General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It must be race week... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-28 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Subject: It must be race week...
Well...

- Only pool in town decided to close for four days this weekend.
- My Achilles decided to start acting out, just seven days before race day.
- Bike's rear brake broke this morning, one of the pieces got stacked in the crank and almost crashed, made home with no rear brake but no idea if I would be able to get it fixed by Saturday, shop is closed :(
- We are getting a rise in temperatures for next week, expected temp. for 0800 on Saturday: mid 80s.

Edited by DaniD 2018-05-28 7:47 PM

2018-05-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #5243906

User image

Subject: RE: It must be race week...
Maybe the pool being closed was a sign to rest your Achilles. Hopefully the bike will be up and running in time.

That’s been a big adjustment for me coming into triathlon from running. A lot more stuff to go wrong and more equipment to break.

Running all I need is a pair of shorts, socks, shoes, a hat and a shirt. Electronics are nice but not mandatory.

Hope the race goes well. Try and eliminate all the stress.
2018-05-29 9:18 AM
in reply to: DaniD

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: It must be race week...

I was out working in the yard for 5-6 hours yesterday in 92 deg F weather.  They say the heat index for the humidity was 101 deg F.  Yep...It must be race week.  

I pulled out some of the race gear I haven't thought about since my last race in September.  Some of it took a little digging to find since I wasn't very good at putting everything away where it should be. I am hoping that all the gear has stored well I will dust it off this week and test it once to twice in work outs to see it if holds up or need to be replaced (not there won't be time to get replacements this week so if it doesn't hold up I will be on my training equipment.  

I started to think about race day nutrition.  I historically have failed miserably with nutrition in 70.3 races and Marathons.  This week I am only going to be doing an Olympic Distance Time Trial so a lot less pressure on the nutrition plan but I want to use this as practice for my A race which is a 70.3 so nailing the nutrition would be a big confidence boost. But where to start??? How many calories/carbs/electrolytes, what type, when?  

I also have started to think about pacing strategies.  Again this will be my practice that will get me ready for my A race in 8 weeks so getting somewhere close to the right pace so I know how to adjust for my other races would be a big boost.  

The good thing is that they say that their is a 10 day gate before  a race where you can't do anything else to improve your speed/fitness and as long as you get proper rest and recovery can't hurt your speed/fitness either.  So do what you can do this week and know that you will be physically ready on race day.  Hopeful the gear will be ready for race day too.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » It must be race week... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I ready for open water?

Started by DaniD
Views: 1878 Posts: 23

2018-06-05 2:23 AM knuta99

Am I Ready??

Started by buckmaster
Views: 483 Posts: 4

2018-01-11 10:23 PM wenceslasz

Deleting races from my races