General Discussion Triathlon Talk » seat question for women Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-25 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: seat question for women
Feel stupid writing this, but is there some secret for how to sit on a bike seat? Bought a women's bike (as I'm 5'1") from a LBS owned by friends. They spent a long time putting me on a contraption, took pics, meansurements, adjusted. Tranferred it to the bike, measured and adjusted. He picked out a seat for me based on factors I didn't get. So I trust it's set up right.
They did just add clip on aero bars and dropped the front of the seat down 1 degree.

So why is it so uncomfortable? Just switched from cycle shorts to tri shorts for training. Thought the chamois would be worse, but I don't think so. Am I supposed to sit back on my sit bones? Do I roll forward? That's painful to my "lady bits". I could roll forward more and rest on my pubic bone, that's okay for a while. The seat has a narrow cut-out but that doesn't seem to help much.

Just been on my trainer this year and just up to 1:45 minutes.

Is there a secret I dont know or do I just have to toughen up?

2018-04-26 11:31 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: seat question for women

The saddle can be a tough call, for either gender.  I use the Adamo on both my roadie and tri bikes, but it's a love it or hate it kind of saddle.  I recommend getting with your friends to see if they will let you try other saddles. It make take trying several before you find the one you like. Be patient. Yes, there is some "getting used" to a saddle but if you've tried it for several rides and still aren't comfortable you may need to try another.

2018-04-26 9:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Has it been uncomfortable since you got the saddle or just since you added the aero bars and they tilted the nose of the seat down? (Or am I reading this wrong and you got the seat and the aero bars at the same time?)
2018-04-26 11:01 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
No, I've had the seat for a while, aero bars are new. I see that it is an added issue. feel like I want the seat tilted down more, but he said that would lead me to slip down.

Not a new bike, can't remember if it always hurt and I've forgotten or if the discomfort goes away. I been riding on a trainer for months, that might make the difference.
2018-04-27 12:24 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For aero position, you roll forward and more weight is on the public bones. It does take some getting used to. I also have an Adamo saddle and it took a few weeks to get used to. But if it's been 3-4 weeks and still not working out, I would go back to the fitter and check out your fit and saddle.
2018-04-27 1:15 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Unclear if aero position is new to you. If so, it takes more time to get used to. Also, if the fit was done with riding in aero in mind, it may not necessarily be comfortable when you are sitting up. My tri bike feels great in aero; not so much sitting up. I don't think I'd ever choose to do a long group ride or bike tour with it without some major tweaks in the fit. Ditto if you have had a fit with a road bike and aerobars--it's my understanding that the fit is done to optimize comfort/efficiency in one position or the other, not a compromise position that is sort of okay with both. If you did the fit for aero position, then it might feel awkward out of aero, and vice versa.

2018-04-28 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Had professional fit.
Feel like I want to sit toward back of seat, roll back onto sits bones. Is that intuitively correct or all wrong for an aero position. Am I overthinking how I sit or is there a right way to do it.
2018-04-28 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No, that is wrong for aero position. I think you need to see the fitter again.
2018-04-29 11:07 AM
in reply to: #5242314

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
It's not about the fit. I'm not forced to do that, I'm trying to figure out if I should. I could roll back, it's an effort, but am I supposed to sit on sits bone. Sitting on tip of seat is obviously painful. On center of seat should i roll forward, how far. Just want to avoid spending time in a bad position hoping for comfort. Guess I should just stick with neutral position that crunches "lady bits".
2018-04-29 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

It's not about the fit. I'm not forced to do that, I'm trying to figure out if I should. I could roll back, it's an effort, but am I supposed to sit on sits bone. Sitting on tip of seat is obviously painful. On center of seat should i roll forward, how far. Just want to avoid spending time in a bad position hoping for comfort. Guess I should just stick with neutral position that crunches "lady bits".

It's all about the fit.

Your seat type, position (foreward/back) and tilt should allow your to rotate your pelvis and not be on your sit bone. Proper seating position is one of the most critical parts of the fit process.

Speak to your fitter and maybe give someone like Cobb a call to help select the right saddle.

2018-04-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: #5242475

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I give up. The saddle does not lock you into place. There is the ability to move, to make adjustments.

2018-04-29 6:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes but....it sounds like the seat isn't allowing you to get into a comfortable position. My guess is it's either somehow wrong for your anatomy, or something about the tilt needs to be adjusted. I remember I did something with that myself at one point because what the fitter had done seemed somehow wrong. Sometimes I wonder if male fitters really get that part! He had also set up the aerobars so close together that even after several weeks I felt like it was compromising my control of the bike in windy conditions. I think sometimes fitters aim for the most aero position without realizing that may not be doable or safe for many riders.

Or maybe it's the saddle itself-- I must have tried six saddles before I found one that worked, and technically, it's a "men's" saddle. Maybe some of it also comes with experience riding in aero--my coach looked at my position several times and kept saying I needed to roll forward more, but it took me months to work out exactly what she meant and how to do it comfortably. I guess one disadvantage to having an online coach!

One last thing--at least for me, my tri bike is far more comfortable in tri shorts. Most are designed to be used on a tri bike in aero. Normal bike shorts work better in a sitting up, road bike position. Shorts might be part of the issue as well.
2018-04-29 8:48 PM

User image

Bronze member

Another thing to consider, if I understand your OP correctly, you've only been on the trainer so far with this new position/saddle? Are you getting up off the seat at all during your trainer rides?  I find aero position on my tri bike on the trainer to be very uncomfortable but I prefer the tri bike on the road. I have an older road bike for trainer rides and personally I move around A LOT when I'm on the trainer. I'll get up off the seat for short intervals or move forward or backward on the seat according to what part of my anatomy is feeling discomfort.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » seat question for women Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Seat / bike in general question

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 718 Posts: 1

2017-07-07 9:23 AM Sleepyluke

Seat issues - road bike attempting to do tris

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 883 Posts: 8

2017-06-29 10:30 AM Sleepyluke

New Here- Tri Training Group Questions