Elite Sports California
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 33s
Overall Rank = 4/57
Age Group = M 50-59
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Very much a last minute decision to run this...registered at packet pickup the day before (after busting up the steering in my car after a morning trail run). Had run the previous three days (general 6 miler on Thursday, treadmill intervals on Friday, 7 miles easy on the trails Saturday), which is unusual for me, but I tried to play it smart. Felt the healthiest I've been in six months.

Event warmup:

Parked my rental pickup truck 200m from the start and did a warmup run from there. Felt good.
Run
  • 1h 37m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Hoped for all-time PR, top 5 overall, and age group win. Got the latter two. PR (1:35:33) was a possibility for the first 4 miles or so, but I slipped off my target pace after that and then my mid-back seized up for the first time in quite awhile. Bad enough that I consciously backed off my pace to protect it the last two miles (once I knew that I was safely in 4th overall and pretty certain of at least getting under 1:38).
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not bike to my Saturday nonprofit bookkeeping job with a backpack on. I haven't been having any issues with my mid-back (where my compression fracture was in 2015) lately...this was the worst flareup in over a year, I'm sure. No issues with my legs (other than once they were very fatigued at the end), but the back was bad.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around what passed for an expo waiting for an AG medal...that they ran out of!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Back pain.

This was my third fastest half marathon lifetime and exactly 2 minutes off my PR from 2012.

Event comments:

This is a "grass roots" event, but could definitely be managed better. The participant shirts had not been received by the race company prior to the race, so they were promising to "mail or deliver" them the week after the race. Then they ran out of first-place age group medals before they got to the half marathon awards. On course drink cups were not much bigger than bathroom-size Dixie cups and the volunteers were eager, but really young. $95 for packet-pickup registration was a lot for a race this generally stripped-down.

Last updated: 2018-05-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:33 | 13.1 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 4/57
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps of (essentially) an inverted lollipop course. 10 miles on concrete MUP, 3.1 on hard-packed dirt path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes