General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 3rd Time was Not the Charm Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-05-28 10:28 PM

Subject: 3rd Time was Not the Charm
Keep trying to break 3 hours in an Oly. Keep failing.

Record heat in Austin today doomed my third attempt. Last one I finished in 3:00:06. For real.

I just have to find a solution for my race nutrition. I sweat so much it's crazy. Buckets. Think of the person you know who sweats more than anyone, then multiply it by 3. That's me.

Today I was feeling a awesome as I started the run and was at 2:20 when I completed the first 5K. And that's even with laying down my bike and losing a couple minutes there while finishing the race with a separated shoulder.

So, let me back up and say I wasn't exactly feeling awesome. But with the race and my cardio and even my legs, I was thinking u had it in the bag. Even if I just speed walked at 13 min/mile I got it.

Nope.

Cramped so bad I could barely move. Finished at nearly 3:05.

Geezus. What a disappointment.

So, anyhow, I'm here seeking answers for nutrition. I need to know what is the heavy artillery I need to use. I consumed 70 ounces of water all with Vega sport in it while I was on the bike. I didn't take any salt tabs. That might be what killed me, I think.

When I look at my clothes and shoes after they've dried, they are always caked with white powder like they've been left in the Dead Sea.

Had the salt pills right there in my tri bars and just freaking forgot to take it.

Feeling like a dumbass.

Oh well. I guess I still have something to shoot for.

The heat was just killer.

I really need advice on the best way to isolate the exact amount of what I need. And advice on what to use.

Come on heavy sweaters. I know you are out there. Don't let me down!

2018-05-31 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5243912

Subject: RE: 3rd Time was Not the Charm
Anyone?
2018-05-31 10:35 PM
in reply to: Saul Goodman

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hey Saul, I know there was an article in the Training Injuries section awhile back where someone asked about this and one of the doctors answered.
I don't want to give advice off the cuff that will cause hyponatremia or hypernatremia.

I can help combat heat (put cold wet towel or ice on back of neck or over heart (in HR strap or shirt) to circulate cooler temps throughout your body.

But I'm not qualified to talk about sodium or hydration. Let me try to find the link.
2018-05-31 10:36 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Here:
https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2582

Also if you post in Triathlon Talk, you'll get a bigger audience.
We just have a few people here looking occasionally and welcoming new people, but most of the Q&A happens in the Triathlon Talk forum.
2018-06-01 7:36 PM
in reply to: #5244038

Thanks, Alice!
2018-06-01 7:45 PM
in reply to: #5244094

Great article! Super helpful. I'm going to use my next 10K training run to assess my water loss. Good first step.

2018-06-11 10:16 AM
in reply to: Saul Goodman

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by Saul Goodman

Keep trying to break 3 hours in an Oly. Keep failing.

Record heat in Austin today doomed my third attempt. Last one I finished in 3:00:06. For real.

Come on heavy sweaters. I know you are out there. Don't let me down!

Hi Sam:

You're actually asking a complex question based on an assumption that the answer lies somewhere in the arena of sweat rates and/or race nutrition/hydration. Heat likely played a factor. But without knowing your training it's hard to provide thoughtful input. That is probably why you're not getting many people to respond. Hydration/nutrition may or may not have anything at all do with your performance. The answer could just as easily lie in your training plan. Or it could be your race execution on the swim or bike that causes you to go anaerobic which then sabotages your ability to perform on the run to get to your goal of breaking 3 hours.

I'd be happy to visit with you more but I'd need a lot more information. Just shoot me a PM.

BTW--going over or under 3 hours is simply a goal. There is zero level of dumbassery in not getting there. You're finished ahead of 99% of the U.S. population just having the courage to train, race and finish. Keep your head up.

Good luck,

Steve
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » 3rd Time was Not the Charm Rss Feed