General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt tabs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-06-11 3:16 PM

Subject: Salt tabs
First forum post, as I'm not finding any good answers on the web. Everything I read about salt is as a supplement to drinks/gels, and I'm considering using it as a replacement.

Training for IM Louisville, but live in Dallas where the temps for my runs are, on a good day, before sunrise, 80 degrees and 75% humidity. And I sweat a lot. My main route is a 9 mile loop around a lake/park that is littered with water fountains. In cool weather, on runs shorter than ~10 miles I just drink water along the route and that's fine, but I haven't really run these distances in the summer before, and I'm finding that when I hit 7 miles or so with just water I really start dragging, I think likely from electrolyte loss. As an alternative, I've started carrying a bottle of Gatorade, but I really hate carrying a bottle when I run and find belts uncomfortable/hot. So looking for alternatives.

I'm considering a strategy where I carry salt tablets and take them periodically with water along the route, which in theory allows me to replace the lost sodium as I go without carrying a bottle.

Thoughts on the idea generally? Suggestions of which product to use? Based on limited research SaltStick is the front runner.

2018-06-12 12:08 AM
in reply to: #5244496

Subject: RE: Salt tabs
Man. Welcome to the mystery. There is a link in a thread I just posted to two doctors talking about hydration. It was great . . . but left me a little wanting.

I have tried salt with success. I sweat profusely. I lose about 2.2% body weight per hour in 80 degree temps.

The docs said you lose a lot of sodium's when you eat a lot of sodium.

I'm just not sure.
2018-06-12 6:44 AM
in reply to: astaplet82

User image

Extreme Veteran

When I race HIM, I bring salt stick tablets with me and use water from the course.
One or two per bottle of water is a pretty safe dose if you don't have medical conditions.

For long runs you probably don't need them unless you are drinking a LOT of water, but there is no harm and if you feel better they may be making a difference

A friend of mine, 6x IM winner (pro), swore by his saltsticks.

My personal experience not taking them : I raced my first half on water only and ended up unconscious. The med tent tested me and I was in pretty bad hyponatremic state. But I was drinking two bottles of water per hour for about 4 hours.
2018-06-19 4:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi, Just posted this in response to another question on electrolytes (its not just salt). For the run, First Endurance have a concentrated liquid shot product that you can easily carry in your hand/pocket and combine with water from aid stations: https://firstendurance.com/nutrition/efs-liquid-shot

Hope it helps.

" My suggestion would be to pick a good combined nutrition/hydration product (e.g. EFS from First Endurance) which includes all necessary calories and electrolytes. They usually provide a good ballpark indication of portion size, i.e. how much of this stuff you should be drinking/hour. You can then tweak it from there.

For longer races I go with 200 kcal/hour, which is about 2 scoops of EFS in a 24oz water bottle/hour.

I have used EFS as my main race nutrition source for years, including 70.3s and IM.

Good luck!"

Edited by SSauce 2018-06-19 4:39 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt tabs Rss Feed