General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about running form Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-04-30 4:39 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: Talk to me about running form

So...I have a friend from college that is starting a virtual running club on facebook.  I don't think she did track in high school or has ever been coached, but remember when she did a full marathon with her sister when we were in college.  Her little sister finished in about 4 hours flat and she was 10-15 minutes behind her sister.  That was 20 years ago.  She qualified for Boston last year with a 3:15 time, which I was really impressed with, and I figured she had done about 30 or more marathons be now.  I talked to her before see left for Boston and she said that her 3:15 BQ was just her 2nd marathons.  Her 3:25 at Boston was just her 3rd. 

So now that she has done Boston she is a running expert and has a $50 membership to join her virtual FB running club.  One of the benefits that she listed for the membership is tips on running form. 

I have had a different running coach about every year from the time I was 8 to the time I was 19 years old through multiple USAT club teams, multiple schools cross country teams, and multiple school track teams from elementary to college. 

I can remember very very few tips that coaches ever gave on running form.  About the only two things I can remember the coaches yelling at me while I was running was 1) run faster and 2) stay relaxed.

I can defiantly recognize bad form when I see people hunched over, or when I see people moving in awkward motions.  I basically feel that speed work corrects bad form.  When people speed up the hand come up the shoulders go back and the awkward movements smooth out. Is that over simplifying it?   What tips besides "run faster" and "relax" do you feel need to be covered on running form? 

2018-04-30 5:09 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Talk to me about running form

The one that comes to mind for me is planting the foot underneath (not out in front of) the knee.  This was a tip I got from an ultra runner when I complained about knee issues.  Apparently, I was over-striding and the resultant heel strike was jarring my knee.

2018-04-30 5:40 PM
in reply to: #5242578

User image

Unless I had trouble with recurrent injuries, I wouldn’t be looking to change my running form too much. I think mainting posture is the biggest thing. Keeping a “tall” posture late in runs is important. Simple core strengthening (remember the hips are considered part of your core) is usually enough for most folks.

Now if you are chronically dealing with injuries then I would start thinking about form. And honestly most running injuries come from too much, too soon. If you stilI feel your form needs work then I would seek out someone with a background in biomechanics and kinesiology. Just because someone qualified for Boston doesn’t make them qualified to address your running form. Maybe this person does have a background in biomechanics, I wouldn’t know. I’m just very cautious when I see people offering running form as part of their package.

I work in physical rehabilitation as a therapist and would recommend Jay Dicharry’s Anatomy for Runners if you want an easy to read resource. It offers some very good insight and exercises to reduce injury risk.
2018-05-01 12:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Read this a long time ago from a very prolific track coach: Do what is natural, as long as it's biomechanically sound. And if not, do what's biomechanically sound until it becomes natural.

I revamped my running form a long time ago, but it was in response to injuries. Yes, I'm out of the game now due to some congenital foot issues (had surgery in my left foot in '07, not wanting to end up with the same in my right), but at the time it helped me tremendously. If you don't have the issues, there isn't a need to make changes.

Of course, there's none so avid as a new convert. I'd avoid this "club" like the plague.

Edited by briderdt 2018-05-01 12:42 PM
2018-05-01 12:54 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro

There is not a single person reading her web site who needs advice from her, or anyone else, about running form. LOL

2018-05-01 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Hmmm... speeding up on bad form sounds like a recipe for disaster, injuries, etc.

My main points:
Lean at the ankles.
Head in neutral position.
Push off, elongating the push off leg to really engage the glutes.
Hands inside elbows on arm swing, and don't let the hands cross center line of the body.

Tons of other tips, but those are my top.

2018-05-02 10:51 AM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by TriJayhawkRyan Hmmm... speeding up on bad form sounds like a recipe for disaster, injuries, etc. My main points: Lean at the ankles. Head in neutral position. Push off, elongating the push off leg to really engage the glutes. Hands inside elbows on arm swing, and don't let the hands cross center line of the body. Tons of other tips, but those are my top.

Have you ever seen anyone do a 20 x 200m repeat workout? It was one of my favorite workouts in college.  It is very safe. 

If you can do your 90 minute runs at a slower pace using the same form as you do for the 200m repeats you are not going to injure yourself.  You have to do things better when you are doing speed work.  Your mind might not know what good form is but you body knows what adjustments it has to make to go faster.  I am not a kinesiologist but I think that if you can zero in on what adjustments your body is making to go faster that you can learn what you need to do to improve your form.    Running at 10 min/mi pace you can do a lot of things sloppy.  Running at 4 min/mi pace you can't.  

2018-05-02 4:10 PM

User image

It's easier to correct bad running form than to teach good running form. If you're interested in improving your form, I would suggest seeing a coach who could watch you run and pick out your inefficiencies.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about running form Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running route or running groups in Princeville, Kauai Hawaii

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 658 Posts: 1

2018-01-14 10:46 AM canadarn2001

Treadmill form

Started by chunta
Views: 562 Posts: 1

2017-11-10 6:47 PM chunta

To run or not to run?