General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer setup...cheap-ish Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-17 10:57 AM

Subject: Indoor trainer setup...cheap-ish
Wondering if any of you have any advice on indoor trainer setup that wont break the bank.
Currently Im riding a mountain (or maybe its a hybrid)bike that was given to me (yay free!), have an android tablet and an Asus tablet thats several years old.
Im looking to setup something not too expensive, just something I can use with the rainy season coming up. Im overwhelmed with so many options, and Im not so technically inclined. Id like to use zwift or another similar cycling app with it.

Suggestions???

2018-05-17 11:31 AM
in reply to: Gforcemama18

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Indoor trainer setup...cheap-ish

It sounds like you're looking for a smart trainer? You may have already ran across this, but DC Rainmaker's reviews are worth reading - there is a "budget trainer" section that might be useful.

Personally I went with the Tacx Vortex as I wanted a trainer that would automatically change resistance when paired with a TrainerRoad or Zwift type of app. The Vortex is one of Tacx's lower end trainers but does have the resistance feature. I bought mine "new" ( it was a return at a bike shop) off of eBay for around $400. 

2018-05-17 1:41 PM

A Tacx Satori would be a good inexpensive choice, it is under $300 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMPU5CO/ref=od_aui_detailpages0...

It is not a true smart trainer, it only broadcast watts, it does not change resistance automatically (it can be done manually). It is also duel band (BLE and ANT+).
2018-05-17 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Rollers start at about $100, and since you're balancing, trying to stay on them, etc. you won't get bored!  

Indoor trainers can be air resistance (you turn a fan that moves air), fluid (you turn an impeller that pushes fluid through a restriction), or magnetic (you turn a magnet inside an electric field).  Air trainers can be noisy.  The other two types are quieter because they convert the energy into heat one way or another.  

If you're trying to tap into the data to use your computer/tablet, you're probably looking at a mag trainer.  If you're not so technically inclined, you're probably looking for something "ready to use" rather than cobble it together like the Professor on Gilligan's Island.  

Indoor riding isn't like outdoor riding.  I generally just translate trainer time by my average outdoor pace from the previous year to get an approximate distance.  My HRM quit working...5 years ago?? if that tells you how much I rely on technology for training.  

2018-05-18 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I believe for Zwift you need a computer, not just a tablet. Any cheapie laptop from Target or Walmart should work and ant ANT dongle. Good to go.

https://amzn.to/2KBkuea
2018-05-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5243391

Thanks everyone for your replies.
I ended up choosing a cycleops magnus. It was 479 on amazon. I felt like a real smart trainer would be more enjoyable with zwift, as Im hoping to get my husband and kids using it as well when we cant get outside.
I also bought the ant + dongle amd cord to connect my computer, and hopefully can connect the laptop to my tv without too much trouble.

And as for the roller option instead of a trainer.....
I have a 7 year old, 5 year old and 8 month old constantly breaking my concentration, so I figured that would be a dangerous choice! ??

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer setup...cheap-ish Rss Feed