General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie clothing question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-10 9:30 PM

Subject: Newbie clothing question
Hello All, first tri coming up in june, a sprint, and I need some basics to go over my birthday suit. Any advise on trisuit vs. short/jersey? What about brands, I see SLS3 all over amazon, looks decent but what do I know? Thanks in advance for your comments!

—new guy

2018-05-10 10:15 PM
in reply to: #5243129

User image

Franklin, TN
Subject: RE: Newbie clothing question
I've seen the SL3 brand advertised but I don't know anything about it. When I first got started I bought a Tri short and top from Zoot. Reasonably priced and it performed well. I still use the shorts for cycling. I just bought a one piece suit from Kiwami and I love it...not cheap though unless you find one of their suits on sale or close out.
2018-05-11 6:42 AM
in reply to: jstoddaj

User image

I am pretty new to this sport as well, and pretty cheap also. That said I use a pair of tri shorts (by Aerotech Designs) and a T shirt. I think I am on my third pair (in about 3 years) of shorts as the chlorine wears them out. I pretty much don't wear them in pools anymore, so this last pair has lasted a bit longer.

J White
2018-05-11 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I did well with a few pair of DeSoto tri shorts and a couple of their tri tops. I've never been a fan of the idea of a tri suit, and in my bike racing days always had fit issues with skinsuits. YMMV of course.

And just as an aside for swimming, for pool training, I found the best endurance out of polyester suits from Dolfin (though there are many brands of similar suits, examples below). I'd get at least twice the life out of these than I would any nylon/lycra suit. Save the tri shorts.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/tyr-durafast-elite-solid-jammer-swimsuit-42137/?color=9343

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/dolfin-poly-solid-jammer-swimsuit-3345/?color=9748

2018-05-11 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

What are you training in today?  

You need something you can swim-bike-run in.  For my first 2 tri's, that was a pair of swim trunks, add a t-shirt and running shoes after the swim.  

Try riding and running in what you swim in.  If it works, you don't *HAVE* to get anything else.  (Psst...try both while your swimsuit is wet too, it may be different).  

If you choose to get something else, get it early enough to train in it some.  One piece (trisuit) versus two piece (tri shorts and a top) is as much about personal preference as anything else.  

2018-05-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #5243130

Thanks everyone for the info. It seems like everything else, sometimes you have to jump in and tri it out. I will check out some of these links and different brands. Thanks again!

2018-05-11 4:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'd recommend two pieces. I had to stop and pee in a one piece and almost had to leave the race, I couldn't get the damn wet trisuit back up.
2018-05-12 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I wouldn't go with a short/jersey and especially not if it is a sprint. They are slow compared to a one-piece aerodynamically speaking. For your first tri no big deal, but everyone likes to finish as fast as possible. I have seen the SLS3 at races and seem to be just fine to me. If going with SLS3 this one-piece sleeveless looks like a great choice: https://amzn.to/2rCVbS3
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie clothing question Rss Feed