General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramps In Base Of Feet Whilst Swimming...Need Some Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-28 8:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Cramps In Base Of Feet Whilst Swimming...Need Some Help
When swimming, I'm running into some issues with the muscles in the base of my feet cramping up.

It seems to happen more in the summer when I'm running a lot more... and when looking at a diagram of a foot (bare with me, I am not an anatomy expert) it is the Abductor Hallucis, and the Flexor Digitorum Brevis.

It happens in both feet...sometimes one or both at the same time. What sets it off is a sprint or fast swim, especially when kicking off the wall I can feel the muscles start to cramp up when streamlined coming upto the surface. In a Triathlon, I have to physically stop, stretch out the foot until the spasm stops then carry on gingerly for a few minutes. In a 100m sprint or something at a swim competition its essentially a disaster. Just try and extend the foot to keep it from completely cramping up.

Can someone help me with this? Is there something I can do to stop this issue? Stretches? Strengthing techniques? Why is this happening? Is it common?

Any help is appreciated.

2018-05-28 3:50 PM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Subject: RE: Cramps In Base Of Feet Whilst Swimming...Need Some Help
The same thing happened to me for the first couple of years of swimming. I was told to drink more or take in more electrolytes. Neither worked but eventually they went away for the most part. I think that they were being stressed and once I whipped them into shape, they didn't cramp any more.
2018-05-28 5:37 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Probably a combination of fatigue from running, maybe insufficient fluids or electrolytes (which would be more common in summer), and maybe powering off the wall too hard and/or pointing your toes to aggressively on the streamline. I used to coach swimming here in Vietnam and those cramps were really common with our kids; I don't see them so much in cooler climates. Guessing the kids tend to get dehydrated during the day running around at recess, etc. That probably happens with adult athletes as well--remember if weather is hot you can get dehydrated and lose electrolytes not just training but walking around, doing yard work, etc.

Also seems to be more common at either end of the swim spectrum--either people who are just learning and have been told to point their toes so they overdo it (it's not something you really should be actively worrying about or trying to do), and people with a competitive swim background, especially sprinters, who are used to powering aggressively off the wall from a flip turn and going into a perfect streamline and dolphin kick. If the latter, I would save that for time trials. Not worth it in a normal workout and there aren't walls in triathlon anyway. Just aim for clean turns, steady pacing, and efficient form in general
2018-05-28 6:35 PM

The most likely cause is a lack of fitness. Keep swimming, putting in the miles, and it should go away. Is it happening all the time, or are you running on the same day as swimming? I had this issue at first and especially when I was running/biking in the morning and swimming at night.

Kicking sets will help you build the needed strength. Use fins. It might actually cause some cramps, but just learn to slow down a bit.
2018-05-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Thanks for all the replies for more clarification.

-I don't run and swim on the same days. Separate days.

-Fitness level is high. Running is comfortable, and I come from a competitive swimming background. Its my premier sport.

-Is slowing down or not sprinting as hard viable options? Taking away intensity will take away from progression.

I'm hoping to get some insight into what I can do to solve the issue. I don't want to take away intensity/frequency of training. The issue isn't going away. If it was merely waiting it through I'd do that but its been a constant issue.

Possible weak muscles? or bad form? Should I see a physio or physician to get a proper diagnosis and plan or is this common enough that someone has some ideas to solve it?

Thanks, TCO.

2018-05-29 9:54 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Try not pushing off of the wall so hard. I also get foot cramps and find that when I ease up off of a strong wall push, they are much less frequent.

2018-05-29 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I'm a broken record on cramps..
I tried everything and the only thing that works consistently is Hot Shot.

I just cramp. Hydration, nutrition, etc doesn't matter when and where it happens. Hot Shot before the swim and I'm good to go.

https://amzn.to/2L37w9e
2018-05-29 1:55 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by lisac957

Try not pushing off of the wall so hard. I also get foot cramps and find that when I ease up off of a strong wall push, they are much less frequent.

I can do that. It has helped...but then when it comes to a swim competition, or when I need to do some interval training...it is still there. I need a permanent solution....
2018-05-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by TriJayhawkRyan

I'm a broken record on cramps..
I tried everything and the only thing that works consistently is Hot Shot.

I just cramp. Hydration, nutrition, etc doesn't matter when and where it happens. Hot Shot before the swim and I'm good to go.

https://amzn.to/2L37w9e

Ya...i'm pretty sure i'm not going to spend $85 bucks on this. I did a quick search on this, and a lot of troubling articles popped up on it including unsubstantiated claims, and better marketing then proof of claims. Stating "Scientifically proven" is a marketing tool with no legal recourse..just like "clinically proven."

No offense, but I'm evidence based. Perhaps there is some use for this product...but without any evidence based double blind controlled studies done...I don't think it warrants spending that kind of money.

2018-06-02 8:12 PM
in reply to: #5243889

User image

I get this, occasionally too. For me I think I have noticed some connection to what shoes I've been wearing that day. I had a pair of office shoes that seemed to affect this. Maybe you will discover something similar.

Not sure if this helps but it sure feels good, roll your sole on a golf ball. It's a wonderful massage. Just stand or sit and put a ball under one of your feet and roll.

I replied with a longer response in another swim cramp thread, but the gist of it was that the only scientifically proven way to prevent cramps is to ensure you have a good balance of electrolytes. For most of us we may be low on magnesium and calcium. Especially long distance athletes struggle with magnesium. So try and see if it helps. I take banana and milk but read up on it and find your own way.
2018-06-03 4:39 PM

User image

Sarasota, Florida
There are chemical/nutritional reasons for cramping, but my field of expertise is in muscles, so I'm looking at the cramping from that angle.

I've been working with endurance athletes for 28 years, finding the source of pain and figuring out how they can self-treat the spasms. I've found with my clients that anyone who wears thong-type sandals, or who runs for miles, will repetitively strain the two muscles you mentioned: Abductor Hallicus and Flexor Digitorum Brevis. There are two other muscles that are likely to be involved: the Flexor Hallicus and Flexor Digitorum Longus muscles. All four of these muscles insert into the bottom of your toes and pull them down onto the ground so you can push off with power. In the case of your sandals, every step you take causes the muscles to contract to hold on to your shoe. It's subtle, but it's still a repetitive strain.

The repetitive strain on these muscles will cause them to spasm and shorten. I suggest you work these muscles out at the end of your training session. You can do that by pressing your fingers deeply into the muscles and holding the pressure for 15-30 seconds before moving to the next point in the muscle. You will find that some of the muscle feels fine, but you'll hit a tender point that feels like a knife is being pushed into the muscle. This is the spasm that is shortening the fibers. Hold the pressure longer and the pain will begin to lessen. Then, stay in the same point but lighten the pressure for 5-10 seconds before applying it deeply again.

You are forcing out hydrogen ions (H+) from the fibers and drawing blood into the muscle. It won't take too long before it doesn't hurt at all, and the strain is removed. When the muscles don't hurt anymore it is safe to stretch the fibers without causing any micro-tears in the fibers.

Wishing you well,
Julie

YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit www.FlexibleAthlete.com and www.JulstroMethod.com for logical solutions to questions about muscle and joint pain.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cramps In Base Of Feet Whilst Swimming...Need Some Help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cramp in the calf's whilst swimming

Started by mortirolo
Views: 1186 Posts: 14

2018-06-03 4:52 PM FlexibleAthlete

Advise needed to improve swim times

Started by bellybig
Views: 1160 Posts: 7

2018-02-23 9:17 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Need Help Choosing A Garmin Watch...Or Any Watch for Run/Bike/OWSwim

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 1032 Posts: 11

2017-12-01 8:20 AM TheCrownsOwn

help with cramps

Started by bnsafe
Views: 791 Posts: 11

2017-11-25 6:26 PM VJIADIS

Tri Fit: Help me decide which bike do I need based on my Retül?

Started by teixido
Views: 619 Posts: 2

2017-08-16 8:17 AM brigby1