MRA Multisport
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 52s
Overall Rank = 74/143
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Event warmup:

After setting up my transition area, I went down to the water and got in some swim warmup, maybe 300-400 meters total.
Swim
  • 08m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

I made the turn at the first buoy pretty well. It was crowded, but I thought I navigated the tight quarters fairly well. As I set off towards the next buoy, it looked like a group of swimmers were headed out to the middle of the lake. I thought, "where are these dummies going?" After a couple breaths, I noticed they were getting farther away. Out of curiosity, I slowed and lifted my head to get a better view. Turns out I was the dummy! What I thought was the third buoy was actually the first (sighting) buoy! I had to correct my course. I think I felt some pressure to get back on track and may have pushed my pace too hard. I really felt gassed, had to face reality, and flipped over on my back to try to catch my breath. After 15-20 seconds, I went back to freestyle and finished the swim. Despite my poor navigation and having to backstroke for a little while, I was shocked to see that my swim time was almost a full minute FASTER than last year!
What would you do differently?:

My sighting was the biggest problem. I think I somewhat minimized the damage, but I still could have had a better performance if I had stayed on course. It was really crowded when I rounded that buoy, but I need to make sure I take enough time to know where I'm going. I'd love to rate this swim above average, but with my poor navigation I don't think it makes the cut.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

I struggled some getting my wetsuit over my ankles. I completely forgot to apply some lubrication to my ankles. I got my right foot out pretty quickly, but struggled with my left foot. I also hadn't done the best job of setting up my transition area for T1. I got my suit off and my socks and shoes on, but then had to run completely around the bike rack to get to the side where my helmet and sunglasses were. I did do a good job of running from the beach up the fairly steep hill to the transition area, but other struggles made this less than a good T1.

Applied lubrication to my ankles and set up my TA in a better organized fashion. I could have helped myself out if I had set it up better in the beginning. I had meant to just squeeze around the near end of the rack, but during the hurry/excitement of the race I forgot.
Bike
  • 32m 49s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.28 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like I pushed too hard at the start of the race. After coming out of the transition area, you almost immediately get into an uphill section about 3/4 mile long. I was really pushing my pace. I was passing quite a few people, but I knew my legs were going to pay the price. By the 5 mile mark, I was getting little nips of cramps in my calves. I tried to take in some fluid and extra salt, but I had to back off my effort level/pace in order to avoid seizing up. I managed to stave off the cramps, but the damage had been done to my pace. I was about a minute and a half slower than last year.

My effort level was part of the problem, but the bigger problem was just a lack of training. My training has been inconsistent over the last month or more and it has affected how well I could perform on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Without having really practiced it, I tried to pull off a flying dismount. While I had done this before with my toe cages, I had never done it with my clipless shoes. Bad idea. I didn't get my feet on top of my shoes and both of them ended up getting stuck between the pedal and the road. I actually snapped the bottom of both shoes in half! At least I didn't panic and fall on my face, but the awkward handling of the situation undoubtedly cost me a little time. Otherwise, I thought I got into and out of T2 fairly well.

Don't try anything new during a race! How many times have you heard it?! It's true. I doubt it could have cost me more than a 5 seconds, but considering I lost out on one position in the standings by 1 second, it mattered from that point of view.
Run
  • 25m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

As is typical with me, it didn't take long into the run before I felt like my calves were going to cramp. I stopped for maybe 15-20 seconds to stretch them out and they never became a problem. I felt like I paced myself about as well as I could have. I did walk briefly at the aid station at the turnaround, but I picked the pace right back up. As I was coming to the finish, I peeked over my shoulder and saw someone coming up fast. I tried to sprint to the finish to beat him, but he passed me only 2 steps from the finish line! ARGH! I can always hope he was in a different age group. ;-)

If I hadn't walked at the aid station, I wouldn't have been passed at the finish. But I don't like trying to gulp water on the run. Sometimes I swallow a lot of air and it bothers my stomach. I generally walk the stations to make sure I get a full cup down and don't upset my stomach. I think the only real mistake I made was drinking Gatorade instead of water. I didn't need the carbs at that point, but the Gatorade didn't sit that well in my stomach. I don't think it cost me any time, it just sucked for a little while.
Post race
Warm down:

I tried not to pass out! LOL After catching my breath, I caught up with a few fellow tri club members. I also took a little time to catch a couple friends coming to the finish line. I grabbed some post race grub and then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly it was a lack of training. I actually thought my result was really good considering how inconsistent my training has been over the last month or so. The biggest in-race mistake was my poor sighting on the swim. I did push a little too hard on the bike, but I managed to get through it and still have a pretty decent run. Actually, the run was my best discipline, so the bike pace didn't have that much of an impaft.

Event comments:

This is a good race and one I enjoy doing every year. I love the Friday night race time! It's a good venue and the post-race is pretty good. I just wish I was able to hang out longer after the race. But I wanted to get home to help my wife get the kids to bed, so I had to bail.

Last updated: 2018-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:29 | 400 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 78/143
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: Triangular course. Swim out from the beach, past the sighting buoy to the 2nd buoy, turn left to the 3rd buoy, then turn back towards shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:22
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:49 | 10 miles | 18.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 74/143
Wind: Little
Course: There are some hills on this course, but overall it is a pretty fair course. I've ridden this course numerous times, so I mostly know what to expect.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:48 | 03.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/12
Overall: 55/143
Performance: Good
Course: The run course is out and back on the first mile and a half of the bike course. The first 3/4 mile is essentially uphill, there is a moderate hill at the start/end of the middle section but it is mostly flat, then the last 3/4 mile is downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes