General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I do an FTP test without my own power meter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-03 8:07 PM

Subject: How do I do an FTP test without my own power meter?
I am a member of a fairly nice club here in Austin. They have a shit ton of spin bikes. Is this something I can do with a spin bike and an app of some sort? I tried searching posts and it looked like Zwift was part of the answer so I downloaded it to PC and Phone and I can't find jack squat there. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

2018-06-03 9:13 PM
in reply to: Saul Goodman

Subject: RE: How do I do an FTP test without my own power meter?
What are you trying to accomplish with such a test? I ask because the main reason to know your FTP is to set up training sessions/targets. So, even if you could somehow figure out your FTP via a spin bike. . . I'm not sure how that helps since you won't have a power meter during your future training sessions.

If you had a heart rate monitor. . . you could do some testing and set-up some zones or you can simply rely on perceived effort.
2018-06-04 9:14 AM
in reply to: #5244148

Thanks for the reply. Two reasons:

1) I want to have an accurate number to enter into bestbikesplit to help me set a good pace for my first 70.3 race later this year. I think my bike pacing is blowing up my run.

2) I want to have another distinct benchmark to measure my training progress and this seems like a really good one to do once/month or so. So once I figure this out, I would use the same process once every month while training.

That's the thinking. I welcome suggestions/advice if this is a dumb idea. Wouldn't be my first dumb idea!
2018-06-04 10:32 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

There are a few threads on BT discussing field tests for FTP.  Basically, after a warm-up, go all out (bike or run) for 30 minutes and your HR/power in the last 20 minutes of that 30-minute effort give you your maximum.  

Do you already train with a HRM?  

Come race day, it's best to not "force" anything.  Weather and your own fitness/fatigue that day can have a significant impact on how well you perform and holding onto some external notion of how fast you should be riding can blow up your race.  

2018-06-04 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
2018-06-06 9:31 PM

Originally posted by Saul Goodman

1) I want to have an accurate number to enter into bestbikesplit to help me set a good pace for my first 70.3 race later this year. I think my bike pacing is blowing up my run.

2) I want to have another distinct benchmark to measure my training progress and this seems like a really good one to do once/month or so. So once I figure this out, I would use the same process once every month while training.

That's the thinking. I welcome suggestions/advice if this is a dumb idea. Wouldn't be my first dumb idea!

You could certainly use the spin bike to gauge month over month progress, assuming it measures power, by repeating the same workout. However, spin bike power does not translate well into the real world so I'm not sure you'll get a good result in best bike split.

You could also gauge improvement by repeating a few Strava segments once in awhile to see if you're getting faster. The only caveat is that after awhile, you'll end up with some PR's that are wind assisted and they become difficult to beat.

2018-06-06 9:51 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Saul Goodman

Even if you were able to determine your FTP, Best Bike Split is going to give you a cheat sheet with either power (watts) or speed red-lines.  Speed is useless as a pacing metric - high wind, high temperature/humidity can impact your speed relative to your exertion level - meaning the speed cheat sheet is just so much meaningless ink on a piece of paper.  You don't have a power meter so using a cheat sheet with power red-lines is also meaningless.

I would suggest two things to help your pacing:

1) Learn to use RPE - rate of perceived exertion.  Having an accurate RPE-o-meter is arguably the best pacing tool you can have. 

2) Use HR (heart rate) to back up RPE. 

Most of the athletes I work with have a power meter, however I still encourage them to use RPE as their primary race day pacing tool and secondarily use the power meter and red-lines to keep them from doing anything silly.  In the same way, you can use RPE as your primary pacing tool with HR to keep you from doing anything silly. 

2018-06-09 1:23 PM
in reply to: #5244163

Extremely helpful feedback, peeps. Thank you, all. I'm getting a HR Monitor and going to learn to use that RPE meter, Scott. ("trust your feelings, Luke").

Thanks, again, everyone!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I do an FTP test without my own power meter? Rss Feed