, etc. I'm guessing a lot of sunglasses have gone missing over the years. Not because they were pinched.

That's again where common sense comes in to play. I keep the same stuff in the same place in my various bag pockets. That way, if I need to switch out sunglasses or something because of weather change...or maybe I need to grab a bandaid or something....I know what pocket it's in. And when I'm done with whatever I need, habit puts it back in the same place.

Have at least the makings of a plan that you've at least gone over in your mind (if not 'practiced'). For those who care to go faster, you'll go faster. For those who are neurotic like me, it just helps. Helps you not take off without your run belt. Helps you not lose things. Of course, I still have managed to do all the above.
2018-05-04 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Gear does go missing, even at IM events.

I only bring my keys into transition to get back into my car. USAT nationals I hid my keys since I did not want to leave them at gear check since they have the disclaimer they could lose it.

It's a sad part of the other side of the event that your fellow athlete may steal your gear.

I leave anything I'm not using for the race that's worth money in my car.
2018-05-12 9:54 PM

Thanks again everyone!! I completed my first ever Tri last Sunday 5/6 and had a blast. Such a rush! I had zero expectations other then I wanted to finish and instead I got 9th in my age group. None of my stuff went missing (even though I took WAY too much into transition) but I learned a lot and looking forward to my next one!!!

2018-05-12 9:54 PM

Thanks again everyone!! I completed my first ever Tri last Sunday 5/6 and had a blast. Such a rush! I had zero expectations other then I wanted to finish and instead I got 9th in my age group. None of my stuff went missing (even though I took WAY too much into transition) but I learned a lot and looking forward to my next one!!!
2018-05-13 2:42 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done!
2018-05-14 4:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
we are not allowed to leave bags or loose gear in Transition anymore... it's an ITU/Triathlon Canada rule.

Most races have a bag check and a few have lockers.
2018-05-15 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Congrats!!

I've never had anything stolen. I usually hang my wetsuit on the fencing and leave keys and phone in a small bag under my transition towel. I've been racing for 18 years, in Chicago and in Ohio, and nothing has ever been taken.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Time Event Concerns Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Good Idea/Bad Idea Events Before 'A' Race

Started by ponderingfox
Views: 1116 Posts: 16

2017-11-07 7:10 AM FranzZemen

Nutrition for long events

Started by bbarr66
Views: 731 Posts: 5

2017-07-31 9:45 AM ThomasGerlach ProTri

TRIATHLON EVENTS DURING THE SUMMER