Other Resources The Political Joe » O Canada Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-11 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: O Canada
So looks like Trump and Trudeau locked horns at the G7....btw, remember when it used to be the G8 and Russia was included. Politics aside, makes sense to me to include more countries in their lil club.

I looked up the top countries the US has trade deficits with:

1. China - $636 billion traded with a $375 billion deficit.
2. Canada - $582 billion traded with an $18 billion deficit.
3. Mexico - $557 billion traded with a $71 billion deficit.
4. Japan - $204 billion traded with a $69 billion deficit.
5. Germany - $171 billion traded with a $65 billion deficit.

That is a lot of wealthy leaving the US! For years president after president have ignored these numbers as they didn't want to pizs off our allies. Guess they just didn't want to rock the boat. But one of the (many) reasons Trump was elected was to finally address this. Remember Ross Perot's famous line about a 'large sucking sound'. We have got to make better deals for the US.

I guess this really comes down to globalism vs nationalism. America has been carrying too much of the load for years and I glad we have someone who is willing to address this and not just kick the can down the road to appease our allies.

Canada imposes a 270% tariff on dairy that keep U.S. dairy products out of Canada. How is that for nationalism?!

2018-06-11 11:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: O Canada

I'd say the financial people on Wall Street think the President is right on the money.  It's such a shame to see so many people in this country whining when they could be making some decent money getting behind President Trump and investing some money.  It's a no-brainer and people are just sitting by waiting for it all to crash.  LMAO

Hell, if I only had 5 bucks a month extra it would be going into the stock market.  People are crazy.  That idiot Bill Maher is so messed up he's hoping for a recession. 

Edited by Left Brain 2018-06-11 11:57 AM
2018-06-12 3:19 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2018-06-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Bud sadly, Trump has moved onto other things now...

2018-06-12 3:24 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

OK OK, in all seriousness.

Trump is nothing more than a proponent of free trade.  He wants to do business with all these nations, but the idiots who came before him allowed many/most of our trade partners to take advantage of us out of some sort of guilt.  Those days are done.

He's threatening to impose tariffs on various products but only as equalizers to fair trade for any country who is not willing to remove their tariffs.  I was reading an article in Canada the other day defending the milk tariffs because if they weren't in place the Canadian milk farmers would be forced to lower their prices to compete.  Um, no shoot shirlock, that's kind of the whole idea.  lol

2018-06-14 1:53 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Originally posted by Rogillio

So looks like Trump and Trudeau locked horns at the G7....btw, remember when it used to be the G8 and Russia was included. Politics aside, makes sense to me to include more countries in their lil club.

That is a lot of wealthy leaving the US! For years president after president have ignored these numbers as they didn't want to pizs off our allies. Guess they just didn't want to rock the boat. But one of the (many) reasons Trump was elected was to finally address this. Remember Ross Perot's famous line about a 'large sucking sound'. We have got to make better deals for the US.

I guess this really comes down to globalism vs nationalism. America has been carrying too much of the load for years and I glad we have someone who is willing to address this and not just kick the can down the road to appease our allies.

Canada imposes a 270% tariff on dairy that keep U.S. dairy products out of Canada. How is that for nationalism?!

Where did you get those trade defecit numbers? I'd like to see the research.

Also, trade wars never fare well for anyone. That being said...the general consensus from economists (I could care less about the media's soap opera narrative between the leaders...means absolutely nothing) is that Canada and China need the US more than the US needs either of these countries for trade. Or in other words...Canada and Chine will suffer more than America in a trade war... But all will suffer...and possible recessions on the horizon if everyone doesnt sit down and play nice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/business/worldbusiness/20iht-drug...

I can't seem to find the more modern article I read a month ago...but things have not gotten better. Global trade is crucial for all countries.... this is one example.

2018-06-14 2:20 PM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn
Originally posted by Rogillio So looks like Trump and Trudeau locked horns at the G7....btw, remember when it used to be the G8 and Russia was included. Politics aside, makes sense to me to include more countries in their lil club. I looked up the top countries the US has trade deficits with: 1. China - $636 billion traded with a $375 billion deficit. 2. Canada - $582 billion traded with an $18 billion deficit. 3. Mexico - $557 billion traded with a $71 billion deficit. 4. Japan - $204 billion traded with a $69 billion deficit. 5. Germany - $171 billion traded with a $65 billion deficit. That is a lot of wealthy leaving the US! For years president after president have ignored these numbers as they didn't want to pizs off our allies. Guess they just didn't want to rock the boat. But one of the (many) reasons Trump was elected was to finally address this. Remember Ross Perot's famous line about a 'large sucking sound'. We have got to make better deals for the US. I guess this really comes down to globalism vs nationalism. America has been carrying too much of the load for years and I glad we have someone who is willing to address this and not just kick the can down the road to appease our allies. Canada imposes a 270% tariff on dairy that keep U.S. dairy products out of Canada. How is that for nationalism?!
Where did you get those trade defecit numbers? I'd like to see the research. Also, trade wars never fare well for anyone. That being said...the general consensus from economists (I could care less about the media's soap opera narrative between the leaders...means absolutely nothing) is that Canada and China need the US more than the US needs either of these countries for trade. Or in other words...Canada and Chine will suffer more than America in a trade war... But all will suffer...and possible recessions on the horizon if everyone doesnt sit down and play nice. https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/business/worldbusiness/20iht-drug... I can't seem to find the more modern article I read a month ago...but things have not gotten better. Global trade is crucial for all countries.... this is one example.

I do agree that nobody wins in a trade war, but here's the rub.  We're already in a trade war and have been for decades.  Many/Most countries have started a trade war through tariffs and other manipulations to aid themselves and harm the US.  Our leaders just sat back and let it happen so it's become the norm.  Whelp, no other countries buy American cars and that's just the way it is...
Trump is finally calling them out and fixing it to invoke a more balanced free trade.

2018-06-14 2:20 PM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Pro

I think things have gotten quite a bit better......in fact, looking at the last line of the article you sourced, I'd say WAY better.

"So for now, like it or not, China has the upper hand. As Polastro put it, "If China ever got very upset with President Obama, it could be a big problem."

That guy's gone......and from what I can see, neither the Chinese, nor anyone else, feel like they have the upper hand on the U.S. these days.

2018-06-14 2:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Rogillio

Where did you get those trade defecit numbers? I'd like to see the research.

Also, trade wars never fare well for anyone. That being said...the general consensus from economists (I could care less about the media's soap opera narrative between the leaders...means absolutely nothing) is that Canada and China need the US more than the US needs either of these countries for trade. Or in other words...Canada and Chine will suffer more than America in a trade war... But all will suffer...and possible recessions on the horizon if everyone doesnt sit down and play nice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/business/worldbusiness/20iht-drug...

I can't seem to find the more modern article I read a month ago...but things have not gotten better. Global trade is crucial for all countries.... this is one example.

People take the numbers they want and spin them. If you take product and services then surplus/deficit with Canada is negligible.

Yes tarifs on dairy need to be fixed and they are part of current NAFTA negotiations. 2 months ago, Trump couldn't care less about them. But he needed to make a big stink so it's a nice number to throw around. He doesn't throw around softwood lumber tarifs illegally imposed by the US (as per the world trade organization).

He wanted to make noise. He wanted a big fanfare before going off to Singapore. He threw whoever happened to be there under the bus.

Just like he was calling his new BFF "little rocket man" 6 months ago, I am sure he will be saying how great Justin is, if they one day sign a new free trade deal. Notice I didn't call it NAFTA.

But deep down nor Canada, nor any other G7 country, or middle east country or any other country will trust him. I think for a while people will be able to separate him from the rest of Americans, but that will only be for so long. When, not if, he gets elected for a second mandate, people will nod their heads and go "really ?. This is what they really want ?" and recovery will be far away. I suspect the average Trump voter couldn't care less what Trump is doing to America's reputation throughout the world.

I am in absolute agreement with many of his ideas. I think a politician that holds their election promises is unique. But his execution is far more damaging than any possible benefits. It's too bad.

Edited by marcag 2018-06-14 2:43 PM
2018-06-14 2:35 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

I think things have gotten quite a bit better......in fact, looking at the last line of the article you sourced, I'd say WAY better.

"So for now, like it or not, China has the upper hand. As Polastro put it, "If China ever got very upset with President Obama, it could be a big problem."

That guy's gone......and from what I can see, neither the Chinese, nor anyone else, feel like they have the upper hand on the U.S. these days.

China has no leverage over us.  If you didn't get a chance to watch the video I shared a couple months back it's well worth the 45 minutes.  It really changed my perspective on how global trade works and who "needs" who.

Global Disorder and the Future of America

2018-06-14 2:45 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Rogillio So looks like Trump and Trudeau locked horns at the G7....btw, remember when it used to be the G8 and Russia was included. Politics aside, makes sense to me to include more countries in their lil club. I looked up the top countries the US has trade deficits with: 1. China - $636 billion traded with a $375 billion deficit. 2. Canada - $582 billion traded with an $18 billion deficit. 3. Mexico - $557 billion traded with a $71 billion deficit. 4. Japan - $204 billion traded with a $69 billion deficit. 5. Germany - $171 billion traded with a $65 billion deficit. That is a lot of wealthy leaving the US! For years president after president have ignored these numbers as they didn't want to pizs off our allies. Guess they just didn't want to rock the boat. But one of the (many) reasons Trump was elected was to finally address this. Remember Ross Perot's famous line about a 'large sucking sound'. We have got to make better deals for the US. I guess this really comes down to globalism vs nationalism. America has been carrying too much of the load for years and I glad we have someone who is willing to address this and not just kick the can down the road to appease our allies. Canada imposes a 270% tariff on dairy that keep U.S. dairy products out of Canada. How is that for nationalism?!
Where did you get those trade defecit numbers? I'd like to see the research. Also, trade wars never fare well for anyone. That being said...the general consensus from economists (I could care less about the media's soap opera narrative between the leaders...means absolutely nothing) is that Canada and China need the US more than the US needs either of these countries for trade. Or in other words...Canada and Chine will suffer more than America in a trade war... But all will suffer...and possible recessions on the horizon if everyone doesnt sit down and play nice. https://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/business/worldbusiness/20iht-drug... I can't seem to find the more modern article I read a month ago...but things have not gotten better. Global trade is crucial for all countries.... this is one example.
People take the numbers they want and spin them. If you take product and services surplus/deficit is negligible. Yes tarifs on dairy need to be fixed and they are part of current NAFTA negotiations. 2 months ago, Trump couldn't care less about them. But he needed to make a big stink so it's a nice number to throw around. He doesn't throw around softwood lumber tarifs illegally imposed by the US (as per the world trade organization). He wanted to make noise. He wanted a big fanfare before going off to Singapore. He threw whoever happened to be there under the bus. Just like he was calling his new BFF "little rocket man" 6 months ago, I am sure he will be saying how great Justin is, if they one day sign a new free trade deal. Notice I didn't call it NAFTA. But deep down nor Canada, nor any other G7 country, or middle east country or any other country will trust him. I think for a while people will be able to separate him from the rest of Americans, but that will only be for so long. When, not if, he gets elected for a second mandate, people will nod their heads and go "really ?. This is what they really want ?" and recovery will be far away. I suspect the average Trump voter couldn't care less what Trump is doing to America's reputation throughout the world. I am in absolute agreement with many of his ideas. I think a politician that holds their election promises is unique. But his execution is far more damaging than any possible benefits. It's too bad.

Meh.....not likely. 

In 1958 "The Ugly American" was written.......it didn't matter then and it won't matter now.  America's reputation will be what it is outside of our country.....the rest of the world will still deal. 

I do think you are correct that the average Trump voter couldn't care less what anyone from another country thinks.....we have no need to.

2018-06-14 2:54 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » O Canada Rss Feed