General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do today? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-28 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: What to do today?
8 weeks out from a HIM I'm not ready for. Ending a recovery week, took yesterday and today off (at 58 in always just ahead of some pain that will throw me off). Hate swimming but probably should swim today. Would rather do some strength training which I have neglected. What do you think?

2018-04-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: #5242450

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: What to do today?
7 weeks. Is it time to give up this race? There is probably anther one this Summer, but this one is flat.
2018-04-28 9:28 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite

If you've put the time in already, 7 weeks is plenty of time left.  I guess my question is do you really want to do the HIM?  As far as today goes, a swim workout would be the best bet since you're training for a HIM.  From your post though it doesn't seem that your heart is in this race.  I think you need to decide why you're doing the race and if you have no why your motivation to train over these next 7 weeks is going to be a struggle.

2018-04-28 12:38 PM
in reply to: #5242451

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
What you've hearing is concern that I wont be able to do it (and that I hate swimming, but that's what makes tris special).
My plan is time based and I realized that it thinks I'm going farther than I am in the allotted time. If i speed up, and take walking breaks, i dont count the walking time toward my training, but at a race it would be part of my total time. Would i make the cut-offs.
Also, just been on my trainer and no matter how hard I work it always says I'm at 8mph. Guess it's time to hit the road.
I really want this. My teenage kids are so proud of me just watching me train and it means a lot to me.
Maybe I'm not seeing how much I can accomplish in 7 weeks. I have a decent base and I can work really hard. Need to swim more and i can add a short bike session focused on technique...
2018-04-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by MuscleMomma

What you've hearing is concern that I wont be able to do it (and that I hate swimming, but that's what makes tris special).
My plan is time based and I realized that it thinks I'm going farther than I am in the allotted time. If i speed up, and take walking breaks, i dont count the walking time toward my training, but at a race it would be part of my total time. Would i make the cut-offs.
Also, just been on my trainer and no matter how hard I work it always says I'm at 8mph. Guess it's time to hit the road.
I really want this. My teenage kids are so proud of me just watching me train and it means a lot to me.
Maybe I'm not seeing how much I can accomplish in 7 weeks. I have a decent base and I can work really hard. Need to swim more and i can add a short bike session focused on technique...

There is nothing sacred about any race. My attitude is whatever your goal be it fast, slow or in between, prepare so you can go in confident. If not, don't go to the starting line. The swim is the smallest time segment of the HIM. Nonetheless, it's a challenge. Before starting, I would really want to KNOW that you can complete the swim and still have the fitness capacity for a 56 mile bike ride and a 13 mile run.

Given the limited info above, it's probably worth carefully reviewing whether you can make the time cuts. Let's run through one example. You say your swim training isn't where you want it. So, let's give you a 55 minute swim. That's about a 2:40/100 pace to hit around 55 minutes. Can you maintain a 2:40 pace for 2000 yards? If we give you 5 minutes to make the transition, you'll to maintain 11-12 mph on the bike to make the 5:30 cutoff. Granted, trainer rides are harder than a flat course, but you'll need to collect some data out on the road to determine if your fitness supports that speed. Another 5 minutes in transition, you'll need to run a roughly a 2:47 half marathon...or about a 12:45 per mile pace to hit the final 8:30 race finish cutoff time. Assuming to make the cutoffs for the swim and bike, maintaining an average 12:45 pace won't allow you much walking time on run.

You've got seven weeks. A lot of fitness can be gained in that time. But you should closely watch your training paces to determine if you can reasonable expect to race the full distance FASTER than the paces listed above. If not, there is no shame in re-scheduling another HIM a bit farther out that gives you more time to establish a better fitness base.

Good luck.
2018-04-28 4:00 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
That's very helpful, thank you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do today? Rss Feed