Kansas City Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 7s
Overall Rank = 34/291
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 5/36
Pre-race routine:

I wanted to get to the race early to take care of my packet pickup while also avoid the lines of people who, like me, decided to pick on race day. Since I've never been good at eating solid food on race morning I opted to wake-up, dress, and then drink my breakfast on the way to Longview Lake. I had two bottles of Bolthouse Farms, one a breakfast smoothie and the other of some kind of mango-protein flavor. I was a little iffy on not having something solid sitting in my stomach to digest more slowly for the two hours prior to race start, but this ended up working fine for an Olympic race.
Event warmup:

Easy swim to get acclimated to the water temps. Initially it felt very cold, but it ended up being the perfect swim temperature.
Swim
  • 25m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

A solid swim. There was not too much of a battle up front during the start. I thought I was sitting in second in my age group after those first few 100 yards, but upon exiting for my first lap I heard an Ultramax worker radio out that the first white cap (me) was out of the water - which kinda surprised me

When I went back into the water the depth was at an in between level - too high to quickly walk, run or high step through, but not quite deep enough to swim. Well, I swam anyway. After a few strokes my hand was scraping sand. I was passing people who were walking and, truthfully, I should've opted to walk as well. But I felt like I had to stay committed to swimming since everyone around me saw me commit. So I kept swimming.

On the second lap I was found by the guy I thought was leading our AG. He provided me with a nice draft that I was actually able to hold on to. But after rounding a buoy there was just way too much lap traffic and I lost my guide through the chaos. After too much zig zagging around swimmers I finally emerged from the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I'll rate this as good because my heart didn't feel like jumping out of my chest on the way to T1 and my wetsuit came off very easily.

6/36
53/291
Bike
  • 1h 09m 1s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 21.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Not much to say here but I will note a few things:
Not a much wind, but some to keep speeds down on the straight away south-bound run.
Despite my recent bike tune-up my gear shifting sucked. Actual shifting kept getting stuck in between gear levels.
The two or three hills right after the north to south turn around was brutal and slow.
Overall it was a lonely ride. Not much traffic or competition around me the entire ride. Still I was pleased with the time and speed I was able to put together.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

IDK, at dismount I wasn't feeling confident about a flying dismount, so I did a stop and slow step off. I did the same thing last year during my first race of the year. I need to be better about doing some practice dismounts before a race.

5/36
39/291
Run
  • 48m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I love being free of my bike and able to run, but today running was not feeling so awesome. Soon after starting I could feel the heat coming off my skin which I tried to cool by dumping water on my skin at the aid stations. But what really summarizes this run is one single question that sat in my head the whole time, which was, "can we please walk now!?"

I was not having a fun time. I was in pain. I kept stringing my mind along saying "we'll totally walk, let's just make it to mile marker 2 then we can." After that my mind again asked if we walk, but I then reasoned that we should totally keep running so that we could say that we didn't walk the first lap, and my mind agreed, so we kept running. Once the first lap was done my mid asked if we could walk, and said "no, there are lots of spectators cheering up ahead and it would be totally embarrassing if we had to walk" and it agreed. Finally, at the only real "hill" of the course, at mile four I relented and walked it, and boy did it feel good to. At the top I started to get going again, but once you get a taste of walking your body wants to do it again. However, I resisted the temptation and the hard sales job my mind was trying to put on me and walk more. I allowed myself to slow down, but not walk, although that slow Felt awfully slow. The run overall was much slower than anticipated but me and my mind finished.
What would you do differently?:

It was either the lack of heat adaptation or I'm just getting older (or both) but I was almost 8 minutes off my best run course time.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade of a food truck and drank water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics

Event comments:

Another good Ultramax race. I was pretty glad to see Mark Livesay down from Montana to do the race announcing.

Last updated: 2018-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:07 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/36
Overall: 22/291
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-Sleeved
Course: Two lap, clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:01 | 24.86 miles | 21.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/36
Overall: 48/291
Wind: Little
Course: Two lap course with three 180 degree turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:00 | 06.2 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/36
Overall: 46/291
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps, half on paved surface half on crushed rock.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-05-21 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon

2018-05-21 3:31 PM
in reply to: #5243558

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon

Awesome job out there!! Loved your commentary on the run, it's always such a mental battle - well done!

2018-05-22 4:30 PM
in reply to: #5243558

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon
Nice work out there Mike. I'm thinking it was the heat, we haven't had much time to acclimate and I know how much better a runner you are. Even Kelly D. said she had to work hard to hold 7:45 pace so it was tough for most of us.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by crusty
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2017-07-23 9:56 PM crusty

London Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by po
Views: 836 Posts: 1

2017-07-23 12:52 PM po