Cellcom Green Bay Marathon
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 1s
Overall Rank = 994/2629
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 24/108
Pre-race routine:

Saturday morning we watched Ross lose his 2 Conference tennis matches at Nielsen, got home around 1:45, had to eat lunch (grabbed Taco Bell bean burrito and crunchy taco on the way home), get packed and go. Left the house around 2:30. David drove, his heel was still very sore but no more redness and minimal drainage. middle stitches came out. Arrived at Lambeau around 4:30 so went to get our race packets (after taking yearly photo at Cellcom booth--they don't give photos anymore, just backdrops and props). David bought gels for his shoes and we took a ton of applesauce packs. Walked over to Hinterland Brewery (had parked there) to meet Dave, Dennis, Barb, her 2 daughters Anna and ?, and the 2 Jennys. Had a beer then had to get to our 6pm reservation at Grazies. Got seated in a booth right away. Marissa was going to join us but her BF Brandon came along so they did their own thing. Got the same as last year--small spicy garlic with marinara on the side. House salad w ranch on the side. Just water to drink. David got a sirloin steak. w potato soup and veggies. Awesome meal! Had to take home some pasta and D;s veggies. Went to Hotel J to get checked in. Got the room for $54 using expedia points. Very thin walls, could hear every noise. Did some texting/emails while David napped, was able to poo, then went to bed at 9, but couldn't sleep cuz of all the noisy people. At midnight I turned on the air purifier for white noise which then kept David up. Plus it was too warm for be w blanket, sl cool w just sheet. Yeesh!
Event warmup:

Set alarm for 5:51am, got dressed but wasn't sure what to wear--42 degrees w wind to 15mph from NNE. Settled on Red High Cliff ss shirt w blue cheapo jacket over it, and blue windbreaker over that until start time (gave to David). Went to breakfast bar (6-9) which had waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, muffins, biscuits/gravy, hash browns (David ate all that) but I ate leftover Kodiak waffles with PB and a strawberry banana yogurt they had there. (1 whole waffle). More poo! Drove to Lambeau (we were 5miles away) and ended up parking in the Kohler lodge parking lot right across the street. David had his Gary Fischer bike so he assembled that and rode that over at 7:20 and waited inside Lambeau until 7:53 to get in the corral. Took an orange Hammer Gel at 7;30. I was in C, the 2:00 pacer was in B. So much for that option. Took a good 5 min to get to the start line after gun time, was very cold without the windbreaker (esp during the star spangled banner). Hands were frozen/numb, never thought to grab gloves, and ears were cold. Once I got jogging (very congested that first mile) my core warmed up, but hands didn't warm until probably mile 3. David rode his bike with me the whole way.
Run
  • 2h 04m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out packed in for the first mile, it was probably good cuz I def would have gone out faster. Legs felt really heavy and quads were barkin around mile 5-6 so not sure what that was about. Mile 8 was an uphill and took Gu, walked thru water stop which gave me my second wind. Felt really good after that until the huge hill at mile 10 which slowed me down. Had my 3rd Gu and sent David to ride ahead into Lambeau to get photos. The 3:10 marathon pacers came into lambeau when I did. Took my jacket off in Lambeau and tied it around my waist, handed it to David when I ran by him. He cheered right before the finish line, and rode along side as I went thru the chute. No mylar this year, so very cold.
What would you do differently?:

Well first of all, I would have run the full. But because I am rehabbing my right heel, I switched to the half (much to my PT's chagrin). I took off from running for 2 mos and had only done 1 10-miler before this, so running more and farther would have helped. Plus, everything I did was on a treadmill. Just ran that 1 mile outside on Friday between Ross' tennis matches.
Post race
Warm down:

We pretty much went right to the car and back to the hotel to shower before the 11:00 checkout (they wanted $29 for noon checkout). Went back to Lambeau, parked in our same spot at Kohler lodge, and got our beers and brats. Ran into Dave and Dennis then Barb and her daughters--Dave got 4:36 and Dennis 3:56. Barb and Anna 2:15 so everyone was happy. Never found the Jennys. Drove home, got Drew culver's on our way in, and here I am!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See "differently" above. Heel injury is main thing. Felt fine during the race, never even thought about it other than trying to stay up on my toes more (think pose method) and was fine right after, but now that I'm home it's burning like crazy at the base of the heel/achilles insertion. Sole not as bad as I expected.

Event comments:

This is always a favorite--our Go-to for the last 11 years. The weather can be a total B but I like the 'flat' course. First time doing the half, course is fine. Lambeau is always a cool distraction at the end. Gotta love the beer and brats too. Band was Ok.

Last updated: 2018-05-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:04:01 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/108
Overall: 994/2629
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:20:20 Mile 2: 9:10:76 (18:30) Mile 3: 9:08:97 (27:39) took Gu approx 3.2mi Mile 4: 9:17:82 (36:57) Mile 5: 9:25:44 (46:23) Mile 6: 9:31:00 (55:54) Mile 7: 9:29:95 (1:05:24) Gu at mi 7.8 Mile 8: 10:10:35 (1:15:34)--had taken a Gu and walked a lot thru stop Mile 9; 9:09:83 (1:24:44)--Gu really perked me up, plus downhill here Mile 10: 9:27:10 (1:34:11) Mile 11: 9:47:32 (1:43:59) big uphill after mile 10. Took a Gu too 11.7 Mile 12: 9:29:95 (1:53:29) Mile 13.1 10:32.30 (2:04;01) watch matched clock exactly
Course: I've never run the half in Green Bay so had no idea where the course would go. We made a lot of turns in the neighborhood for a while, then got out to a big green space that was very windy/cool (glad I still had on my jacket), then back into neighborhood to Lambeau. Had Vanilla Gu, took around miles 4, 8, and 12. Skipped the first 2 water stops and a couple more since it was so chilly and I didn't think I was sweating too much.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes