General Discussion Triathlon Talk » homemade energy snacks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-22 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: homemade energy snacks
Looking at healthy recipes to take on bike rides. I'm surprised by the number of recipes that call for nuts. When you look at GU etc. they are all carbs. I was thinking of making something with simple and complex carbs, rice balls etc.

Do I really want to digest fat on a ride? I don't do very long rides, am working up to 56 miles.

Thanks,
Mitzi

2018-05-22 2:48 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: homemade energy snacks
Nope. For rides you want simple carbs and sugar for immediate energy usage.

Save the fats for couple hours after and dinner when you should taper carbs.

Your body cannot process fats for immediate energy needs efficiently.
2018-05-22 5:22 PM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Hey Mitzi,

I bought Shalane Flannigan's "Run Fast Eat Slow" cookbook. She's got some great healthy recipes in there.

One thing I did like on long rides was "Giddy-Up Energy Bites". It's made with dates, cherries, cocoa powder and some other stuff I don't recall off the top of my head. Really good and a nice change from GU's on the bike.

--
Dave
2018-05-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

My wife got a homemade play dough recipe a few years ago that is made of peanutbutter, powdered milk, and honey.  She let our daughters play with it once but it was kind of oily from the peanut butter.  I made balls of it and wrapped it in saran wrap and took it on the bike with me.  It is about like eating a power bar.  I even take with me on races.  I use the natural peanut butter so it doesn't have the oil in it that is bad for you.  I know that Peanut butter has a lot of fat I have never had problems with the peanutbutter play dough.  I am mainly after the honey in the mix.  I also have done pure honey on saran wrap.  They are more for the run that for the bike though. I used to take them on my 18+ mile marathon training runs.  I don't do much of anything for training any more.  I don't need anything on the run unless I am going more than about 2 hours which I never do any more since I am not doing Marathons.  On the bike it is more like three hours before I need to take anything but water.  On longer work outs I do fine just putting gator aid in the water bottles.  I don't do many training rides longer than 3 hours either.  I have done the 50% orange juice 50% water mix in water bottles as home made gator aid.  I also have done a honey water mix in the water bottles (although I am not a real fan of that).  That is about the extend of my home made bike treats.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-05-23 10:32 AM
2018-05-23 11:24 AM

Originally posted by MuscleMomma

Looking at healthy recipes to take on bike rides. I'm surprised by the number of recipes that call for nuts. When you look at GU etc. they are all carbs. I was thinking of making something with simple and complex carbs, rice balls etc.

Do I really want to digest fat on a ride? I don't do very long rides, am working up to 56 miles.

Thanks,
Mitzi

I can't help ya much. I fancy PB&J or ham sandwiches if I'm going to need lunch. They hold up OK in my jersey pockets. Anything close to 50 and I will treat myself to a Salted Nut Roll....or the inferior Payday because SNR's are hard to find around here. And if I go over 70 miles, I will allow myself a rollerdog from a gas station. But only if I've gone 50 and am 20 miles from home...so I can't cheat.

I know I'm doing it all wrong. I never set out to do it right!
2018-05-24 2:00 AM

User image

Kingston Upon Thames, England
Watch this........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJEIiWV3VQ&vl=en

they work fine and are tasty.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » homemade energy snacks Rss Feed