IM ABLE Foundation
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This race would be EFP's first triathlon ever and the 9th time for me at this race. Got up around 5 to leave the house around 6:15-ish. Ate Siggi's yogurt with diced apple and granola with a few Craisins sprinkled in. Sipped some Nuun on the way to the race site.

Sat in the car a few extra minutes after parking because it was raining cats and dogs with no end in sight. Finally resigned ourselves to accept the fact this was going to be our day. I was glad I wore a rain coat, rain pants and LL Bean boots because everything was a wet, muddy mess. The car thermometer read 52 when we arrived.

Got body marked then headed toward race central. We found a spot in transition that wasn't too muddy and set up our spots. Extra room was available since there were a lot of no-shows because of the weather and cold. Said hi to a few friends, fought to get the wetsuit on, and ate a Justin's honey PB packet as pre-race nutrition, sipped more Nuun.

Because of the weather, there wasn't the usual broadcast/sound system. The RD is a former Marine and purposely holds this race on Armed Forces Day. Since we had no soundsystem, all racers faced the flag and sang the national anthem a capella. Pretty cool. Formalities complete, we headed to the lake to stage for the start!
Event warmup:

Swung my arms around a little, shook my legs. This served as a method to get blood moving in the chill and also to get my muscles warmed up to swim. EFP went off in wave 5, I in wave 8.
Swim
  • 09m 27s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty good, I was happy with my sighting, positioning and performance overall but should've swam faster! Minimal contact, passed a fair amount of people, got a strong start. 62 degree water usually feels pretty chilly but with air temps of 52, it felt 'good'!
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster!
Transition 1
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

Decent transition overall considering the cold and rain. I was a little fumbly and also talking to EFP who was taking his sweet time, lol, but Imainly kept on point and didn't waste too much time.

There was a little bunch up at the mount line. I'd have preferred a better start but it wasn't entirely my fault.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 16 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Headed out on the bike feeling, again, decent physically and mentally. A bit frustrated at the cluster of bikers in front of me who put on the brakes needlessly heading down the little driveway out of transition out to the main road. I may have yelled for them not to stop, to keep moving. I don't remember exactly what I said.

After getting past them, I systematically I made my way through some slower bikers satisfied with my performance so far. Frustrated with a pair of friends who insisted on riding side by side and not toward the right who caused consternation for many riders, not just me. Saw a friend cheering near Dinosaur Rock - it's always great to get surprise support! Made good time getting down the hill and through the rollers.

Was my start PR material? No, but it felt good especially considering the weather. Turned onto Creek Road about 5 miles into the bike and saw a biker down with a couple people standing around. I asked if they were ok and they replied affirmatively, then I recognized the person on the ground as a friend so I stopped. I quickly saw she wouldn't be getting back on the bike today. She remained laying on the road for a while, then wanted to sit up. I had a vest on and gave it to her since she’s about 100 lbs soaking wet and WAS soaking wet (it was still raining steadily) and shivering heavily and obviously injured.

The other female and I tried to keep her warm with our body heat as one of the other people attempted to get in touch with someone to send an ambulance. We stayed with her until the ambulance finally arrived, probably 20-30 minutes later, I have no idea for sure. By then I was pretty cold and it seemed most of the other bikers in the race were passed so I and the others loaded our bikes in the SAG wagon to be taken back. The ambulance passed out blankets to us after they got my friend loaded up.

While I wouldn’t change my decision to stop to help a friend, I was a little disappointed in not finishing the race especially since I was feeling ok.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Put my bike back on the rack and had my injured friend's bike as well. Put my rain gear and boots back on and watched LT finish, congratulated AH and a few others from AYP. Got to see EFP finish and got some pictures of him!

Injured friend was released from the ambulance and in a wheelchair. Some folks from her tri club offered to drive her car back plus drive her to get further medical assessment. Chatted with her a bit and told her I'd take her bike and belongings to her house.

Gathered up our bikes and gear and took our stuff and my friend's back to our car. Normally we'd stay for awards but we were both cold and ready to be out of the rain so we went home for warm showers and dry clothes. I was shivering so hard by the time we got home despite having the heat in the car cranked up to 78!

Went back out for BBQ and beer after we got cleaned up. Sadly none of our pals were able to join us for various reasons.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My first official DNF ever. Not a bad track record, I suppose.

Event comments:

I fully endorse this race and its cause and will continue to support it in years to come but I've learned today that there needs to be some better method in place to get help for someone in need of serious assistance. Thank heavens my friend didn't have more serious injuries - it took way too long to get in touch with someone and for help to arrive.

Last updated: 2017-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:27 | 500 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 90/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 16 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2018-05-23 2:12 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Got the Nerve? Triathlon

2018-05-24 11:39 AM
in reply to: #5243692

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Got the Nerve? Triathlon
Wow, what a wonderful friend you are Melanie. You can be in my corner any time {{{{{Cyber Hug}}}}}}

In this case maybe DNF = Dearly Needed Friendship

Hopefully that feeling good sensation is present in one of your upcoming races.

And what's with people slowing down on the bike! it's a race people, LOL!
2018-05-29 12:55 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Got the Nerve? Triathlon
Screw that DNF. You made a choice to stop and help a friend. Take the DNF and be proud!!

Sorry it was a miserable day though. :/
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Got the Nerve? Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Got the Nerve? Triathlon

Started by haight2
Views: 584 Posts: 1

2018-05-19 2:46 PM haight2

Got the Nerve? Triathlon

Started by melbo55
Views: 946 Posts: 1