General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
Kansas City Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 10s
Overall Rank = 50/292
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Well, race weekend actually started on Saturday with the Perry Lake Road race. Perry was a 58 mile two lap course with between 2,700 and 3,000 feet of climbing. I was just there to try and grab some team points. We're trying to win the KS State KBAT Masters tittle was well as the state KEEN Wealth title which is both men and women combined.

I am not a road bike racer but I train with them at least until I get dropped, LOL! There were 13 riders in Men's 50+ and I finished 9th so I'm good with that. They give points down to 15 places which is why I made the start line. I got quickly dropped right off the bat and had to fight hard to rejoin the group. Got dropped again midway on the first lap and was never able to rejoin. Averaged 20.6 mph first lap, 18.5 mph second lap. Basically took it easy the rest of the day, trying to stay hyrdrated.
Event warmup:

Woke up at 5:15, was at the race site by 6:15. Set up transition, talked with some folks, put my wetsuit on then walked down to the beach.

I didn't really warm up, intended to swim a bit but they called all swimmers out of the water before I could. Oh well, I knew this was not going to be a PR day and looked at it more of an opportunity to lose some more of that winter weight. I was about 10 lbs over my normal weight this time of the season.
Swim
  • 25m 57s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty well, had to squeeze in between a few swimmers during the first 200 yards or so. We swam into the sun at first and I couldn't see very well. I should have worn my tinted goggles as the ones I had were only slightly tinted, not enough. My sighting was pretty bad this time around. The second lap became very congested and I had to do quite a bit of zig-zagging. That at the first right turn buoy on the second lap three dudes in front of me, all abreast, came to a full stop at the buoy. Seriously dudes, round that buoy man, LOL!

I ended up swimming over 1,900 yards per the 920XT which resulted in a pace of 1:18 per 100 which is nice. A friend of mine had a distance even further. Not sure if it was long, I saw one GPS at 1,699 yards which is only about 60 yards long.
What would you do differently?:

I think if I had the tinted (or other?) goggles my vision would have been clearer as I had a hard time seeing the buoys from long distance during the first half of each lap.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Had a hard time getting suit off over my heels. I'm a size 13 and the openings at the bottom of the wetsuit legs are probably more for a size 10. Maybe that's why some people but the bottoms shorter I don't know...

Not sure, my transitions have never been fast anyway.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 27s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride went OK considering tired legs from yesterday. I didn't push the pace TOO hard like I normally do on the bike because I knew it would be warm during the run and I did NOT want to have to walk ANY part of it. Went back and forth for a while with yellow compression sock guy.

Um, maybe not race the day before LOL. Not really much, I chose to race both days it's all good. This was a good check-up in terms of fitness.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Just happy T2 was faster than T1!

I dunno, I'm not much faster than this. Oh yeah alsmost forgot, I left my visor at home AND I forgot to grab my sunglasses, D'Oh!
Run
  • 52m 23s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

So I had no visor nor shades so I wasn't feeling cool and most importantly was not looking cool either. I take bad enough pictures as it is and having no cover makes it even worse!

Anyhow i knew I would feel the prior days road race so I took it out somewhat conservatively hoping not to cramp up. That pace actually worked quite well. It was probably my slowest ever 10K run off the bike but I was in damage control mode most of the way.

Oh yeah, did I mention my run volume the last 2.5 months has only been 11.3 miles per week? Yeah, so I'm happy with this run.

Nothing really as I think I paced that run perfectly according to my current ability and fitness level.

Mile Time
1 8:09
2 8:01
3 8:22
4 8:22
5 8:14
6 8:18
0.37 3:00

My 920XT had the run at 6.35 miles so maybe a tad long.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around, drank chocolate milk and chatted it up with a few peeps. When I looked at the print results I saw I was 6th in division which I was a little surprised since only one of the usual suspects was racing. I had no idea who 2nd through 5th in my division were. All those guys went 2:22 or faster so even with a rest day I probably would not have made top 3.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The list is long but mainly comes down to training time this year and racing the day before. I had tossed the idea of doing the sprint around since I'd like to go to nationals. Turns out I would have placed higher in the sprint and maybe qualified but I wanted to have the longer swim, not just 500m. I might have to do the regional race to get into nationals so we'll see.

Event comments:

Overall a good race, well organized etc. I heard some folks mention they would have liked more water stations, I think there were two. It worked out for me but i did take one gatorade and one water at each one.

Last updated: 2018-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:57 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 33/292
Performance: Average
Suit: Roka Maverick Pro Full Sleeve
Course: 2 Lap rectangular, CW
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:27 | 24.8 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 17/292
Wind: Little
Course: On road, two laps with three 180 degree turns per lap.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:23 | 06.22 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 75/292
Course: Two laps, half paved the other half on gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-05-22 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

2018-05-23 9:01 AM
in reply to: #5243625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

That is a real good result, Reece, especially after biking 58 miles the day before!

2018-05-23 2:26 PM
in reply to: #5243625

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Yes, what IS it with people stopping at the turn buoys?!  But seriously, nice work out there both days!  That is true toughness doing bike racing Saturday and then an Olympic tri the next day.  Keep up the solid results and efforts in your bike racing endeavor! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kansas City Triathlon

Started by Barkeep
Views: 720 Posts: 3

2018-05-22 4:30 PM reecealan

Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by crusty
Views: 976 Posts: 1

2017-07-23 9:56 PM crusty

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Jeffro611
Views: 936 Posts: 1