United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 04m 58s
Overall Rank = 800/1628
Age Group = F60-64
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Christine and I got up at 3:00. I only was able to eat about half of my oatmeal. I didn't slept much as usual.

We left the Fairfield Inn & Suites (Marriott) at 3:56 and arrived at 4:18 to park below Talbot and School. It was a good arrival time and the same time as last year. They did not let the cars park on the field this year because of the impending rain.

Two of the people down the other end of my rack didn't show up to race. I moved my sticker (and my bike) over for a tad extra room.

I put sunscreen on the part in my hair this year. That helped! i should've put it on my neck and chest ahead of time.

I ate a Power Bar before the start.

Event warmup:

98% humidity and about 69 degrees at 7 a.m.

Chris and I headed over to the swim start really early. There were a lot of people hanging around the playground. We found a seat at the picnic table. I feel that they were unorganized with this rolling start. The girls with the time signs did not line up early. We stood in line before they did. We wanted an early start. I didn't want a repeat of Oceanside. We ended up standing at the front of the 30-33 minute time sign, which was very early on in the line. There were two time groups ahead of us.

Swim
  • 34m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt comfortable in the swim. The only place I had contact was around all of the red turn buoys. Some people passed me, but not as many as I expected.

There was some current. Every time I'd feel relaxed and didn't look up to site, I'd find myself zig zagging.

What would you do differently?:

Draft
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

I stopped at the wetsuit strippers but remained standing. It was somewhat helpful but I think I ran slower carrying my wetsuit than I would have wearing it. It was a fairly long run to my transition spot.

I went sockless which was perfect!

Take my wetsuit off at my transition spot.

Bike
  • 3h 00m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Christine passed me at mile 4.9. She commented on how easy the swim was.

I saw a lot of men drafting. I saw the motorcycle one time early on. It was a very quiet one. Actually, I never heard it coming. I never saw anyone in the penalty tents.

I had to pee from about mile 25 to the end of the bike ride. Ugh!

I brought my own Gatorade (2 full strength bottles and one watered down smaller bottle) so I didn't have to drink the flavor that I can't stand on the course. I grabbed a bottle of water at 2 of the aid stations and drank about 3/4 of each. I didn't end up drinking a full bottle of Gatorade.

I ate one pack of Clif Bloks, a chocolate Power Bar, and one GU. I used BASE Salt once--3 licks.

It didn't feel overly hot on the bike.

Not take one of the Gatorades.

Transition 2
  • 09m 31s
Comments:

After getting off the bike, I took my shoes off for the super long run around the perimeter of the transition area (new this year). I walked to the ports pottie because I was in dire straights. I felt refreshed and was able to run with my bike after that.

Super Vaselined my toes, put on a visor, socks, shoes, put two GUs and the pickle juice in my pockets, squirted sunscreen on my arms and applied it while running out.

I carried Aquaphor, BASE Salt and 5 mustards in my SpiBelt.

Sunscreen on my bottom lip.

Consider stopping on the bike to pee instead of holding it for an hour and a half. Christine stopped and she said it took her one minute. She was able to bike harder after that. The other thing is that you don't feel like drinking when you have to go.

Run
  • 2h 15m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The sun came in and out during the run. The best part was the one mile after the snow cones (after mile 6). It was in the shade and there was a breeze. It was pleasant. I felt like it was a free mile. Of course, then we made the left back into the sun on that long stretch.

I amused myself by counting people I passed (70). Most were walking. I didn't count how many passed me, though, and there were a lot.

About mile 4, I felt the cramping start. I took two mustards at the aid station followed by pretzels. They were nasty but they did the trick. Later on, I felt more camps and took two more. I really think they helped. The cramping disappeared.

At each aid station, I took two cups of ice to put in my sports bra, a water, Gatorade, and pretzels. I skipped the last one. I never ate the GUs. I didn't feel like anything sweet. Never used the pickle juice.

I'm never happy with my run these days. I feel that I should go faster but I guess I shouldn't complain. At least I can still run.

Post race
Warm down:

I noticed the finish line camera and went up to it and waved.

I walked straight to the line to get into transition to get my dry clothes. The line was huge. Some guy gave me a piece of pizza. It wasn't very good but at least it was food. We waited at least 15 minutes before they let the line start moving. Once inside, I called Bob. He was driving home from State College. Silly me thought he'd be able to tell me how I did.

I changed in the port pottie and was sitting on my crate when I heard Christine calling me from outside the fence. She was packed up and ready to load the car. She was able to text her friend Tammy to find out that I took third place. That was the good news. The bad news was that we had to wait until 3:45 to pick up my award. The ceremony was supposed to start at 4:00. We weren't about to wait for that.

While waiting, I went to the food tent and had a big bowl of rice with extra beans. I really enjoyed those. I had been thinking about them on the bike ride.

I ended up with blisters on my left big toe and underneath both feet (first time ever).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As I say every year, age. I'm never going to get any younger.

Event comments:

Great race!

Last updated: 2018-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:41 | 2112 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 508/1628
Performance: Good
Suit: Long sleeved wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:26
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:00:25 | 56 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 1030/1628
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:57 | 13.1 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 746/1628
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2018-06-11 7:24 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman

2018-06-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: #5244463

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Eagleman
Nice race! I saw two draft packs out there as well, very frustrating getting passed by those folks. You had a much better run than me! Congrats on the AG podium!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Eagleman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mt Tremblant 70.3

Started by lagomorph
Views: 1028 Posts: 1

2017-06-27 11:33 AM lagomorph

Ironman Wisconsin 70.3

Started by hschrade
Views: 1249 Posts: 1

2017-06-14 9:44 PM hschrade